Blue Devils on top...really?

When's the last time you saw BD run out of gas before Finals?

1995, 1998, 2005 (although europe probably had more to do with their lack of execution), 2006 <this is the show I wanted BD to win with>

No offense but your logic makes absolutely no sense to me. The reason people are complaining isn't just because their favorite corps isn't winning. (goodness if that were the case us Phantom fans would never stop complaining). People are complaining because BD is winning with a boring, confusing show. Yes they are doing it very well, I'll admit, but that doesn't excuse the fact their show is complete nonsense (Yes, I know that's the point... whatever... it's a crappy point) If they did any of the shows listed above people wouldn't be complaining, because those shows actually had some meat to them. No one complained (at least not in the same way or to as much of an extent) when they won with Winged Victory or Phenomenon of Cool. Doing a show about nonsense is a cheap way for them to have an excuse to do the same thing they've been doing since 2008 (which I loved btw, then it got old the years after that). You're wrong in saying it's not about the show, because it is. I love the old BD stuff, and I've been waiting and waiting for them to go back to their old selves, but it hasn't happened. If they had a show like they used to have I wouldn't care at all if they won, because they did it with a fun, crowd pleasing show. I hate that a staff has decided to play to some judge sheets so much that they completely quit caring about the audience. The audience is what makes musical performance special. They quit performing for the thousands and started playing to a few so they can win a stupid piece of plastic. That's called selling out my friend.

*side note* People complain about the Blue Knights show this year not making a lick of sense either and they are pretty down there in the rankings compared to BD. Just saying.

Here's the thing...

Everything you are complaining about is an opinion. But I suppose that is true for the majority of things in terms of drum corps.

YOU think their show is boring and confusing. *I* don't. I like their show. I'm entertained by it. I understand it.

YOU think those other well known shows have meat to them, and that's fine that YOU think that, but I don't always agree.

YOU don't think this show is crowd pleasing, but when my friends and I were watching the Fan Network on Saturday, we all were really pleased by the show- we enjoyed it, a lot!

And while I understand that yes, this is a competitive activity and each corps has the goal of doing as best as possible (and in the case of the Blue Devils who are consistently in the top echelon of corps, their natural goal is to win) each year, has it ever occurred to anyone that the Blue Devils organization enjoys the shows they are putting out, beyond the potential competitive rewards? Has anyone ever thought that maybe the Blue Devils get enjoyment out of performing their show and not just winning? It's a difficult thing to do something every day for three months when the only thing you like about it is it's competitive potential.

I can't imagine that those performers and staff members aren't putting just as much emotion, passion, and work into their show than they would if they were performing "Turandot" or "For the Common Good" or "Reframed". You may not understand the results of their work, or maybe you do understand it but you just don't jive with it. Whatever the case may be, it isn't fair to say they aren't earning what they are getting when you simply have an opinion about the show.

Maybe we should stop discrediting something simply because we don't like it.

Edited by Dylan Ford
  • Like 4

Here's the thing:

The Blue Devils play to win the game. The are the masters of maxing out the sheets. The sheets include criteria about engaging the audience, and the Blue Devils do that VERY well. They say nothing about "entertainment". In fact, the word entertainment does not appear on any of the current sheets in any caption.

The second the DCI sheets include entertainment or "throwing babies" as criteria, you can bet your sweet arse that the Blue Devils will make you throw your baby faster, farther, and with greater accuracy than any other corps.

Why? Because they play to win the game.

Written as elegantly as it is true.

• Like 1

Clean wins. Crown will be sloppy in comparison for the rest of the year even though they have that sweet horn sound.

Glad you speak for every kid in the corps. I imagine the kids at Crown have a different take on your view. In fact, I know they do.

has it ever occurred to anyone that the Blue Devils organization enjoys the shows they are putting out, beyond the potential competitive rewards? Has anyone ever though that maybe the Blue Devils get enjoyment out of performing their show and not just winning? It's a difficult thing to do something every day for three months when the only thing you like about it is it's competitive potential.

I'll edit out the majority of your post, because essentially it says "different strokes for different folks" and that is true enough. Just because something isn't MY bag doesn't mean it's NOBODY'S bag.

I'll address this section with one word: yes. I have tried, very hard, to find the enjoyment in Blue Devil's shows since 2006. Even 2007 took effort, but it's there now. 2008-current I have yet to enjoy them, and therefore it is nigh impossible to see how anyone would. I'm not saying no one does, obviously that isn't true, but I don't know WHAT they like about them.

Just about the only thing I came up with the members and staff of Blue Devils enjoying from their shows is the fantastic execution which is always there. Always. It is impressive, for a while, that their shows are so well executed, but that doesn't keep me interested.

Just trying to give you my thoughts.

I harp on BD because they continually do things that annoy the bleep out of me (Contra connected to the form anybody?), but I dont hate them. To be honest I sort of hoped that they would have built off of last year because that was one of their most entertaining shows since 2006. This years show is skitso and I know it is intended to be, but I see its artistic merit and they are nailing what they are attempting to do.

I root for Crown for a few reasons...first I think that Crowns 2009 show was one of the best in the history of the activity, and even though BD was cleaner that year, there was a feeling that the judges were not going to give in to emotion like they were accused of doing in 2008. Also since there are only 7 active corps to win a championship in 40 years...its time for new blood, plus it would be sort of cool to have the first corps in history to win a world class and open class title.

• Like 2

I just got back from Rockford. It was a great show, but the lowlight for me was the Blue Devils show.

Hate to be a contrarian (well, not really) but I have one word for the 2012 BD production, "Brilliant" ( and the judges seem to agree!!)

btw Love the Crown show also !!

• Like 1

I'll edit out the majority of your post, because essentially it says "different strokes for different folks" and that is true enough. Just because something isn't MY bag doesn't mean it's NOBODY'S bag.

I'll address this section with one word: yes. I have tried, very hard, to find the enjoyment in Blue Devil's shows since 2006. Even 2007 took effort, but it's there now. 2008-current I have yet to enjoy them, and therefore it is nigh impossible to see how anyone would. I'm not saying no one does, obviously that isn't true, but I don't know WHAT they like about them.

Just about the only thing I came up with the members and staff of Blue Devils enjoying from their shows is the fantastic execution which is always there. Always. It is impressive, for a while, that their shows are so well executed, but that doesn't keep me interested.

Just trying to give you my thoughts.

Your point is well taken and while I think most BD fans understand certain others will never like their shows...the title of this thread was "Blue Devils on top...really?" so while I agree I "like" Crown better, the point is this: BD is performing better than anyone at this moment.

Here's the thing...

<big giant snip>

Maybe we should stop discrediting something simply because we don't like it.

Now, there's some irony. You dislike his post and his views about BD's offering this year, and it looks to me like you're discrediting it.

How about this - you like BD's show this year, he doesn't. No amount of back and forth is gonna change that. Can you respect his opinion, and he yours? And just move on? Otherwise, I'm entertained by the back and forth. You do realize that there will be no "winner" in this exchange.

• Like 2

Now, there's some irony. You dislike his post and his views about BD's offering this year, and it looks to me like you're discrediting it.

How about this - you like BD's show this year, he doesn't. No amount of back and forth is gonna change that. Can you respect his opinion, and he yours? And just move on? Otherwise, I'm entertained by the back and forth. You do realize that there will be no "winner" in this exchange.

Don't worry, I fully understand that. Just sharing my opinion as much as he is, as well as everyone else. Just trying to shed some light from a different perspective than, from what I've viewed, the perspective of most of the posters in this thread.