Why Do Drum Corps Arrangers Think They Know Better Than The Great Comp

It won't matter, they won't do it. Especially if your source material is something out of their comfort zone. True story:

In 2009 when I was on brass staff at Teal, I was told by a brass judge that we should "punch up the shout section to make it really big-band like. It doesn't swing enough."

My reply: "It's Justin Timberlane, it's not supposed to swing. Haven't you listened to any of of this stuff?"

Judge: "Never heard of James Timberlake."

Me: /facepalm

Extra credit: Another judge on the same panel didn't know who Christina Aguilera was either.

well i see that as a plus

:tongue:

For symphony, go to a symphony hall. For drum corps got to a football field. For symphony, spend 45 minutes to hear one work. For drum corps, spend about 10 minutes for a corps presentation. For symphony dress up and shut up, for drum corps dress down and scream your lungs out.

The real question is, why do some people offer criticism of drum corps style of arranging for a 10 minute show on a football field, and compare that to the symphony/orchestra/jazz ensemble/wind band etc, when the already know the answer to the question theyre asking? As a way to bag on a corps show without looking like theyre bagging on them?

Since all shows are a bastardized, drum corps version of some piece of music (except for the occasional original piece written for a corps), just stay home as save yourself the trouble of being offended.

Edited by Roark1
  • Like 2

personal attack removed - ds Listen to Grand Wazoo, Blessed Releif, Rollo etc. Zappa has so much stuff out there besides the semi commercial stuff you don't even know.

OK, whatever floats your boat. But I'm more impressed with the musicianship (no denying that Frank always had good players on his recordings and in his groups) than with the content. Anyway it's moot, I suppose - 'cause we can't get the rights!

Thanks for the dialogue,

Fred O.

Edited by Dave
removing personal attack

The first Madison Malaguena was an arrangement of the Bill Holman version for Stan Kenton whiich was an arrangement of the original, that I understand was a guitar piece.

Malaguena was part of a suite written for solo piano, not guitar.

I get where the OP is coming from, but honestly, arrangers' choices are to either play it straight (which most do) or chop/layer it with other pieces to create something "new." It sounds like it's that second option that's causing heartburn.

Mike

I like to watch everyone! There might be a painfully bad hornline or dirty snares but there is always something they do that you go: " Hey that is cool." instead of writing 30 page threads on something I hate or go on a thorough search to find something a person posted 4 months ago just for that gotcha moment.

...he says after only 3,558 posts. :-)

Well let's turn this thread into something positive....

In your "opinions" readers... What drum corps arrangements stick out in your mind as being BETTER than the original? (I know this is blasphemy to some music nerds out there, but I don't take my music degree too seriously and I won't mind weighing in on this subject)

One that comes immediately to mind is the Bluecoats version of Summertime from 1998. I still find myself singing along (even when the recording isn't playing). And whenever I talk about arranging, that's an example I'm quick to share.

The Glassmen's approach to Beethoven's 9th also strikes me as a really cool example of taking an original and adding an artistic commentary. I'm not sure I would call it "better" than the original, but certainly different in an engaging way.

I think SCV's take on the Planets from this year may turn out to be really memorable, but it's still too early to tell. I just remember being impressed by the new twists. (Again, perhaps not better than the original, though)

After hearing the Scouts' Maleguena, Lecuono's (and to some extent Stan Kenton's) versions just don't carry the same punch (and I've played the piano solo version for several recitals--it's great fun to play, but not nearly as much fun as it is to hear when the Scouts play it).

And then there's Copland. Appalachian Spring, anyone? Shaker Tune? Ballet for Martha? (I wonder if SCV paid the Copland estate or a Shaker Village when they went to procure rights). :-)

Personally, I'd like to see even more of this... with more sources and inspiration from a broader range of music, particularly non-western music. This really hasn't been explored enough... some funky eastern or african spices to the same old meat and potatoes instrumentation.

I sort of feel like drum corps is now only beginning to explore different sort of possibilities of sound. I absolutely LOVE what BD is doing this year with sampling...

I agree in part. The idea of branching out into new musical opportunities is excellent. However, half of the fun (in my opinion) is the adaptation. Why use synths and samples to present the original on a football field? If you want that sound, go hear a concert of the original artists or buy a CD. What makes Drum Corps special (or at least used to) was hearing a piano concerto (or string and woodwind parts) played by brass and percussion. It's a new twist to an old idea.

I would love to hear more world music come to DCI, and there are a ton of classics, jazz, and pop tunes that no one has touched. If we want diversity, let's tap into those sources and see what happens. There's still WAY too much out there to have to go to synths just for the sake of diversity.

(As a side note, I'd love to hear Le Jeune's Musique Mesuree style or Janequin's programmatic chansons translated into brass and percussion--the originals are so rhythmic, I think the right arranger would have a blast with it.)

For symphony, go to a symphony hall. For drum corps got to a football field. For symphony, spend 45 minutes to hear one work. For drum corps, spend about 10 minutes for a corps presentation. For symphony dress up and shut up, for drum corps dress down and scream your lungs out.

The real question is, why do some people offer criticism of drum corps style of arranging for a 10 minute show on a football field, and compare that to the symphony/orchestra/jazz ensemble/wind band etc, when the already know the answer to the question they're asking? As a way to bag on a corps show without looking like they're bagging on them?

Since all shows are a bastardized, drum corps version of some piece of music (except for the occasional original piece written for a corps), just stay home as save yourself the trouble of being offended.

I may be completely wrong on this but...

I read the OP's question more as "why do drum corps arrangers deconstruct a great piece of music to the point that the very things that made it great are lost?"

But...maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by corpsband

I may be completely wrong on this but...

I read the OP's question more as "why do drum corps arrangers deconstruct an great piece of music to the point that the very things that made it great are lost?"

But...maybe I'm wrong.

Yes! Wish I had thought to state it that way. And thanks for all the thoughtful and illuminating responses. It has been very instructive.