2012 Shaping up to be a disappointing season?

Cadets - the show is IMO entertaining, but I was hoping they would have approached it from a Mannheim Steamroller aspect.

I can't really envision how this would work in a drum corps show. You mean just the arrangement style or lots of synthy bleeps and blorps?

Crown - wishing for Rach Star Part Dos. I am hoping this show grows on me, it has not showcased very well on video for me as of yet.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "The Grass is Always Greenest..." this year. I'm very pleased with how Crown has started, and I think they have a good baseline to build from. Anyway, the best way to experience Crown is live. Sit midway down and soak up the brass.

Thoughts on 2012 VS 2011 or as a great stand alone season?

I'm very excited about this year. Cadets will be a show to remember, no matter how they place (though I expect top 3). Crown is bringing out the big guns. Phantom is blowing everyone away, and SCV is getting back to their musical roots. Blue Devils sound great when they're let loose, and I think the Cavies show will end up being better than anyone expects. Bluecoats definitely have the potential to do something special this year. Then there's Boston out to a great start with a very strong show, and Madison pulling out all the stops and reliving their glory days--in a good way! You've got Spirit nipping right at their heels with a lot of good buzz. Blue Knights have gotten a lot of flack for their synth, but visually, I think this show is something truly different and awesome. Blue Stars are looking good with great music and some drill that is going to look incredible once it's cleaned. Crossmen are getting great buzz. Pacific Crest is looking strong and better than ever, and Mandarins have an outrageously fun percussion feature. I'm *definitely* looking forward to seeing what Jersey Surf have planned. I've heard too little about Academy, Colts, Troopers, Pioneer, Cascades, Glassmen, or Teal to have anything to say about them, but they've all brought some amazing shows to the field in the past few years, and I expect them to be even better than ever.

So yeah, I'm excited about 2012! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Was it just me, or was anyone else bored to tears in the middle section of Crown's show? Liked the opener, but that was about it...

It wasn't just you, I found the whole middle section dragged on and on listening to them play half notes in a big front and hearing tympani from all over the field phasing with each other.

I did not enjoy that at all.

• Like 2

I tend to agree. Not a single show of the ones you mentioned gets me going viscerally. The Phantom Regiment are probably closest this year. Last year, my favorite was Crown.

When I tried to watch the Stanford show on line, my attention kept wondering and I began to surf the web.

I like my drum corps visceral as opposed to cerebral. I haven't seen a lot of the shows in the lower part of the top 12 or even outside the top 12. But, maybe there are some shows there that I will actually be entertained by.

I did see an exhibition of the Jersey Surf's show and it is a whole lotta fun. Drum corps needs that. I want to see them again.

• Like 2

It was june?

And wow, what a difference a whole month makes 'cause now 2012 is kicking some A**!

• Like 1

I tend to agree. Not a single show of the ones you mentioned gets me going viscerally. The Phantom Regiment are probably closest this year. Last year, my favorite was Crown.

When I tried to watch the Stanford show on line, my attention kept wondering and I began to surf the web.

I like my drum corps visceral as opposed to cerebral. I haven't seen a lot of the shows in the lower part of the top 12 or even outside the top 12. But, maybe there are some shows there that I will actually be entertained by.

I did see an exhibition of the Jersey Surf's show and it is a whole lotta fun. Drum corps needs that. I want to see them again.

That was me as well.... I found myself listening more than watching.

Judging solely from the cinecast last week, I would say 2012 is building upon 2011's successes, across the board. I feel most corps have upped the ante either in terms of demand or entertainment value, both of which excite me.

I'll be at the Riverside show Sunday, so I will have live exposure then to help inform that assessment.

I'm in the minority, I guess, when I think that the shows last year weren't ALL THAT, as a whole. The competition was exciting, and Cadets may have produced my new favorite show, but... I like Phantom more in 2010 vs. 2011, and Bluecoats, and Crown, Cavies, Madison...

I tend to agree with this. I enjoy all corps, no matter the season, but if I were to be picky, I wasn't all that crazy for Madison, Bluecoats, SCV, Spirit, Troopers, Glassmen, and BK last season. To this point this year I think the entertainment level is up from last year at this point. Remember that cleaning a show is just as important as making the right adjustmens. The more sophisticated shows need time to tweak all the little things, and the performance levels have to be truly clean enough for all the nuances to make sense.

Of the shows I have seen so far (live, Fan Network, or YouTube), I love Phantom, Cadets, BD, Bluecoats, SCV, BK, Crown, Blue Stars, and I'm warming up to Cavaliers. Can't wait to see more corps.

One thing I learned years ago is this: when comparing drum corps seasons it all depends on taste and personal preference. One man's favorite is another's hotdog corps. Another thing I've learned over the years is that when I compare my "good shows" vs. "bad shows" list for each summer I find that it evens out. I generally find as many good shows as I find those that I don't care for.

It wasn't just you, I found the whole middle section dragged on and on listening to them play half notes in a big front and hearing tympani from all over the field phasing with each other.

I did not enjoy that at all.

I don't know how Crown will place this year. For myself, from a musical standpoint, they are one of the most incredible things I have ever heard on a field.

It was SCV who first introduced me to Copland. This goes a way back into the early 80's (knowing others knew about him much earlier). Others have done his music multiple times since then culminating in another SCV masterpiece - 2009.

I hope that Aaron Copland can somehow hear what Crown has done with his music this year. It's been used over and over yet somehow this year I hear more of Copland than I do of drum corps.

I can't equate this year vs. another. All I know is that when I hear Crown play his music I get the "sense" of Copland.

• Like 2