Blue Devils on top...really?

It seems like some of the same people who b#####d moaned and groaned about narration and voice are suddenly silent.doh.gif

oh hell no. I've been saying BD's voice sucks since day 1

• Like 1

FWIW, what more is there to say? If someone didn't like narration in 2005, they're still likely to dislike it in 2012. I'm pleasantly surprised that some of the same people who b#####d moaned and groaned about narration and voice are suddenly silent: maybe we've at least found one thing that people are no longer beating into the ground.

(FWIW, to possibly make you feel better, some of the same people who have b#####d moaned and groaned about Blue Devils show designs constantly winning are still b#####ing moaning and groaning) :ph34r:

I'm still not convinced that narration should have any role in drum corps, but since it's here it's just like any other show device: it can be used well (rare) or used poorly. BD's use of narration in 2005 was a bit cheesy and Cadets in 2007 was really annoying and probably cost them a championship. On the other hand, the Bluecoats used narration very effectively in their 2007 show.

• Like 1

BD's use of narration in 2005 was a bit cheesy and Cadets in 2007 was really annoying and probably cost them a championship. On the other hand, the Bluecoats used narration very effectively in their 2007 show.

The idea behind what Cadets were doing in 2007 were sound. Some of the writing was good too, but the performances weren't very good. Some time with a good writer and acting coach would have helped that show tremendously. It still wouldn't have won, but I think it would have been better received.

I just got back from Rockford. It was a great show, but the lowlight for me was the Blue Devils show. In my opinion, it was by far the least audience engaging show of the night. They went on first, and I liked all the shows that followed better. And the the judges put them in first by a comfortable margin? I understand they are an extremely talented group of kids, but aren't the new scoring sheets supposed to reward entertaining and engaging the audience? They sounded like they were back to bleeps and blops which the judges apparently still eat up. Play a frickin melody that will leave me humming to myself after the show.

My only other gripe is that there were no 'instant encores' this year at this TOC event. Disappointing. Guess the corps wanted to get out of there. Long drive ahead of them.

Otherwise, the show was great. Great venue. Nice summer evening. Phantom was great. Also enjoyed the Cadets much more than I thought I would.

Like BD or not, you must admit they are perhaps the most consistet and highly competitive corps on the field today. They have been exceptionally competitive, top 3 or better, for more years then I can remember. I agree, however, sometimes a corps can be very competitive and not very fan friendly.

The weird thing is that my mind is changing on the BD show. Maybe there is still a little part of me that is still ###### about 2009 and another part that is still annoyed by the drill, but there is real genius in this show. I am actually hoping they do not change the ending.

I think if crown loses this year a large part of the blame can go to Leon May. Just because the theme contains superman, does not mean you should have to be super human to march the drill

• Like 2

like-a-boss.jpg

Carry on...

• Like 3

like-a-boss.jpg

Carry on...

Actually, for the most part I feel that the discussion has been pretty civil. Of course, there are some that have been a little obnoxious, but for the most part... it's ok.

It seems like some of the same people who b#####d moaned and groaned about narration and voice are suddenly silent.doh.gif

Sorry - no.

For the record I don't like:

amped voice of any kind

amped instruments

synths

sound patches

anything you have to plug in.