Attraction?

When I was in jr high school my dadtook us tu a DCA competition at Knox field in Johnstown NY. I loved what I saw and heard there. A few years later I saw an add on a local TV station for Drums along the Mohawk in Rome. The second year I went to that show it rained all day so the attendence was light. A member of Suncoast Sound sat in the stands with my buddy and me after they performedand told us what corps life was like. This inspired me to try out for Avante Garde but unfortunately I had to work so never got to march. Now I get to bring my kids to a show each year and watch their faces when they see the shows.

I was raised in a single parent household and we were very poor. We moved to Madison, Wisconsin when I was nine years old, and one of the kids next store was in the Jr. Scouts. My mom thought it would be a good thing for me to do to keep me out of trouble. Joining the Madison Jr. Scouts at the age of ten gave me an opportunity to learn discipline, meet other kids my age, and learn to play an instrument.

As I got older, I became a better musician, and through that, became more interested in the arts in general, and developed confidence in myself. While I was done with drum corps at age 16, I never stopped making music, and went on to learn how to play several other instruments. I discovered I was pretty smart, and had the confidence to go on to college. These days I am doing well with a family of my own.

I truly don’t know who I would have become if I had not had an opportunity to be introduced to music and the arts at a young age, and to develop confidence in myself as a musician and a person. I suspect my life would be vastly different than it is today. (and not for the better)

I particularly want to single out Jimmy Elvord (Jr. Scouts Director in 1972) as an influence on me and many other young men. He treated us like men, and expected us to act like men.

I was away from drum crops for 30+ years until I became re-acquainted with it through DCA in 2006. I began to perform again and found that while the activity had changed greatly, the people are still the same - GREAT. That which joins us is always greater than that which separates us

• Like 2

My dad belonged to a VFW that had a Garden State Circuit corps...and it had a small feeder corps. In 1964, at age 10 1/2 he signed me up with the feeder corps. I already had a year+ of drum lessons in school.

At my first show that our "big corps" hosted, I was a runner. Saw the local greats like Blessed Sac (my personal fave in the 60's), Garfield, St Lucy's, St Kevin's, the Audobon Bon-bons, plus a couple of others...from sitting on a folding chair at field level.

Some local guys from the local corps came to my HS for a recruiting session......played some DCI finals VHS tapes.....and then some of us decided to join, Being the youngest (14) I decided to give it a try. What made me stay was the girls in corps, plus seeing my first real DCI show in Normal, IL hearing the power of Phantom and Cavies. The Symphonie Fantastique from 1985 still is in my top 5 of all time, and inspired me to march PR. Cavies The Planets was awesome also.

There is nothing like a drum corps show.

Edited by The Dog

Don't let the 'Saders Seniors here about this. Blasphemy!

That was what made it so tempting and " attractive ", ie could I infiltrate " the enemy's " rear Guard, Ghost. Despite numerous heroic and herculean efforts and attempts on my behalf, I never reached that particular mountaintop with any of the 27th Lancers Guard. Regrettably, there was no " Conquest ".

Edited by BRASSO

I am a trumpet player and i was introduced to drum corps by my director who showed me Madison 95' and 96'. Nuff said, I was sold.

Edited by OleMissRebel

As a former lead sop, first of all, this is blasphemy. Secondly, where's the fun in that??

Lastly, we gotta lean back to lift our HUGE brass balls off the ground. :tongue:

Nah. If you really had brass balls, you would have played euph. That's a man's instrument

• Like 3

Nah. If you really had brass balls, you would have played euph. That's a man's instrument

Or marched timpany back when "if you played it, you carried it". :winky: