2012 Shaping up to be a disappointing season?

Lets see.....

Fanfare for the Common Man

The Planets

Pictures at an Exhibition

Pines of Rome

Mahler

Christmas favorites

Some Phantom of the Opera

Nessun Dorma

Firebird

New World Symphony

Among many others...

This is a year of classic drum corps repertoire. I think it's an awesome year in a way almost everyone can connect with one corps or another!! That's one heck of a track listing!!!

AND STRAVINSKY!! :thumbup:....oh wait you said Firebird...

Edited by kaseyW

This thread goes to show me that a lot of DCP-ers are fast food fans. Meaning they want the best result really early.

The problem with being a fast food fan is when everyone else is enjoying a leisurely desert after an all-American meal, I'm sitting in the corner passing gas. There's an analogy somewhere between that and your observation, but I'm not going in to look for it without back-up, (and I already do enough backing up when the aforementioned happens).

• Like 3

The problem with being a fast food fan is when everyone else is enjoying a leisurely desert after an all-American meal, I'm sitting in the corner passing gas. There's an analogy somewhere between that and your observation, but I'm not going in to look for it without back-up, (and I already do enough backing up when the aforementioned happens).

So does, "The one who smell't it, dealt it," apply here as well? :tongue:

Crowns been doing hard shows. And did I say ANYTHING about giving crap to Cadets and Cavies? NO. Don't criticize a person if you don't know the full story.

I was not trying to single you out, but rather to make an overall point.

Crown does hard show = People love Crown because they are doing hard show

Cadets/Cavies/SCV does hard show = its not clean enough, its dirty.

and no, Jazz running anything that is remotely large does qualify as difficult. Just sayin. I would have loved to jazz run half of my sets, but I had to step it out for all of my sets.

• Like 1

Was it just me, or was anyone else bored to tears in the middle section of Crown's show? Liked the opener, but that was about it...

That was my thought during the show. The middle third of the show is the one thing missing from that show that could take it all the way. The show is very vanilla to me (the music, the uniforms, the guard uniforms, the guard props) with nothing terribly exciting happening. They end strong, but I think that has more to do with the relative lack of excitement in the four minutes leading up to to the end. Having said that, I don't like Copland, never have. Do I appreciate the difficulty? You betcha. Do I value the difficulty of the music over the lack of excitement? Nope.

A better question would be: Would you like Crown's show if it was scoring where the Cavies' show is scoring right now?

Crown is playing some difficult music pretty well for this time of year, with some small exceptions here and there. They are to be commended for that. The formula is one that appeals to judges for sure. My thought after the Louisville show was this: This show has a great chance of "winning" this year. While it would be great for the corps to win their first championship, its kinda like getting a Blu-ray copy of the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special: How many times would you really re-watch it?

This is basically week two of a long season to come. Just sit back, relax.and let it happen. This is going to be a great drum corps year!

It is June. How does one come to these conclusions in June? How many re-writes, tweeks, adjustments and changes will take place with all of these shows before August? Many, many!!

I get that you may not like concepts, but to just be such a downer this early is silly.

I equate your misery to someone drinking a fine wine having been just bottled and not aged. Let's give it some time man.