DRUM CORPS

As a member... Winning, having kids from less successful corps treating you like royalty and still being good friends with several guys and girls I marched with.

As a fan... watching my 1st DCI finals (2010) and thinking to myself.... this really is happening, I'm really here! Pinching myself everytime a "big" name came on during quarters.

For me, there's no competition--27th Lancers "Once More in 94" at the DCI finals in Foxboro. I knew something special was planned. I assumed it might be "Danny Boy" and perhaps "Crown Imperial" in concert with drum solo and a nod to some of the great color guard moments. This would have been enough and it would have had an impact and I and many others would have left the show happy. However, as a loyal 27th fan over the years, I should have known it would have been more than just an appearance and it turned out to be perhaps 27th's greatest moment. Yes there were great competitive moments. I still watch my Legacy DVD's and enjoy the great shows, but "Once More in 94" was the 27th Lancer family from inception to 1986, along with their many friends over the years giving their all, and "Once More in 94" captured what 27th meant to so many of us.

Other side of the street but making DCA Finals in 1977. Background is the corps had been inactive for a season and we got our tails kicked in a bit for the first two years back. But the corps hung in there and few years later made top 10 for the first time in a decade. Just made taking all the lumps worth it.

Two years after I left the corps almost won DCA. Hearing the scores of the first show of that season when they beat the big guns had me ---> :thumbup: Especially since the guy telling me the story had been there taking lumps too. I called the guy the next morning not knowing what to expect and --> :blink:

And Tom P , I might have a cassette of that night in Racine... will have to burn it to CD and take a listen....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From a performing standpoint...the first time I put on a Cadet uniform and marched on to the field in 1970 at the Bridgeport Ct "Preview of Junior Champions" (even in the rain) comes to mind...as does performing at the 1971 World Open.

Another would be the 1970 VFW Nats in Miami...the head cheese of the VFW Nats, Tony Schlechta, had publically stated that we did not deserve to compete at the show, as we formed a Peace Sign on the field (to "White Rabbit"). Well, when we formed it and turned to hit the stands, seeing an ocean of flashbulbs from the crowd,and hearing the cheers, was one of the coolest experiences I ever had performing in drum corps.

Teaching...I taught a small Garden State Circuit corps in 76, the Wayne Monarchs. Midway through the season, the Monarchs and a corps from nearby NY, the Greenwood Lake Lakers, decided to merge, as both corps were going nowhere fast. We pulled out of our shows in August and put together a combined show for the September Wildwood States (forget if Al or VFW is in September). It was an a lot of fun, like one of those Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland "Let's put on a show" movies.

Seeing my son make Alliance in 2010, then Spirit in 2012 and greatly surpassing my ambitions and talent.

Don't know if I have a particular Drum Corps moment while marching, but being able to spend two years under Freddie Martin was pretty special.

Edited by soa2000

1999, finals, sitting pretty low in the stadium. After not making finals forever, Boston, one of the most storied corps in the activity finally made it in. The corps was on the field ready to roll but had to wait for a tv time out. The crowd was going absolutely ape ***t. A bunch of kids in the pit were crying tears of joy (like chest heaving crying :smile: )

It was tough to pick just one favorite :smile:

• Like 1

Hearing 27 play "Danny Boy" in the distance after the downpour just before DCI-Midwest finals at Whitewater in 1982.

^^^you're welcome...

As a fan, Finals '74. I had been to both junior and senior shows before (my father marched) and we decided to go to Ithaca after hearing about Whitewater from friends. Did both prelims and finals. The entire night was one great performance after another - Muchachos whipping the crowd into a frenzy, Kingsmen blazing OTL - but by the end of "Young Person's Guide" I knew who my favorite would be...

As a member, two (one for each corps):

- 1975, walking into Franklin Field: an absolute WALL of people

- 1982, putting on my 2-7 uniform for the first time

• Like 1