Marvelous Minneapolis

I am significantly confused why so many people talk about the Madison Scouts like they used to win DCI titles every year. They are typically a 5th to 7th place corps. The last title they won was 24 years ago, and it is unlikely they will win one again in the next decade. People really need to tone down the Scouts propoganda and think rationally. Their show is entertaining but dirty. It does not have the technical merit of a top five contender this year. Madison is an good corps this year, but please tone down the rhetoric!

Then i am confused why people talk like Crown has won as many championships as BD. Last time i checked Madison has more. Carolina Crowns avg placement is probably around 5-7th too but you dont talk bout their fans. Crowns show is entertaining and dirty as well.

• Like 1

I think the time has come for an audience applause/reaction component to be added to the score sheets. If this scoring category existed in Minneapolis tonight, BD & Cavies would have ranked 11th & 12th place.

I will oppose that idea until heck freezes over. My concern would be that some hard core fans/idiots would stand and applaud throughout their favorite corps performances and ruin it for those who are trying to watch the show. Then that same fan could boo those corps the fan doesn't like. The fan paid for his ticket, right? Fan reaction is a legitimate part of the scoring, right? It's his RIGHT to help his corps win, right?

The unintended consequences concern me.

• Like 5

I don't expect everyone to agree with EVERYTHING I think ... not by any means. But give it a few more reads and you'll start to see some genius in that visual show. Marc Sylvester has his own unique style .... but the corps is VERY dirty visually. Then have a listen to the voicing and structure of some of that firebird work. It's astonishing. Who is arranging the show this year? I want to shake their hand.

Jay Bocook wrote the brass arrangements.

• Like 2

I have NEVER liked the Cavies, EVER.

Jeez, you could've stopped right there.

Edited by BRASSO

But if you NEVER liked them, EVER, even the past, what, 25 years they've been winning DCI or placing in the top tier - the fact that you didn't like them even then would seem to indicate that your scale of what's "good" is a little whacked, eh? :cool:

The show isn't clicking yet, but the breathless, over-the-top vitriol (look it up) coming from the parking lot has more than a little touch of Schadenfreude about it. Enjoy it while you can, folks, it probably won't last that long.

(BTW, it's "Nessun Dorma" )

So, you are saying that someone cannot respect someone they do not like? Interesting. No defense on getting the title wrong though.

Then i am confused why people talk like Crown has won as many championships as BD. Last time i checked Madison has more. Carolina Crowns avg placement is probably around 5-7th too but you dont talk bout their fans. Crowns show is entertaining and dirty as well.

Well, theyve certainly had better (if not higher rated by our imperfect judging system) shows the last 5 years.

Really?

Please quote the message where anyone says that. I'd like to read it.

As for Crown being dirty -- yep they still are -- but amazingly enough the corps who has no technique, can't march and play at the same time, and can never get anything clean was just 2 tenths back in VP last night. And yeah I can find all those quotes right in this thread :-) There's was even better stuff in the ZippyChat but I'm sure there's no history there.

I really don't see any Crown fans talking smack, acting like they've already won a title or any other silly antics. They're excited about a great show and happy to see their corps do well. And really haven't talked disrespectfully about any other corps.

And the corps itself: they're are too busy cleaning the show to think about silly ##ssing contests. And they're thrilled to bring an exciting show to drum corps fans everywhere.

So you can invent all the "Crown talking smack" you like but no one's gonna buy any of it.

Oh ... and....

Get It Crown !!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 5

I think one of the big problems with the Cavvies show is the design. A giant dollar sign? Seriously?

That has all the design subtlety of your roommate coming home and vomiting all over your bed by accident because of tequila-head. It's also the kind of thing a college marching band doe while playing Pink Floyd at halftime, horsing around. "LOOK NOW THESE PEOPLE HAVE 15 MINUTES OF FAME SEE THE DOLLAR SIGN?"

I can't speak to the musical scores, but even when shows go literalist, they can do something, well, less cheesy than that. PR's Spartacus of a few years back comes to mind. That was bloody literal, literally.

I think the kids marching Cavs deserved a better show to march.

For years the Cavaliers benefited from having drum corps premier music and visual designers. The kids performed theses shows to perfection. 2002 Frameworks production was one of those seminal drum corps years when everyone else stopped took notice and redefined how they wrote shows both musically and visually. Designers have lives and move on and others fill their places with their own sense of creativity. The talented Cavaliers will again benefit as this new talent evolves. That’s drum corps baby!!

• Like 1

I actually have spoken about some issues with Crown, but I have gotten tired of arguing, especially with a couple of them that seem to seek out any perceived harsh comment I make.

• Like 1

You must have watched a completely different show tonight. Crown may very well move ahead of BD in Rockford tonight

You may be right and if Crown does win tonight, I am sure they will have deserved it. I did see a lot of dirt tonight, but I am a colorguard person and that is what I focus on. As far as BD is concerned, a lot of people are saying that Crown has so much room to grow, but my niece, who is marching colorguard in BD, (ageout) says they still have so many changes/additions. I guess all the corps at this point have a lot of work ahead.

• Like 3