2012 Shaping up to be a disappointing season?

I don't find this year dissapointing, but I think sometimes we get so emotionally involved with a year we lose our steam for the next season. Case in point- The 08 season with Phantom's show was just killer and hard to top. Likewise 2011 featured another masterpiece by the Cadets. In 09 I thoroughly enjoyed the season, but it wasn't the same... Phantom nose diving did not help. This year my interest is up but I think the only show at the top that truly grabs me is Crown. That said, there are so many great corps and great music that I find it impossible to label this season as a disappointment! I think this may turn out to be the best competitive summer in a long time, but time will tell!!

Wes P

A Stonehenge reference! I love it! :thumbup:

I was sitting here going, "Rocks?" *thinks back through shows...toy soldiers...doors...nothing at all...cows...planes...and comes up empty* Thanks for enlightening me :doh:

(I was sitting here going, "Rocks?")

(That was my response to the show itself.)

(Still one of my favorites, though.)

Stonehenge is in my top 3 of Cadets shows, I'd say.

• Like 2

This is based strictly on watching the few shows on Fan Network, the theater and various unnamed sites, so I still reserve the right to change my mind when I see them in Minnesota, but so far, 2012 is disappointing.

Let us go corps by corps of who I have seen

Cadets - You knew 2012 was going to be a let down, when a corps has a year like they did, rarely is it matched the next year. (See Cadets 1987, Star 1991, Cavaliers 1995) However, the show is IMO entertaining, but I was hoping they would have approached it from a Mannheim Steamroller aspect. I think this show will please the fans, but the judges will have no choice but to place it in the 3-4 placement.

BD - When I heard the pre-season recording, I thought WOW, when I watched a few videos, I was left saying, okay, this is missing something. I think it will win, but like 2008, not a show I visit upon regularity. Need to change the ending and have the "Sing Sing" style number be a bit more in your face.

Phantom- Better than I thought, but the closer like last year at this point needs to be expanded on, if they could add another :30, I think they could be a player in the top 3.

Crown - I appreciate that they are taking the Star approach at a "win at all cost mode", very demanding show, but it loses me here and there and wishing for Rach Star Part Dos. I am hoping this show grows on me, it has not showcased very well on video for me as of yet.

Cavaliers - Well,..... yeah, I need to see this one live. Question might be, is this worse than 1997... that may be the only question left for this season.

Bluecoats - I thought last year was the best BC show that I may have ever seen, I was not there in 2008. The show like many have said, loses steam in the 2nd half, so far I agree. We will see.

SCV - I am very disappointed in them this year, I really was hoping they would step up and be a top 3 corp. Yes the drumline is out of this world, but the show is borderline snooze fest. Memo to Jeff Fiedler, pull out the 1995 Cavaliers chart and feel free to use it. Hopefully, there will be more changes to come.

To date, those are the only shows I have seen, and I hope I am wrong, I really do. The worst DCI season I have seen and I have been going or performing since 1988 (I missed 2008), was 2001. Of the 6 that are listed above, maybe 2 are better than 2011. BD and maybe Crown. That is not good and I have not even seen 7-17 yet.

Thoughts on 2012 VS 2011 or as a great stand alone season?

If this is shaping up to be a disappointing season then why am I salivating at the mouth to see BD, Crown, and Phantom perform again? These shows along with many others are terrific! Not every year is going to "KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF HOLY S***" with these corps. But this year I think just like every year is going to be something very special. just wait to see. and I can guarantee you that BD and Crown are going to be fighting it out all the way to Finals night.

I'll say it again....it's still June, and the amount of idiotic drama out here is setting new levels of low for DCP

• Like 4

I'll say it again....it's still June, and the amount of idiotic drama out here is setting new levels of low for DCP

This!

Man, no kidding! I can't believe the amount of idiotic drama on here lately: 2012 is shaping up to the the most disappointing season on DCP ever...

Man, no kidding! I can't believe the amount of idiotic drama on here lately: 2012 is shaping up to the the most disappointing season on DCP ever...

yeah it's spreading to the DCA areas too

After having seen almost all of the corps either live or online via the fan network, I can say this is not going to be a disappointing season. The problem is if a person expected the same thing as last year where almost every show was awesome. When it came to the top 12 last season there was only one corps that I wasn't excited to see in Indianapolis. I knew not to expect to have the same feelings as last year, because it is rare that happens. But that doesn't disappoint me.

It is my own opinion though but hey, everyone here seems to post it. But there are a few shows this year I am really not a fan of, being polite about it. I sit there bored and wonder when the shows will end. While there are a few shows that I can't wait to see live, since I'm from ohio I haven't gotten to see the west coast corps yet live.

But comparing to last year, some shows I like more, some shows I like less, for each corps. As I said, I loved almost every show last year. This year I like SCV and spirit more than last year. While I enjoy crown's show, I preferred watching rach star. Bluecoats is a wash for me as I grew to really enjoy the show last season. Boston's show is one I like, but revolution was one of my favorites from a season ago. BD I thought I would love, but seeing it on the stanford webcast it seemed messy and cluttered, while the french accented voice over for 75% of the show is annoying. Cadets and cavies went downhill in my opinion, and I didn't have much hope for them before the season either. When I heard about the cadets DM leaving, and the turmoil within the corps about the show, I feel even less compelled to give it a sympathy vote because its about christmas. Blue knights I enjoy visually, musically it seems like it belongs in a corps that places in semis. I really loved english folk songs last year though. Madison won the crowd over last year, this year they try to do the same but adding nostalgia. I love a lot of their show, the pinwheel and all, malaguena seems like it was an afterthought though. Blue stars, idk, the show doesn't do anything for me. Phantom I loved last year, this year I find myself liking it but I don't desire to see it like other shows or like last season. When it comes to the "almost" corps of last season, I was impressed with the glassmen. Troopers were okay. I haven't seen crossmen or colts yet.

So that's my 2 cents. Enjoy.