The Martin(i) Bar - Shaken Edition - Weds. 6/20/12

@boxingfred made his Twitter feed protected. :(

I did not know that! I'll fix it! Thanks for telling me!

Just popped in to say WOW CROWN and nice thread title.

Can't wait for the first regional. It's gonna be good.

Well, living in North Alabama, I can say that shows within a decent driving distance from me have been going down hill recently. First, the Russelville, AL show got dropped (after 07 I think). Now, the Gadsden, AL show got dropped this year.

Shows in the area seem to have attendance more driven by high schools or Spirit alumni. And judging by the shape of many music programs and the economy in just Alabama (TN is slightly more of a mystery in this to me), it seems that attendance drops seem to come from schools not being able to afford to take their bands to see these shows, and students not being able to afford the tickets. Also, it may be that many wait for the Murfreesboro, TN show instead (especially since it used to host the top 12 and is now a TOC show).

Whatever the real reason, Martin, TN has been dropping in attendance in recent years; however, I didn't expect such a large drop in attendance this year. I hope this show stays open, it's the only chance I get to see early season corps around here anymore.

I also live in North Alabama. Truth is, the few High Schools that bring groups to show, go to the MTSU contest. Another thing, speaking as a designer, this is not a drum corps friendly environment in several ways. This is not a "high brow" competitive area. Most directors will not let their kids march.I also know for a fact that housing is VERY hard to get in Alabama. One director that hosted an event (well attended one at that) said "It took me 76 calls to house 5 corps".

As far as Martin, it's kind of "out of the way". Northwest Tennessee is very rural, no major cities close (Memphis is just over 2 1/2 hours and Nashville is even more) and I bet those that would drive are saving money for Masters. People in Alabama would more then likely go to Dothan on Thursday.

Edited by CloudHype

UT-Martin … a review

5th Place – The Crossmen

The Crossmen – this year’s program is the best Crossmen program in several years. The corps started out very strong and all elements were hitting well. As the program went on the energy sagged a bit, especially in the upper horn line and the guard. Guard needs to hang on to their equipment more and during that big synronized flag movement in the middle of the corps in the middle of the field; it needs a lot of work. HOWEVER, this show has what it takes to squeak into the top 12 with a lot of work. LOVE the closer!

4th Place – Spirit of Atlanta

Spirit of Atlanta – Show concept is Vegas and it was genius! The best “program” of the night. The opener was on fire. Vegas flags and LOTS of energy. I did think the show went a little flat toward the end, but this was the first show of the year so that is to be expected. This show can and will surprise a lot of people this year. I’m going out on a limb and put this corps in the top 8 this year. Fantastic program and with little tweaking it can be the SENSATION of the year! LOVE it! This program is top notch!

3rd The Cavaliers

Ok, this program was little all over the place. I have read the demise of The Cavies in other post … nothing here that can’t be fixed. First, stop trying to act like another corps (one from California that wears blue) and be who you are. I found myself thinking several times that they were trying to be something they’re not. Guard (rifles in particular) were dead on, but sometimes guard seemed a little lost in the transition. Where I got lost in the “15 Minutes of Fame” was connecting the dots between the segments. The audio and “noise” from the pit was “lost in translation”. The odd sounds and sound bites did nothing for this show. The entire pit audio segment needs to be scrapped and rethink. Horn line played well and I noticed the drums were play matched grip again and what I call “flat” drums. Show needs some tweaking, but as is it’s a 7 place show come August.

2nd The Cadets

Standard fare for them. Solid in all captions and guard is brilliant. Show started off strongest of all the corps, but corps was running out of gas towards the end. Of course this will improve as the season goes on. This program has the capability of winning DCI. Accessible music and crowd got into the 12 – 25 idea. First 2/3’s of the program was very good, but towards the end of the show it seemed to lose gas, then BAM the last of the program was a blur of moving forms and excitement … should be interesting to see where this program goes when I see them again in Atlanta.

1st Carolina Crown

Fanfare for the Common Man … Ok, the opener is very familiar to many of us and they sewed that familiar thread of music throughout the show. Guard costumes at the beginning (they change mid way) was “God AWEFUL” (Green Hornet meets Green Lantern). I thought he show was “monocromematic” and everything on the field was a shade of beige and gold. I hope the final product from the color guard gives us some color. No big gripes with this program. The show was cleaver and horn line does have some meat in those runs. I don’t think the show will win them a ring, but who knows. Early in the season and Crown is enjoying some early success. I didn't have them 1st, but what do I know, I'm just a homer.

• Like 3

Great review!

Edited by RockEuph

aw poop.

NVM.

probably was the tears in my eyes from reading the ashes to ashes thread.

thanks for pointing out my misread. I blame ..... Tekk! Is he in this thread?

:rock:

I was asleep.

I also live in North Alabama. Truth is, the few High Schools that bring groups to show, go to the MTSU contest. Another thing, speaking as a designer, this is not a drum corps friendly environment in several ways. This is not a "high brow" competitive area. Most directors will not let their kids march.I also know for a fact that housing is VERY hard to get in Alabama. One director that hosted an event (well attended one at that) said "It took me 76 calls to house 5 corps".

As far as Martin, it's kind of "out of the way". Northwest Tennessee is very rural, no major cities close (Memphis is just over 2 1/2 hours and Nashville is even more) and I bet those that would drive are saving money for Masters. People in Alabama would more then likely go to Dothan on Thursday.

New poster here, from Clarksville, TN (originally, I'm not close to it now). Martin is a good deal from any large city and the roads to and from aren't terribly easy. I know that the trip from Clarksville, one of the closer large towns, is 2 hours on one-lane roads on a weeknight. Jackson and Paducah are closer, but it's still a significant commitment. The biggest business in Martin itself is the university, and it's out of session.

I too was disappointed with the crowd size, but not the corps.

I will write a full review later, but for now...

5th place Crossmen

Better yet again this year. Start off strong. Guard not as strong as last season. Humable, friendly, elevator jazz.

4th place SOA

Much better this year over a very successful 2011. Wasn't expecting this level this soon from them. Loved it.

3rd place Cavaliers

I tried so hard to enjoy this and assume I was just missing it. ???? Enjoyed Spirit much better.

2nd place Cadets

A joyous surprise. Not sure championship, but excellent.

1st place Crown

Professional. Have up-ed the visual demand a lot. Hate to say it, but Star 1994?

Edited by derbydawg
  • Like 3

I too was disappointed with the crowd size, but not the corps.

I will write a full review later, but for now...

5th place Crossmen

Better yet again this year. Start off strong. Guard not as strong as last season. Humable, friendly, elevator jazz.

4th place SOA

Much better this year over a very successful 2011. Wasn't expecting this level this soon from them. Loved it.

3rd place Cavaliers

I tried so hard to enjoy this and assume I was just missing it. ???? Enjoyed Spirit much better.

2nd place Cadets

A joyous surprise. Not sure championship, but excellent.

1st place Crown

Professional. Have up-ed the visual demand a lot. Hate to say it, but Star 1994?

I may be a little rusty on drum corps history, but wasn't star NOT a competing corps in 1994?