Marvelous Minneapolis

You'd have to be an alum or current member to know. Sorry. People can make their guesses, but probably won't get it right.

That still doesn't answer my question, but I think someone just did.

It's not the system, it's the judges. Go on later, score higher. It's slotting.

Crown went on 4th from the end and finished 2nd. BD went on 2nd from last, finished 1st.

And the Cadets, who went on LAST and should have benefited from your slotting theory, finished THIRD! :w00t:

Darn judges are so screwed up they can't even get slotting right...

• Like 2

I am significantly confused why so many people talk about the Madison Scouts like they used to win DCI titles every year. They are typically a 5th to 7th place corps. The last title they won was 24 years ago, and it is unlikely they will win one again in the next decade. People really need to tone down the Scouts propoganda and think rationally. Their show is entertaining but dirty. It does not have the technical merit of a top five contender this year. Madison is an good corps this year, but please tone down the rhetoric!

• Like 9

Except they never do. No show I heard tonight benefited from bass synth. Not one. Some managed to keep it so soft as to suffer little, but none were better for it. And I don't "dislike the fact that synth can play lower than the range of the tubas" (strictly speaking, the synths almost never play lower than tubas can play --which is deeper than the bottom note on a piano-- only lower than they can play loud) any more than I dislike the fact that they can play higher than a trumpet. I very much dislike, nay, despise a sound that (1) doesn't blend with the brass; (2) takes no effort to create; and (3) whose volume is not controlled by the player. It's an unnecessary crutch, and a plague on almost all performances (even those otherwise excellent) since 2009.

Don't know if it is possible or can be done based on rules, but what if corps were to use the Fanfare brass samples created by Sample Logic. They were recorded using the BD horn line. Making it possible to increase actual tuba, and any other brass instruments volume for that matter. Maybe some one here knows if any corps are using it.

I think one of the big problems with the Cavvies show is the design. A giant dollar sign? Seriously?

That has all the design subtlety of your roommate coming home and vomiting all over your bed by accident because of tequila-head. It's also the kind of thing a college marching band doe while playing Pink Floyd at halftime, horsing around. "LOOK NOW THESE PEOPLE HAVE 15 MINUTES OF FAME SEE THE DOLLAR SIGN?"

I can't speak to the musical scores, but even when shows go literalist, they can do something, well, less cheesy than that. PR's Spartacus of a few years back comes to mind. That was bloody literal, literally.

I think the kids marching Cavs deserved a better show to march.

• Like 6

I said this last night, but I think it bears repeating. The only corps that should be disappointed in their scores, show, and season are the Cavies. I have NEVER liked the Cavies, EVER. But, their staff this year should be ashamed of the show they have put together this year. The members should demand a refund. I really feel sorry for the returning vets of this corps and for the rookies who wanted to mark with a corps that has been a serious title contender every year for many years. Shame on the staff for this terrible show!!!

• Like 4

I said this last night, but I think it bears repeating. The only corps that should be disappointed in their scores, show, and season are the Cavies. I have NEVER liked the Cavies, EVER. But, their staff this year should be ashamed of the show they have put together this year. The members should demand a refund. I really feel sorry for the returning vets of this corps and for the rookies who wanted to mark with a corps that has been a serious title contender every year for many years. Shame on the staff for this terrible show!!!

But if you NEVER liked them, EVER, even the past, what, 25 years they've been winning DCI or placing in the top tier - the fact that you didn't like them even then would seem to indicate that your scale of what's "good" is a little whacked, eh? :cool:

The show isn't clicking yet, but the breathless, over-the-top vitriol (look it up) coming from the parking lot has more than a little touch of Schadenfreude about it. Enjoy it while you can, folks, it probably won't last that long.

(BTW, it's "Nessun Dorma" )

• Like 3

Cadets have some work to do. Only sub-caption higher than 3rd was the GE Music rep. 4th in visual and brass. One tenth ahead of Phantom in overall GE.

Less than a month to go.