Louisville Scores are Up

I'm calling hooey on the brass score at Louisville and I don't care if I offend someone. There is NO WAY that Cavies' brass was better than Bluecoats in Louisville. If you were there, please feel free to respond. Interestingly enough, Bluecoats were tied for first in brass the night before.

Why were Cavies third in brass at Louisville? Look at the brass judge.

Hmmm...Where does he work?

He is one of the band directors at Carmel High School with who? Oh yes, Richard Saucedo, as well as a few other Cavalier friendly faces--Michael Gaines and Mike McIntosh.

I don't remember the last time I questioned judging, if ever. Bad numbers management or bad ears, one or the other.

Gotta agree with you here, buddy! I was at Akron, and I doubt their brass performance was that much different in the span of one day. The Bluecoats brass line is WAY beyond the Cavaliers...like .8 better. This is just bad judging, but who knows? Maybe Blooo had a meltdown or some phasing that the judge happened to catch. At any rate, I will be very surprised if Cavies continue to beat BLOOO in brass. I just do not see it.

Oh well, good luck to all the corps.

It was interesting to see Crown drop so much in percussion while Blue Stars went up so much. 1.1 spread down to .1 spread. I agree with the second judge...

• Like 1

I'm calling hooey on the brass score at Louisville and I don't care if I offend someone. There is NO WAY that Cavies' brass was better than Bluecoats in Louisville. If you were there, please feel free to respond. Interestingly enough, Bluecoats were tied for first in brass the night before.

Why were Cavies third in brass at Louisville? Look at the brass judge.

Hmmm...Where does he work?

He is one of the band directors at Carmel High School with who? Oh yes, Richard Saucedo, as well as a few other Cavalier friendly faces--Michael Gaines and Mike McIntosh.

I don't remember the last time I questioned judging, if ever. Bad numbers management or bad ears, one or the other.

Wow! Andy Cook is one of the most genuine and honest people one could meet! I cannot believe someone who post something like this ... clearly you have NO clue what you are talking about ... not one ounce ...

• Like 3

Wow! Andy Cook is one of the most genuine and honest people one could meet! I cannot believe someone who post something like this ... clearly you have NO clue what you are talking about ... not one ounce ...

Were you there? There are many people who are sharing this same thought about placements. Ask anyone who was there.

• Like 5

Were you there? There are many people who are sharing this same thought about placements. Ask anyone who was there.

You can dispute the placements all you want, but I think SCVBrass80 is commenting on your attack on Andy Cook's character, not his scores.

• Like 2

I probably should have been more clear than to suggest that there was some sort of intentional and evil plot. Perhaps subliminally, Mr. Cook has a high perception of the Cavaliers based on his very close work with people involved in that organization. Perhaps this perception subconsciously biases his senses, even to a teeny, tiny degree.

• Like 3

I probably should have been more clear than to suggest that there was some sort of intentional and evil plot. Perhaps subliminally, Mr. Cook has a high perception of the Cavaliers based on his very close work with people involved in that organization. Perhaps this perception subconsciously biases his senses, even to a teeny, tiny degree.

I don't see it as a "conspiracy" or an "evil plot" but as just a personal opinion on what was seen. You've seen all the different opinions on each of the shows so far, with each show having people that just don't care for that show and each show having people applaud a fantastic show. Everyone has their own opinion on what was good, what was entertaining and who should win. The judges are no different, each one has different tastes so you should actually see some fluctuation in the scores from show to show. They are all using the same criteria but obviously each one will have a different interpretation on how it went based on what they personally saw and remember from the show.

It was interesting to see Crown drop so much in percussion while Blue Stars went up so much. 1.1 spread down to .1 spread. I agree with the second judge...

Different sheets, different criteria. I wish I could get my hands on the TOC sheets. They looked like caption descriptions from the late 80's with Technique and Musicality rather than Content and Achievement. The recaps have been changed to reflect the latter .. but that's now how they were posted last night. I can see a big point swing happening based on judging those different criteria from one night to the next.

Not that I think it makes a whole heck of a lot of difference (can you tell I'm southern), but PJ Stadium is enormous and wide open - the sound there is tough. I've participated and seen/heard quite a few comps in that place - great for fans, visually - tough on bands, musically. I happened to be there, in the front row - because I knew I was seeing the visual part in a theater the next day so I wanted to get the full blast of the music... and personally... I think the scores are fairly accurate, but most importantly, the placements were dead on. It's exactly how I felt it should be when I walked away at the end of the night.