The Martin(i) Bar - Shaken Edition - Weds. 6/20/12

Martin, TN is in the "Mid South", not the Midwest...

Maybe there are a lot of unemployed in the area...

Hopefully there's still a show there next year...

Yeah, when I posted I thought I was in the Battle Creek thread. That's ok, though. Attendance was just bad.

I am interested seeing how Boston fits into all of this.

Well, I probably wouldn't call Martin, TN "east coast" but I get it.satisfied.gif

Well, it was termed Midwest earlier in this thread, so have at it! tongue.gif

Yeah, when I posted I thought I was in the Battle Creek thread. That's ok, though. Attendance was just bad.

I am interested seeing how Boston fits into all of this.

Oh wow. Attendance was bad in Battle Creek too? Well, I know they're having financial problems in Michigan, so maybe that's a factor? huh2.gif

Scores from this time last year...

CAVALIERS- 74.35

CADETS- 72.60

BLUE DEVILS- 72.55

CAROLINA CROWN- 70.60

BLUECOATS- 70.15

PHANTOM REGIMENT- 69.10

VANGUARD- 67.50

BLUE STARS-66.20

so?

different sheets, totally different shows, no corps has the exact same membership....

in other words, comparing year to year means jack ####### ####

• Like 1

Oh wow. Attendance was bad in Battle Creek too? Well, I know they're having financial problems in Michigan, so maybe that's a factor? huh2.gif

In the pics I saw in the Battle Creek thread, I thought attendance looked pretty solid. Perhaps some of these shows should be held in smaller stadiums.

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 2

Sure we do! :)

Ha!

Some quick notes:

If a corps says that the title of the program is X, then it should be apparent in the show.

Xmen: If I didn't know their title was "Fragile," I'd never be able to tell from the show. Lots of easy listening jazz. Ends on a down note.

Spirit: Vegas show theme is quite apparent and they have some nice, crowd-engaging moments. It's well-designed, just needs some layering and cleaning.

Crown: Great playing. Lots of movement, but some of it doesn't fit the musical score. The drill is hurting body carriage at the moment, and I saw a lot of "mouth-breathers" as they're called. I get the superhuman aspect of the show, but "For the Common Good" isn't coming out strong. Need to work on thematic presentation. Also, the whistles are ###### annoying.

Cavaliers: Yet another that doesn't have the theme clearly presented. There are some fame-type "look at me" moments, and the ballad presents an obvious feeling of emptiness; but more needs to be layered in. The dubstep patch near the end is overwhelming, and I felt that it was unnecessary. It came out of nowhere. Their ending still isn't in yet. Lots of brass issues.

Cadets: The theme is well represented and isn't as bad as Christmas in the summer sounded like it would be. Jingle Bells in a jazz/swing arrangement is nice. Crowd got into it. Their ending was in, but I'll have to say that if that's all they were leaving out at Akron, the bpm excuse was unjustified.

Now, if you want me to say all that I really think, I can post a no-holds-barred review in the next day or two.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1

Now, if you want me to say all that I really think, I can post a no-holds-barred review in the next day or two.

Who told you to hold back to begin with!?!

As Tina would say... "Hit me again, Ike. But this time, put some STANK on it!" (h/t Ace).

• Like 1

Martin, TN is in the "Mid South", not the Midwest...

Maybe there are a lot of unemployed in the area...

Hopefully there's still a show there next year...

Well, living in North Alabama, I can say that shows within a decent driving distance from me have been going down hill recently. First, the Russelville, AL show got dropped (after 07 I think). Now, the Gadsden, AL show got dropped this year.

Shows in the area seem to have attendance more driven by high schools or Spirit alumni. And judging by the shape of many music programs and the economy in just Alabama (TN is slightly more of a mystery in this to me), it seems that attendance drops seem to come from schools not being able to afford to take their bands to see these shows, and students not being able to afford the tickets. Also, it may be that many wait for the Murfreesboro, TN show instead (especially since it used to host the top 12 and is now a TOC show).

Whatever the real reason, Martin, TN has been dropping in attendance in recent years; however, I didn't expect such a large drop in attendance this year. I hope this show stays open, it's the only chance I get to see early season corps around here anymore.