George Hopkins

DCI should only have rules in place to support FAIRNESS and nothing else. Woodwinds should be allowed as well as complete use of electronics, including sampling. There's simply no real reason to prevent these changes. It's going to happen eventually, so just get on board now.

• Like 3

DCI should only have rules in place to support FAIRNESS and nothing else. Woodwinds should be allowed as well as complete use of electronics, including sampling. There's simply no real reason to prevent these changes. It's going to happen eventually, so just get on board now.

IMO, your taste in music tells me much more about your opinion of the activity than does your post.

No thanks to both.

• Like 2

It has become clear to me that GH puts the needs of YEA before the needs of DCI. This is not a slam on him, this is his job as the Executive Director of YEA. Now that George is off of the DCI board, he can submit his proposals to DCI ad nauseam. Hopefully the current board can put the needs of DCI over the needs or wants of particular corps. I have to say I feel this way about all of the G7 corps, and any other corps that acts in this manner.

That being said, I'm sure The Cadets could make great use of some woodwinds in their ranks. The design staff would make it work to their advantage and the corps popularity in the general marketplace might increase. It would be a bad idea for DCI though.

• Like 1

So I take it you're not a G7 fan with all it's "fairness" and progressive cutting-edge-ness.

Just wondering, what's the stock market going to do tomorrow?

Maybe the winning Mega Lotto numbers for Friday?

Is it possible that not enough people care about it anymore BECAUSE of the changes he's pushed? Drum corps relies on fan support and the largest segment of the fan base are either long time fans or corps alumni. IMO, DCI and the changes made by George Hopkins have been the largest single factor in the alienation/disenfranchisement of the diehard fanbase. Self-fulfilling prophecy, IYAM.

Well said!

I think before joining any drum corps or going to a drum corps show if you're a fan, everyone should be required to read "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson M.D.

Here is a Marching Roundtable Podcast with GH talking about why he wants woodwinds.

"For the future possibility of music education."

"Drum corps, as it stands now, I dont think is really a viable, doesn't have a viable platform enough to go forward."

"There is just not enough people who care about it anymore."

All this and more here, My link

I find it interesting that they took away everything that made the Drum and Bugle Corps activity unique and then wonder where the fans went.

• Like 3

except BOA and USBands are dealing with schools, not independent groups, and don't pull in nearly the bodies drum corps does. Diehards dont go marching to MetLife Stadium to see USBands championships.

But those groups are not the Major Leagues of Marching Music. The Cadets would still be the Cadets with a full WW section...as would any World Class corps. Its a bogus argument to try and look at attendance at a HS Band show..even the top, and try to compare it to DCI World Class.

There are threads ad nauseum tying to figure out where the very best HS bands would place in DCI...nobody places them close to the top of World Class.

IMO, your taste in music tells me much more about your opinion of the activity than does your post.

No thanks to both.

Whoa... since when did my taste in music have anything to do with my ability to reason and create opinions on the direction DCI should take? What we have here is a logical fallacy, often used instead of actually arguing with the points made. Good job.

We don't need to keep the movies black and white, folks.

I would say that before instrumentation changes, there were still a lot of older alums attending shows. At least, that's what I remember from my marching days in the mid-90's. Now I don't see a lot of older alums sporting corps jackets and all that at DCI shows.

Its like old home week at shows I attend here in the NJ area. A great mix of newer fans and legacy fans.