Inside BD 360 trailer

In that case just say you don't like it and move on. Bad mouthing the organization doesn't do anything positive.

Neither does telling other people what they should do.

• Like 1

Ok, contest time. Pick a corps, any corps, and provide the written dialogue for their promotional video and post it here. Me, I choose Pioneer. Will be working on it over the weekend.

Edited by Rocketman

Ok, contest time. Pick a corps, any corps, and provide the written dialogue for their promotional video and post it here. Me, I choose Pioneer. Will be working on it over the weekend.

That's easy...I think Jersey Surf already nailed it!

• Like 3

I find myself not furious at this video... if I had to name my feelings, it would be 'disappointingly un-surprised." Without a doubt, BD performs the heck out of their shows, day in, day out. They often get the most talent, and often have the best staff. The fact that I usually don't care for their product is beside the point.

My problem with the Blue Devils is not that they win- at least, not predominantly (after all, who of us who competed in drum corps aren't just a LITTLE competitive). My problem with them is that I get the feeling that if they won, even with a sloppy, crap performance of a sloppy, crap show, they would be happy. I AM NOT SAYING THEY HAVE EVER DONE THIS. But that's the feeling I get.

And this video seems to confirm my beliefs.

And maybe other corps share this attitude... but I suspect not. And I know that even if they do, they are not up front about it.

Final thought- I know it's a personal belief and there's no real reason here, but I would much rather that line of thinking ("who cares if we were good or not, we won", which to me reeks of 'the end justify the means') stayed hidden. Even if it's there; ignorance is bliss. Then again... maybe i'm naive.

• Like 3

That's easy...I think Jersey Surf already nailed it!

From a corps that strives to just make semi-finals. Good on them. Night and day differences in mentality between those two videos.

Well done Surf.

• Like 2

Far be it from me to tell you not to be ignorant.

My problem with them is that I get the feeling that if they won, even with a sloppy, crap performance of a sloppy, crap show, they would be happy.

Not true. If anyone has any concerns like this through out the summer, go to a show and ask a member. I'm sure they will be glad to confirm/deny your impressions.

• Like 2

Wait, REALLY? They actually put out this kind of video? :thumbdown: Wow.....

Tekk, there's a HUGE difference between being proud of your wins, and crying because you didn't win, and how strange it has to be that DCI didn't let them win last year. This is just ego-stoking at its finest. Where's Plan9 when you need him? I'd really appreciate his read of this one. I don't think you can call jealousy and regional bias on this one, since BD made the video

This is an easy one Bone,.... BD didn't produce this video...it was posted by the Attorney General as a ruse to distract America away from the "Fast and Furious" debacle. rolleyes.gif

And judging by the 20 plus pages in as many hours...mission accomplished!

Simply stated, BD's MM's are like any other DCI corps MM...wishes for life-long friendships, experiences, fun, blah blah blah.....but more importantly, marked with ambition, desire to achieve personal goals, fears of personal failure, daily self-testing right up to the last performance, imagining self-concocted images of being that Rubick's Cube square that isn't exactly where it's supposed to be in that split second, faltering, or missing that note right in the face and ear of a judge and, as such, letting the corps down (even though it may never be said out loud) . And....wearing the uniform that as a high school band kid seemed utterly impossible, unthinkable really, learning so early in life how being part of a search for perfection never leaves you, becoming a blessing and a curse...and in some ways your True North and how you measure and compare everything you will ever do.

This video and the ones that will follow are a collage of these personal stories... and I'm certain it hopes to reach out to that individual that knows this about him or herself. It's an azimuth and light in the distance. Because achievement (both personal and collectively) is what being a Blue Devil means. They are very clear about that from day one. And how the hell can you mention achievement without mentioning achievements? Sure, we can argue about the virtues of being humble and shuffling off, dragging your trophy behind you or the seeming classlessness of being immature and even wearing your ring(s) outside your glove during performances....but that is all part of the story. Think what you must...but this is not arrogance....it's simply a glimpse for those across the world...(and believe me, DCI and BD have a world audience) that want to know what it is to be inside this thing. And maybe..an encouragement that this is achievable and possible among their world of impossibilities. Da Da.

• Like 7

Statements like that easily identify you as someone who's never been married. :w00t:

+++

I like Blue Devils.

Let the flaming begin...

• Like 3