CADETS NNJ DEBUT

You obviously can't please everyone but I am surprised that people hate a song selection BECAUSE of the melody instead of the usual complaint of a lack of melodic content or poor arrangement. I guess there's a first for dissenters aswell... And hasn't DCI come so far! Too familiar is now a negative.

It will also be interesting to watch how many people change their mind by the end of the year...

For me Im totally digging this show. I happen to get the warm and fuzzies when I hear these tunes unlike the others who apparently got coal in their stockings every year as a kid!! :P

But I am happy with the show so far! Excited to see it on the field! Merry Christmas!

the fact there is melody is great IMO. it's just that the bookends have one feel, and Jingle Bells as it is now feels way out of place. if it were like 2001-2003 where you had 3/4 tunes all widly different in feel, that'd be one thing.

But as I said earlier, what Cadets give you in June isn't what you get in August, and I look forward to seeing where it goes from here!

• Like 3

You obviously can't please everyone but I am surprised that people hate a song selection BECAUSE of the melody instead of the usual complaint of a lack of melodic content or poor arrangement. I guess there's a first for dissenters aswell... And hasn't DCI come so far! Too familiar is now a negative.

It will also be interesting to watch how many people change their mind by the end of the year...

For me Im totally digging this show. I happen to get the warm and fuzzies when I hear these tunes unlike the others who apparently got coal in their stockings every year as a kid!! :P

But I am happy with the show so far! Excited to see it on the field! Merry Christmas!

the fact there is melody is great IMO. it's just that the bookends have one feel, and Jingle Bells as it is now feels way out of place. if it were like 2001-2003 where you had 3/4 tunes all widly different in feel, that'd be one thing.

But as I said earlier, what Cadets give you in June isn't what you get in August, and I look forward to seeing where it goes from here!

I must be deaf because Carol of Bells, Jingle Bells, The Ballad, and the Closer, all seem like they have different feels and emotion to them.

Carol of the Bells: FAST, aggressive, intense,

Jingle Bells: Jazzy, Fun, Playful

Ballad: Slow, Dark, Emotional

Closer: Reverent, Cadet-Drum Corps,

Or am I crazy for liking this show? :tongue:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 6

I must be deaf because Carol of Bells, Jingle Bells, The Ballad, and the Closer, all seem like they have different feels and emotion to them.

Carol of the Bells: FAST, aggressive, intense,

Jingle Bells: Jazzy, Fun, Playful

Ballad: Slow, Dark, Emotional

Closer: Reverent, Cadet-Drum Corps,

Or am I crazy for liking this show? :tongue:

Your adjectives are going to force me to like this show. :bigsmile:

• Like 2

All the fuss about the Cadets playing Christmas music......

Most probably don't remember them playing "Angels We Have Heard On High" as part of their 1971 show.

Part of the Revolutionary War show to represent the Christmas Eve Battle Of Trenton between the Colonials (sopranos) and the Hessians (lower brass).

I remember it; I marched that show on tri-tom. :tongue:

I don't normally post here although I do read a lot of the threads. Here is my two cents. I have some insight from a couple of veteran Cadets who, when the Christmas theme was announced were not too happy. However, about a week and a half after move-ins, they quickly came to realize that this show wasn't going to be a cheesy, hit-you-over-the-head with a Christmas tree type show. The musical book is very challenging, even moreso that last year, and the drill is crazy fast in many places which is typical Cadets. Most importantly, the kids are having fun and loving it.

For those folks who are already putting the lid on the Cadets this year, shame on you. From my meanderings on DCP, I think they are one of the only corps who give us all something to look at this early in the season. So, you don't like Christmas music. So what? There is a lot of music I don't particularly care for but can appreciate nonetheless when it is presented in a unique and creative way.

Christmas music or not, don't count the Cadets out this year. The members are loving what they are doing and that means a lot. Let's just wait and see how things progress before we pass judgment on a corps that has the guts to actually let you see what they are up to pre-season. :)

• Like 7