Weekend scores not announced until Monday night

I guess now days you can leave and then go home and find out the scores online so as to beat the rush out of the lot. Makes a lot of sense actually.

I plead guilty on this a few times myself, especially if its a mid week show. Some of the shows can get over late, then there's the ride home, and if you've got work the next day, that work day can seem longer than usual.

I plead guilty on this a few times myself, especially if its a mid week show. Some of the shows can get over late, then there's the ride home, and if you've got work the next day, that work day can seem longer than usual.

Even before my kid was marching I rarely stayed for scores (unless I wanted to hear the encore). Scores are available immediately on the net and sometimes being early out of the lot can save you 30-45 minutes of travel time.

Of course now I just want to spend a little time with the kid before she jumps back on the bus :-) I generally watch the entire show and then book it to the lot.

• Like 2

Even before my kid was marching I rarely stayed for scores (unless I wanted to hear the encore). Scores are available immediately on the net and sometimes being early out of the lot can save you 30-45 minutes of travel time.

Of course now I just want to spend a little time with the kid before she jumps back on the bus :-) I generally watch the entire show and then book it to the lot.

the parking lot is actually more active than in the stadium for the reasons you say..plus members eating before hiting the road again..Many times its almost empty in the stadium. Gone are the days of full retreats so many leave or hit the parking lot.

I guess now days you can leave and then go home and find out the scores online so as to beat the rush out of the lot. Makes a lot of sense actually.

dont have to wait to get home either..can just check your phone from the car too..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Really? Man it's been a tradition to stay until the last note/score at least here for the last 41 years I have been attending shows. Things are different now days I suppose.

I'm the same way (5 years instead of 41 though here). The tickets are too expensive and I don't get to see corps enough (something I would say even if I got to go to every show) to leave early. I almost always stay until after the encore unless I'm with a group of kids at a show who need to leave earlier. My general gameplan is get to the show an hour or two early, check out some corps in the lot, check out the souvies and buy/donate as I can, park my butt in a seat and get up when the last note of the night is over. I understand there are extenuating circumstances in some cases but I don't understand showing up for one corps and then leaving. I mean hey...it's your money!

To stay on topic though, I don't really care that scores aren't being released until Monday. Most of the time I prioritize my scores over the announced scores anyway. The only scores that "matter" are the scores given finals week, and then it's only because they are the scores/placements most people remember and by which corps are judged by the community. Scores aren't even really relevant until the first regional either.

Besides, nothing could stop me from being INCREDIBLY EXCITED for this weekend.

1339538210[/url]' post='3147430']

So people won't want to see a show and all the corps in that show if they know the scores/placements ahead of time? Good thing DCI doesn't sell tapes/DVDs of previous years then! Oh wait...they do? Nevermind.

I know they want to supposedly build suspense, but why do the people at the show get gypped out of hearing scores at a competition? Seems silly and annoying. It also tells the people in the stands that they're unimportant. Gotta figure that 90% of the people at a show aren't on DCP, so now they have to go search for scores for a show they were at 2 days prior?

Does no one else see how ret@rded that is?

Personally, it doesn't matter a lot to me if the scores are announced at the show before I get to see it in the movie theater or not. I'm eager for the season to start and the chance to see the corps, so I'll be going to the theater show regardless. Additionally, since most of the corps at the Akron show will not be coming west, this is the only time until finals week when I can see and hear these corps in an environment other than my living room on my TV over the Fan Network. However, I can understand the position that some people may not choose to attend the theater presentation if it is minus the anticipation and suspense of the results, hence DCI's decision to hold back scores and maximize the theater audience. After all, creating the most excitement and hype for the season opener is to the benefit of the activity, by getting more fans involved right from the get go. Far from being "ret@rded", this seems like a pretty smart move on the part of DCI.

As far as "the people at the show getting gypped out of hearing the scores at the competition" I guess I can't find myself sympathizing too much. Personally, if it were me, I'd gladly accept that condition for the trade-off of seeing the first show of the season LIVE, as opposed to on a movie screen where my view is at the mercy of a camera crew, and the sound level is in the control of the theater staff.

Edited by Photographer Jim

Personally, it doesn't matter a lot to me if the scores are announced at the show before I get to see it in the movie theater or not. I'm eager for the season to start and the chance to see the corps, so I'll be going to the theater show regardless. Additionally, since most of the corps at the Akron show will not be coming west, this is the only time until finals week when I can see and hear these corps in an environment other than my living room on my TV over the Fan Network. However, I can understand the position that some people may not choose to attend the theater presentation if it is minus the anticipation and suspense of the results, hence DCI's decision to hold back scores and maximize the theater audience. After all, creating the most excitement and hype for the season opener is to the benefit of the activity, by getting more fans involved right from the get go. Far from being "ret@rded", this seems like a pretty smart move on the part of DCI.

As far as "the people at the show getting gypped out of hearing the scores at the competition" I guess I can't find myself sympathizing too much. Personally, if it were me, I'd gladly accept that condition for the trade-off of seeing the first show of the season LIVE, as opposed to on a movie screen where my view is at the mercy of a camera crew, and the sound level is in the control of the theater staff.

I respectfully disagree entirely. That discounts the fact that people are paying a premium to sit in the stands to see that first show. Do they not matter? Maybe that's the only show they'll get to see all summer. Why do they not deserve the same respect as everyone in the theater?

Like I said, DCI sells videos of past seasons where everyone already knows the results of the show, so I doubt people that still wanna see drum corps would not attend the theater event. It's still about seeing the shows, right? By the same token (of your example), how does that lessen the experience for those sitting in a theater seat?

I've seen and heard Phantom of the Opera a dozen or more times. Doesn't mean I wouldn't go see it on Broadway just because I know how it ends.

I have tickets for the Akron show. It's about a three and a half hour drive from my home. I now find out it's an exhibition. I'm spending a lot of money to see this show. The cost of the Monday theater show would be much less (about a 45 minute drive). I'm a bit miffed to say the least.

I have tickets for the Akron show. It's about a three and a half hour drive from my home. I now find out it's an exhibition. I'm spending a lot of money to see this show. The cost of the Monday theater show would be much less (about a 45 minute drive). I'm a bit miffed to say the least.

My point exactly. Thank you. Disrespectful to people who actually GO to a show. DCI can cry about declining attendance and ticket sales, yet their concerns fall on deaf ears when they do things like this.

do you really go to a DCI show to find out which corps placed where? or to find out if they are going to score an 84 or an 85 that night? The first is generally a given, and the latter doesn't make any impact on how you enjoyed the shows.

What? I said part of the show experience is seeing how they placed. I never said it was a big part, major part, only reason, etc. of why I attend. But it is part of the drum corps show experience and (in a way) not announcing the placement/scores makes it akin to a judged exhibition (from BITD).

I am still looking forward to the show (the weather is going to be great and no sun in your eyes - stands face east) and the corps' shows but still believe the fans in the stands aren't getting the complete package that comes with a drum corps competition.

---

:ph34r: DCI could REALLY bring in the $$$ and build excitement over results by having a theater production 2 days after Finals and announcing the scores then, also :ph34r: