July Prediction Thread

On a related note, I have often wondered why the Madison Scouts don't draw more from the UW band. Yes, the styles couldn't be more different, but the goals are quite similar (excellence and entertainment). In a typical year there might be one kid from the UW band who also joins the Scouts (last season one of the bass drummers in the UW band was in Scouts), but that's it. Last year, or maybe 2 years ago, the UW band played excerpts from Slaughter, and Mike asked if anyone had ever heard the music before. Only a couple kids raised their hands, mine included of course, as I've been hauling them to drum corps shows since they were born.

some

I'm not sure either. It was the case in my day that the majority of the UW band members were not music majors. I've heard that that is still the case. I wonder if some try out and don't make it, or if having the winter camps in Texas part of the cause. When I marched,two of us snare drummers were also Scouts. I hope that more will find an opportunity to do both. If you live in Madison, those are THE two music groups to be a part of.

Do you just type and hope that the words fall out in some kind of coherent order? Yes, I get it that a couple of people made some negative comments about the Scouts, but I should probably remind you that this is a PREDICTION thread. This has no bearing to the season. yeah, some people carry biases, but that's their deal. If some people want to remain ignorant, then just let them do that. I probably should have done the same instead of getting with an argument with a guy who thinks he's cool for using big words.

And if it's nothing I said, why try and pick a fight with me? Any logic there? You probably should have tried something with the people who made the comments, not someone who was just posting on here

And yeah dude, I can comprehend what I'm reading. I might be only be a 5th year college student in music, but reading comprehension was taught back when I was in elementary school. I trust you made it through that part?

Last post on this ridiculous thread that people take too seriously. These are predictions, not facts. Just guesses, some educated, some not. This is just what people think may happen some time between now and Finals. Not what exactly will happen, maybe one person will get their predictions right, but the vast majority will be very wrong come August. Just relax people, take a deep breath, and realize none of this holds any bearing on the judges or performance of the corps.

Then why did you start responding in the first place?? I need a facepalm pic here. Somehow you got your wires crossed and still don't get it, but whatever.

Opinion ceases to be opinion when it can be refuted with facts. Then it becomes ignorance. Kinda like those opinions of gravity and thermodynamics I learned way back in school. Opinions are fine, but rarely is someone around here gonna post outright ignorant things and not get called on it by someone. :rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss, I guess. This is a discussion forum. We discuss.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I predict that, for the first time, 10 corps will break 90 at Finals.

Then why did you start responding in the first place?? I need a facepalm pic here. Somehow you got your wires crossed and still don't get it, but whatever.

Opinion ceases to be opinion when it can be refuted with facts. Then it becomes ignorance. Kinda like those opinions of gravity and thermodynamics I learned way back in school. :rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss, I guess. This is a discussion forum. We discuss.

Okay, since I'm apparently miles behind your amazing intellect, spell it out for me. What am I not understanding on here? Please, enlighten me, oh genius you are.

Even if people are ignorant, that doesn't make their prediction any less valid. It's just a guess, nothing more. I can guess and predict about what the discovery of the Higgs-Boson means, but since I was only an engineering student for two years, my physics understanding has slipped a little in the quantum fields

some

I'm not sure either. It was the case in my day that the majority of the UW band members were not music majors. I've heard that that is still the case. I wonder if some try out and don't make it, or if having the winter camps in Texas part of the cause. When I marched,two of us snare drummers were also Scouts. I hope that more will find an opportunity to do both. If you live in Madison, those are THE two music groups to be a part of.

Still the case today. The major major nowadays in the band is engineering. Very few, if any, music majors. If you have to be a music major to be in drum corps today, that's pretty sad.

• Like 1

1. CROWN

2. CADETS

3. PHANTOM

4. BLUE DEVILS

5. BLUECOATS

6. MADISON

7. SCV

8. BOSTON

9. CAVALIERS

10.SPIRIT

11.BLUE KNIGHTS

12.CROSSMEN

Cadets (by .1)

Crown

Blue Devils

SCV

PR

Bluecoats

Boston

Madison

Cavaliers

Crossmen

Spirit

Blue Knights

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Please, enlighten me, oh genius you are.

Even if people are ignorant, that doesn't make their prediction any less valid. It's just a guess, nothing more.

Ok, here goes: it wasn't about "predictions". That's the part you weren't understanding. People can "predict" whatever they'd like. It's like I'm having one discussion and you're having a completely other discussion and you can't figure out why they don't relate..

It'll help to have the same discussion.

• Like 1

As far as top 12 goes, I see them this way.

Group 1

1. Carolina Crown - demanding show, great performance levels, but they do need some help in terms of total show effect. To my eyes and ears they have the 5th best total GE product on the field (tie with Bluecoats), and that is their lone deficiency.

2. The Cadets - cleaning a very demanding show at a fast rate, very entertaining show with top-flight GE. In fact, this is the best GE show I have seen yet. May very well end up being a title contender (much more demanding than people think, watch this drill and listen to that music book a bit more carefully).

3. Blue Devils - awesome show, second best GE levels and the performance levels are the best, especially marching, amazing guard as always

4. Phantom Regiment - definitely a dark horse for the title. Great show design, 3rd best overall GE package out there. With a few tweaks this show could be the best GE come finals. Has plenty of demand. People need to stop thinking that demand is everything. A logical, GE-driven, and well performed show is always better than too much demand that makes NO sense and looks sloppy on the field.

Group 2

5. Bluecoats - Best Bluecoats show since 2010, and I actually like it better than that 3rd place show. Awesome brass and percussion. Improve the guard and fix the ending and this thing is a solid top 5 show I think. At the moment they have the 5th best overall GE (tie with Crown) to my eyes and ears. Could go higher, but it's splitting hairs once you get into the top 5 of anything.

6. Madison Scouts - Wonderful show and I get goosebumps watching the ending. 4th best GE package of all the corps, and it could go higher. They need the subtleties that Cadets and BD bring, but they are close. Need to see more of this as they add and improve. Could jump to 5 or higher in total placement come finals.

7. Santa Clara Vanguard - drill is a monster, music is good but not great. They need to play better and march better, but I do think the show is there for them to clean and ultimately be a top 5 contender. Total GE is the 8th best at the moment to my eyes and ear.

8. The Cavaliers - Not digging this show just yet, but I was more into the fanNcast from Muncie. Love the guard and the color coordination, and the brass is playing better. 7th (tie) best overall GE to my eyes and ears, but this is a corps that can add layers perhaps more effectively than anyone. Let's see where they go from here.

Group 3

9. Boston Crusaders - LOVE THIS SHOW! I have them tied with Cavies for 7th in total GE. With improvements in performance levels I can see Boston pulling ahead of Cavaliers and SCV, but likely no higher.

10. Blue Knights - need to see more here, but it's not as effective as the last 2 years. Solid in all captions but to me the GE is down.

11. Spirit of Atlanta - Best Spirit show of the 2000s. I love it! Want to see this place even higher, but they are clearly top 12 material.

12. Blue Stars - excellent GE show and well coordinated. They struggled out of the gate in terms of performance, but I think the total show is there with a few tweaks. Noticed that their guard took 2nd place the other night over Cavaliers and Bluecoats. Love their drill. If this cleans, Blue Stars will be solid in the top 12.

Bravo!! Love your reasoning.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Ok, here goes: it wasn't about "predictions". That's the part you weren't understanding. People can "predict" whatever they'd like. It's like I'm having one discussion and you're having a completely other discussion and you can't figure out why they don't relate..

It'll help to have the same discussion.

Oh my god - - dude, give it a rest.

• Like 4