Cadets 2012

The bolded word is not something I ever used to associate with The Cadets....

IMO, while they can be seen as effective, there is nothing inherently "Cadets" about a company front. Every single corps has done them at one point or another. Just because they've ended with one for since 2007 doesn't make it a signature move in my eyes. Just makes it stale.

Every year I look forward to what the Cadets will pull off for their closer, and lately, that mystery has disappeared because we get... yet another... company front.

I hate to sound like I'm complaining, because you all know how much I LOVE Cadets, but company fronts are getting stale to me as well. It's like last year I wished they had done some sort of maze-type drill move where the Angels were weaving out of the demons and they ended the drill in some sort of form that separated the Angels from the Demons...but another company front. JS proved time and time again he is one HECK of a drill-writer, but I believe the ending could have been a lot more hectic than it was.

I guess I can't really comment too negatively on this year's ending until I actually see it though. :smile:

I think the final set in a 3 minute closer should hardly call for such an outpouring of horror, betrayal, frustration from loyalists. I think it's a powerful and intimate way to end a show that has them all over the field for most of the 10 minutes.

Now man up and clap when u see it.

• Like 1

Hmm, well, yeah, hmm...that's a lot of voice in it now. I like some of it - the Grinch, and some of the other more subtle parts as they are in the two circular shapes - very atmospheric. Not sure about the solo singer at the end leading into the front. Makes me want to look for pink tables and a rabbit...

The guard work as they start the "promenade" business is much improved, with them no longer starting by twos, holding the silk and doing some very awkward looking pole work. That was rather a mess waiting to be fixed at some point. Much more visual now.

I think I preferred the X as well. It needed some more zazz, but another company front is not very zazzy. More like burp the baby than throw the baby.

Good news - more weeks ahead to try something else! This doesn't seem like it will set the GE scores on fire, but there is still time!

I think the final set in a 3 minute closer should hardly call for such an outpouring of horror, betrayal, frustration from loyalists. I think it's a powerful and intimate way to end a show that has them all over the field for most of the 10 minutes.

Horror and betrayal? No...

Frustration? Yep.

From a corps that made its name being at the cutting edge of the activity and exploring new ideas and tools, from a director who openly worries about the stagnation of the activity...

We're given a company front to end the show for the 6th year in a row.

Don't get me wrong, the show is solid. I'm enjoying it more and more with each viewing. I just expect more from them. They've given me more jaw-dropping drum corps moments than any other corps and in that way, they've created this high-expecation monster that's typing this post.

I want more, ######. :)

Hmm, well, yeah, hmm...that's a lot of voice in it now. I like some of it - the Grinch, and some of the other more subtle parts as they are in the two circular shapes - very atmospheric. Not sure about the solo singer at the end leading into the front. Makes me want to look for pink tables and a rabbit...

I dunno -- that sort of works for me. Good changes overall.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the singer, mainly because I think they snuck a little bit of this into the pit, underneath the Charlie Brown and Grinch talking.

LOVE Edward!

The contrast between the voice and the brass entrance is actually pretty effective.

And I LOVE hearing all the stuff that gets into show via the pit. Great scissorhands clip !