Weekend scores not announced until Monday night

The Akron number is loaded with a fairly significant amount of Bluecoats Alumni that are attending as part of a huge 40th anniversary weekend. All kinds of events starting Friday morning leading up the the show Saturday night. A lot of people that would not be normally be in the fold.

I'm not upset. I'm not going the a show this weekend OR the theater event. But I wont be chalking it up as "DCP Heartburn." The aforementioned alumni event is significant enough that a lot of people with a long time on the outside or on the fringes of the activity will be attending. These folks don't know that DCP even exists. They are just now finding out their weekend of drum corps fun and remembrance will be ending at a competition with no results. One could imagine that this does not shine a favorable light on the current product.

Will they come back into the fold?

I would say seeing the shows and hoping they are more fan friendly will havea far more lasting impact than a lack of scores.

and just how much of he ticket price is hearing scores announced worth?

Does anyone not see the huge bonus here? Thousands of fans nationwide will pay money to see this in the theater, something that before last year, they never could have done!

Not everyone gets the Fan Network, and to some, it may be their only chance to see some of these corps in any way, shape, or form before the quarterfinals cinecast?

I went to both nights of DCI East last year. And Friday, in good weather, when the last corps performed....over half of the ####### crowd got up to leave.They either heard the scores in the lot, looked em up on their phone, or got them when they got home.

I'd imagine half of what was left stayed solely to let the initial rush out the doors before they left.

I didn't see people complaining on here

And as you just said, the stadium at the Texas show was half full. How full would it have been if people hadn't been able to instead go sit in an air-conditioned theater instead and see the same show? So DCI gets to save some face and the kids get to perform to a half-empty stadium? BRILLIANT!! Congrats, DCI. You've officially outsourced drum corps! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I would say seeing the shows and hoping they are more fan friendly will havea far more lasting impact than a lack of scores.

Here's hoping.

My enjoyment of the live performances? Not at all. Is it in the back of my mind at some small level that I won't know who won the event I attended in person? Yes. I guess the biggest problem I have with this is that until I saw this thread, I didn't know how the opening weekend was to be structured. If I hadn't read it, I would have gone to the show expecting a "normal" drum corps show. And honestly, probably thought/said "wth?" when they made some type of announcement over the PA. If you click on the show link at dci.org, nowhere does it say anything about it being different; you have to go to the special headline on their homepage. It hasn't been widely advertised as a different format show; at the very least you would think the shows themselves would say something about their being different.

Actually agree with you on this point (and I'm glad I started the thread!).

It should have been made clear at the time of ticket purchase that the score announcements would be delayed by 48 (or 24) hours.

Last year they didn't say it on the tickets, but they mentioned it pretty heavily at the show itself. Dan Potter gave a pretty good explanation of what was going on and why (mainly, go see the theater broadcast to find out). Really, nobody there had any heartburn about it - didn't get a reaction at all.

Mike

They either heard the scores in the lot...

Well, at least they had the chance.....j/k :satisfied:

Last year they didn't say it on the tickets, but they mentioned it pretty heavily at the show itself. Dan Potter gave a pretty good explanation of what was going on and why (mainly, go see the theater broadcast to find out).

I'll make sure to cheer extra-loud to make the theater experience that much better - will there be audience cue cards? :peek:

And as you just said, the stadium at the Texas show was half full. How full would it have been if people hadn't been able to instead go sit in an air-conditioned theater instead and see the same show? So DCI gets to save some face and the kids get to perform to a half-empty stadium? BRILLIANT!! Congrats, DCI. You've officially outsourced drum corps! :thumbup:

odds are..................................................

No. it was early season drum corps, in an area with horribly hot weather. I highly doubt the theater affected attendance, and I'll tell you why.

Look at quarterfinals. Always the smallest crowd of the three days for finals week. Always has been, always will be. But now having the cinecast allows more people to see it than ever, even if it is only some of the show and not all.

Semis....always the middle sized crowd. Always has been, always will be. Yet with the Fan Network, more people can now see it than ever.

I highly doubt having the theater for quarters or theFNfor semis has impacted ticket sales much at all, and that's because of the way DCI packages tickets for finals week.

One more set of facts to throw out.

In 2009, the first east coast show was in Chambersburg PA. Stadium about 90% full. No live broadcast, anything like that. Last year, the show was 3 weeks later, after the initial cinecast and most if not all of the shows being up on the Fan Network. Guess what....the place was about 90% full.

But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good rant. I just hopeyou reply to me with as much anger and venom as you did Marwan.

My enjoyment of the live performances? Not at all. Is it in the back of my mind at some small level that I won't know who won the event I attended in person? Yes. I guess the biggest problem I have with this is that until I saw this thread, I didn't know how the opening weekend was to be structured. If I hadn't read it, I would have gone to the show expecting a "normal" drum corps show. And honestly, probably thought/said "wth?" when they made some type of announcement over the PA. If you click on the show link at dci.org, nowhere does it say anything about it being different; you have to go to the special headline on their homepage. It hasn't been widely advertised as a different format show; at the very least you would think the shows themselves would say something about their being different.

No offense, but I hope you didn't intend that to be as snarky as it came off...

nah, I make my snark much more obvious

Well, at least they had the chance.....j/k :satisfied:

I'll make sure to cheer extra-loud to make the theater experience that much better - will there be audience cue cards? :peek:

only if Howie, Sharon and Howard show up

• Like 1

I have tickets for the Akron show. It's about a three and a half hour drive from my home. I now find out it's an exhibition. I'm spending a lot of money to see this show. The cost of the Monday theater show would be much less (about a 45 minute drive). I'm a bit miffed to say the least.

I'll trade! You go to the theater and I'll go see a real live show! You can have the scores, I'll just skip the scores and get them later. thumbup.gif

• Like 5