Marvelous Minneapolis

I thought Minnesota Brass did a very commendable performance when we consider they're limited rehearsal schedule. I enjoyed their show... 'thought it was entertaining and I didn't need 6 paragraphs filled with big words nobody uses in daily conversation to figure out the theme of the show either.

Their show has come a LONG WAY in just TWO WEEKS since Bridgeport....I was not really digging it then...but tonight was a whole different story...Great performance!

Basically i feel that a single member should not be able to outplay a 20 member contra line (or an 80-member brass line). No matter how much some people like the sound.

So does Crossmens lead trumpet player really offend you, then?

• Like 4

Slotting is already in progress. With the exception of the Cavies having an off year and Spirit and Boston stepping it up, history tells us there really is no reason to expect any drastic changes. It just doesn't happen. Other than being there to watch this live, I cannot think of a better way to see this tonight as my brother is a TV producer for PBS and watching it from one of his production studios was incredible to say the least! The way he was able to control the audio was out of this world, better than any home/webcast TV or movie theatre version I'm sure I will ever witness.

I wasn't responsible for that. I was in a room all by myself. (However, I did break the Internet five years ago in San Antonio. My laptop's motherboard died less than a half minute before both servers crashed in California, caused by a major outage of many sites including TicketMaster, which meant no tickets could be sold via credit card at the gate. Only now can I deal with admitting how I brought the Internet to its knees. :rolleyes:

I wanted to thank you for your live blog. I haven't been able to see any Corps perform except BK because of the rain at DATR, so your commentary was most welcome and enlightening. Especially since I don't know a whole lot about Drum Corps to begin with.

btw, during your blog, you mentioned that you might have heard a snippet of some Star Trek music and wanted some explanation. I didn't hear that at DATR, but it might be new. In any event, it seems you heard it during the "spaceship" part of the show so that might be the connection. You know, those Avians had to "boldly go where no Avian has gone before".

• Like 2

I think the time has come for an audience applause/reaction component to be added to the score sheets. If this scoring category existed in Minneapolis tonight, BD & Cavies would have ranked 11th & 12th place.

Ha, while i agree that would be the result, you'd also have other unintended consequences. In a place like minneapolis the scouts could walk in, play Mary Had a Little Lamb while doing a company front rotation, and still get a huge crowd response. Theyre always very well represented there.

• Like 1

I think the time has come for an audience applause/reaction component to be added to the score sheets. If this scoring category existed in Minneapolis tonight, BD & Cavies would have ranked 11th & 12th place.

Yeah, the Grammy Awards should do the same thing.

And the Grammy goes to....

CALL ME MAYBE!!!

• Like 1

I wanted to thank you for your live blog. I haven't been able to see any Corps perform except BK because of the rain at DATR, so your commentary was most welcome and enlightening. Especially since I don't know a whole lot about Drum Corps to begin with.

btw, during your blog, you mentioned that you might have heard a snippet of some Star Trek music and wanted some explanation. I didn't hear that at DATR, but it might be new. In any event, it seems you heard it during the "spaceship" part of the show so that might be the connection. You know, those Avians had to "boldly go where no Avian has gone before".

Thank you. That makes up for a whole lot of things I've endured over the past several hours. :thumbup: