CADETS NNJ DEBUT

I Hate Christmas Music! I actually like this a lot. Great arrangements. Juicy Juicy Percussion Parts! Well Done Cadets!

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

Hey, there's still plenty of time to add lots of 2002/6/8/10 cheese once we see the full program! It's never too late to write a few voiceovers for "Little Santa"... :rolleyes:

Seriously, if they keep the Velveeta in the food truck, I think they'll likely get the show to "fun". It doesn't look to me like "great" or "game-changing" are very plausible. But it also doesn't look like a total design disaster a la 2008.

There is some of that kind of cheese with the "Oh Yea" bit you can hear in the recording...

I still am NOT going to dismiss this show quite yet.

The Cadets seem to enjoy taking BIG risks ( for them) the year after they win... This is just a continuation.

Regardless of how The Cadets do, what I love about all their off-season, early-season video/audio clips is that they give many people a chance to hear part of the process from initial musical thoughts, to re-writes, to show idea changes, to visual design. It's never as easy as people may think. It's great insight into the process, even if it's just a brief look.

A few other corps are starting to take note and offering us some inside looks into the process, but in too many cases the best corps still seem to be too secretive. Some of this I understand. I sat on the board of the Bluecoats for a number of years (very classy organization and still my hometown corps). Much of their music over the years has been strictly copyrighted, and the permission to use it and arrange it comes with some serious conditions. I suspect many deal with the same restrictions. The notion of posting music on the internet, on Youtube, etc. is still a difficult thing for many in this business.

Finally, I think this show is going to do better than many folks expect. I love the musical book and think that some re-writes will make all the difference (and you know those are coming). It will not be easy. They have their work cut out for them, but that's the fun part of drum corps...that and performing.

• Like 4

There is some of that kind of cheese with the "Oh Yea" bit you can hear in the recording...

I still am NOT going to dismiss this show quite yet.

The Cadets seem to enjoy taking BIG risks ( for them) the year after they win... This is just a continuation.

I can't imagine the "oh yeah" stuff stays in. I'm surprised it's STILL in.

Hey, there's still plenty of time to add lots of 2002/6/8/10 cheese once we see the full program! It's never too late to write a few voiceovers for "Little Santa"... :rolleyes:

Seriously, if they keep the Velveeta in the food truck, I think they'll likely get the show to "fun". It doesn't look to me like "great" or "game-changing" are very plausible. But it also doesn't look like a total design disaster a la 2008.

The amount of times you've mentioned cheese in your description of this show makes me think you WANT them to add it in. I'll bring you a large pizza with extra cheese from Brooklyn. :devil:

• Like 3

You obviously can't please everyone but I am surprised that people hate a song selection BECAUSE of the melody instead of the usual complaint of a lack of melodic content or poor arrangement. I guess there's a first for dissenters aswell... And hasn't DCI come so far! Too familiar is now a negative.

It will also be interesting to watch how many people change their mind by the end of the year...

For me Im totally digging this show. I happen to get the warm and fuzzies when I hear these tunes unlike the others who apparently got coal in their stockings every year as a kid!! :P

But I am happy with the show so far! Excited to see it on the field! Merry Christmas!

• Like 5

It sounds good, but I'm not really sure about it yet. I'll wait to pass judgement until I see it live on Saturday night in Akron.

You obviously can't please everyone but I am surprised that people hate a song selection BECAUSE of the melody instead of the usual complaint of a lack of melodic content or poor arrangement. I guess there's a first for dissenters aswell... And hasn't DCI come so far! Too familiar is now a negative.

It will also be interesting to watch how many people change their mind by the end of the year...

For me Im totally digging this show. I happen to get the warm and fuzzies when I hear these tunes unlike the others who apparently got coal in their stockings every year as a kid!! :P

But I am happy with the show so far! Excited to see it on the field! Merry Christmas!

For me, it isn't necessarily a complaint about their show having melody, it's that my standards for them were raised because of last year's show and I kinda wanted something that would be just as aggressive and creative as or even better than last year's show. Not saying this show isn't going to be good, because I don't know yet obviously, but Christmas music doesn't really do much for me in terms of drum corps.

All the fuss about the Cadets playing Christmas music......

Most probably don't remember them playing "Angels We Have Heard On High" as part of their 1971 show.

I wasn't even thought of by my parents then. :blink: