CADETS NNJ DEBUT

The show isn't grabbing me yet. I'm actually not a big fan of the arranging, and I'm usually fond of his arrangements.

The swing section had an awful feel. Then again... I think the only drum corps I've ever heard achieve a nice swing were BD, Crossmen, Madison....

Carol of the Bells became annoying to me.

Electronic stuff I wasn't too impressed... really you can't do Carol of the Bells acoustically??? Really??? Bells? In a percussion section??? NEVER!

Sorry to sound overly negative... I'm just not into the show right now.

Positives,

Really good early season brass sounds out of the Cadets.

Pit sounds great, Guard looks to be spinning well and it seems like their work is very effective, and clean enough to where it caught my eye often and I was able to say "alright!"

Well we all know the rewrites and additions will come, and so will many hours of rehearsal. So I hope the Cadets change my mind! It's gonna be hard... I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas music... and the current arrangements added almost no depth to music with zero depth to begin with. It just sounds like drumcorpsized christmas carols. Or Christmas Carols at fast tempos, with a lot of ornaments added in. HA A PUN! Granted there's not much you can really do with Carol of the Bells.... I know I couldn't do any better so what am I complaining about?

Oh I still hate Christmas music...

And the fact that after finals it's only going to be a couple of months until I'm forced to listen it to on the radio at work all day, I'll probably stab my ear drums out by then.

Sorry Cadets... your show just might not be accesible to me. It's not you, it's me.......

well I guess it is a little bit your fault.

:worthy: I totally agree with you! The performers are doing a great job as always but I think Hopkins is just looking for a gimmick or something. Why not have another annoying Jeffery character again?

• Like 1

not really...

Oh so you wanted more electric guitar and synthesizer. I knew you were progressive at heart!

a little more synth sure. I meant as a feel...more of a driving ock out kind of thing, not just an aggressive classical approach. Think more Rach Star than Motley Crue

so you'll be the Cadets version of Plan9.

This person has already sent me a harassing PM! Not cool. I dont care if you dont like my post but dont send me PM about it.

• Like 2

:worthy: I totally agree with you! The performers are doing a great job as always but I think Hopkins is just looking for a gimmick or something. Why not have another annoying Jeffery character again?

like dancing with christmas packages ...

Do you really think that? Cadets didn't achieve a nice swing in Moondance 2001 or Cool 2009?

HH

Not to mention one of my faves of theirs earlier this century..."Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". That and "Moondance" are two of my Cadet Highlights since 2000.

This person has already sent me a harassing PM! Not cool. I dont care if you dont like my post but dont send me PM about it.

Harassing? Hardly! I'm not the one harassing members of corps calling them a waste of talent! That's harassment.

Have a very happy season and I will personally pay for your hotdog while you leave during cadets show :D

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Forget the placement... I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorites year!

LOVED the Dreidel/Jingle Bells swing section! They even added a park and blow for us dinos! :cool:

Are they still playing "Do You Hear What I Hear"? I loved the clip I heard earlier in the season.

Edited by skajerk

Forget the placement... I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorites year!

LOVED the Dreidel/Jingle Bells swing section! They even added a park and blow for us dinos! :cool:

Are they still playing "Do You Hear What I Hear"? I loved the clip I heard earlier in the season.

Yes to "Do You Hear What I Hear?". It's in between when Clip 1 ended and Clip 2 began, and it's quite long and really, really pretty.

• Like 2

That's actually a good point -- the video posted from the NJ outside performance is missing what's supposed to be the high point (or a big one) of the show -- Do You Hear What I Hear? It's between Jingle and Hark/Ending.

Do you really think that? Cadets didn't achieve a nice swing in Moondance 2001 or Cool 2009? Cavies didn't swing the "Mile Davis" in 2002 or some of the Bond in 2004? Bluecoats not swinging at all? Just asking in case you cut your list short by accident!

HH

EDIT: I think I made a mistake. The Cavies' "Miles Davis" swing might have been 2000. Or 2001? No, it was 2000. I think.

I left out Bluecoats... and I think that's it.

Drum corps isn't really known for getting the whole swing thing right.... they try though...