Growth of drum corps through feeder corps?

Cadets2 had their first field performance this past weekend. Everyone who has seen this group have been very impressed with how it has come together. This is due in large part by the admin of YEA and their great job and resources in getting the corps started. Blue Devils B, C and SCV Cadets are always a fantastic drum corps. All three of these drum corps have great admin and thus great drum corps.

Is the future growth of the activity through the great organizations we already have? If each drum corps started a local "feeder" corps we would have a huge increase in sustainable corps?

Discuss

So AShy!

The Blue Knights - the Blue Squires.

• Like 3

Cadets2 had their first field performance this past weekend. Everyone who has seen this group have been very impressed with how it has come together. This is due in large part by the admin of YEA and their great job and resources in getting the corps started. Blue Devils B, C and SCV Cadets are always a fantastic drum corps. All three of these drum corps have great admin and thus great drum corps.

Is the future growth of the activity through the great organizations we already have? If each drum corps started a local "feeder" corps we would have a huge increase in sustainable corps?

Discuss

So AShy!

My guess is you are going to want to go back and see what Drum Corps was about through the 30's 40's and into the 80's. I kinda doubt that this will be the "future" of the entire activity. It will actually probably only lead to the Final 6-8 corps in existence regionally throughout the US and their affiliated "feeder" entitites.

Edited by Eric M. Buckman

Feeder programs were great when corps were more loclly based. Nowadays, each corps' feeder program is basically....other corps.

• Like 2

Feeder programs were great when corps were more loclly based. Nowadays, each corps' feeder program is basically....other corps.

'Agree..... all top elite World Class Dvision Corps now have " feeder Corps " that " feed them " some numbers of marchers each year, which vary in numbers drawn from Corps to Corps in any given year. So they really don't need to come up with the money and resources of their own any longer to start a "feeder Corps" for themselves. Some corps, of course, already have their own feeder Corps within their organization ( BD, SCV come to mind ) that has been in place for years and before Corps became National and International in their draw for marcher talent.

Edited by BRASSO

including DCA.... and a few Alumni types that some DCI members have spent time in....

It's okay, the Crossmen have been the universal feeder corps for the past decade or so. What's the saying? March Crossmen, age out at Blue Devils?

I'm sure other lower tier corps have a similar experience.

Here's to hoping this changes with the Crossmen though. There is not much corps loyalty across the activity now. A lot of people jumping all around. Their excuse "to get a better education, to learn from as many people as possible" However, I see a lot of them as ring chasers, not all, but a lot of them. I would elaborate a little more, but it is off topic.

For every corps to have a feeder corps takes a lot of money. I just don't see the money needed to do this with the current state of drum corps.

Reading and hearing about drum corps history, there were quite a few feeder corps out there, but it seemed like they were the first to go, especially after the national touring model began. I don't know. I just don't see it working as much.

Especially since I see a lot of people marching their local feeder corps for a year, getting experience, then go march a top 6 corps.

• Like 2

I think I didn't make the clearest point and that I used the term feeder corps.

The drum corps who survive today have the best management. These groups of managers could start more semi local drum corps and help increase the amount of groups we have.

What if Crown started a weekend only corps and most of the members came from the Carolinas? What if Bluecoats did this? Or Phantom brought back their cadet group? Atlanta has a very strong marching band scene and there are many kids who may be interested in a weekend only corps?

• Like 2

I think I didn't make the clearest point and that I used the term feeder corps.

The drum corps who survive today have the best management. These groups of managers could start more semi local drum corps and help increase the amount of groups we have.

What if Crown started a weekend only corps and most of the members came from the Carolinas? What if Bluecoats did this? Or Phantom brought back their cadet group? Atlanta has a very strong marching band scene and there are many kids who may be interested in a weekend only corps?

Gets my vote! :thumbup:

If drum corps is to survive I firmly believe we need exactly these kinds of programs across North America.