DCI HOUSTON - Hot, Humid, & Happening!

Let's all agree that Crown MUST win in August without question. Yay Crown!

Because really you may want BD to win but you'll still be okay if Crown took their first gold!

Not going to get my vote here. Not only do I disagree, but I am not sure that would even be a good thing for anyone but a Crown fan. Actually, I hope that the best Corp wins. Yay BD!

• Like 5

Crown was on first at 8.8/8.5 ... I think that's right where they've been the past show or two. I wouldn't call that overscoring or lack of numbers management. I think Pipitone just threw out some whoppers tonight because he felt like it. Maybe they're just that good already ... but it's still hard to believe.

Throw out the total scores. The question is, did JJ get the spreads and the ranking right? That's the bottom line. No doubt the subcaption and caption scores for percussion will drop tomorrow, and that's fine if Martin Griffin gets the spreads and ranking correct.

Garry in Vegas

Not going to get my vote here. Not only do I disagree, but I am not sure that would even be a good thing for anyone but a Crown fan. Actually, I hope that the best Corp wins. Yay BD!

I'm not the biggest Crown fan, but I would like to see them win a Gold Medal. I think that they are the best corps this year, minus SCV :tongue: , and a new winner always seems to make the next season more exciting. I know it's not supposed to be done, but compare it to baseball. Or football. Or basketball. I'll stick to college sports though. The last few years in college football, TCU and Boise State have been making lots of noise, because they're from small conferences, and they're knocking on the door of a National Championship. Because they are the massive underdog, every year we see many people jumping on the bandwagon for these corps, because it's refreshing to see someone new at the top. They haven't made the Title game yet, but they've done very well each year, and they gain more fans. But when people see someone not from a Big Conference making noise in the rankings, it gets people excited, because it stirs the pot. It would be the same is Pacific Crest started knocking Blue Stars and Blue Knights around and getting a Finals Spot. Have you seen all of the hype surrounding Crossmen this year making a move up? Same kind of situation.

As much as people like seeing consistency, a storyline or a Cinderella every now and again gets people excited. If you need more evidence, see DCI Finals 2008 and 1996. Strangely enough, both times Phantom Regiment won, but some of the biggest crowd reactions I've ever heard or seen when they were announced, because they were the underdog and the Cinderella, even though they had been hovering near the top many times before, always the bridesmaid situation.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I think that's why we're seeing so much hype around Crown. I want the best corps to win this year, whoever it is. Will I be happier if Crown wins, sure. But I'm not going to go riot in the street if Devs take the title

• Like 4

I'm starting to see that most fans have no problem with the Blue Devil's...... but it's the over-the-top obnoxious behavior of a few of their fans. The thread here tonight is the perfect example. You guys are making it hard to appreciate the efforts of the corps that most of you would never have the class to represent. Some of the nasty attacks I have read here are way out of line. I am starting to wonder who the real "haters" are.

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 2

I'm starting to see that most fans have no problem with the Blue Devil's...... but it's the over-the-top obnoxious behavior of a few of their fans. The thread here tonight is the perfect example. You guys are making it hard to appreciate the efforts of the corps that most of you would never have the class to represent. Some of the nasty attacks I have read here are way out of line. I am starting to wonder who the real "haters" are.

The class? Talk about throwing people under the bus. If you want to make a classy statement, don't do it by saying "most of you would never have the class to represent".

I doubt you're talking about my efforts of trying to defend that the Blue Devils have a hard brass book, but that is a double edged sword we're talking here. The ridiculous thing is that people are dawging on the Blue Devils like people dawg on the Yankees. BD has a winning package, and they are consistently great, but a lot of people are being butt hurt because Crown isn't winning.

I want to see Crown win this year, but I don't want them to win comfortably. They have competition, let it be that. People love to see a Rocky IV moment. Let it happen that way.

Edited by kaseyW
  • Like 1

The class? Talk about throwing people under the bus. If you want to make a classy statement, don't do it by saying "most of you would never have the class to represent".

I doubt you're talking about my efforts of trying to defend that the Blue Devils have a hard brass book, but that is a double edged sword we're talking here. The ridiculous thing is that people are dawging on the Blue Devils like people dawg in the Yankees. BD has a winning package, and they are consistently great, but a lot of people are being butt hurt because Crown isn't winning.

I want to see Crown this year, but I don't want them to just simply win comfortably. They have competition, let it be that. People love to see a Rocky IV moment. Let it happen that way.

I am not going to get dragged into a p%$%ing contest with you. Your idea of defending one corps is to annihilate the others. I refuse to play.

• Like 1

I'm not the biggest Crown fan, but I would like to see them win a Gold Medal. I think that they are the best corps this year, minus SCV :tongue: , and a new winner always seems to make the next season more exciting. I know it's not supposed to be done, but compare it to baseball. Or football. Or basketball. I'll stick to college sports though. The last few years in college football, TCU and Boise State have been making lots of noise, because they're from small conferences, and they're knocking on the door of a National Championship. Because they are the massive underdog, every year we see many people jumping on the bandwagon for these corps, because it's refreshing to see someone new at the top. They haven't made the Title game yet, but they've done very well each year, and they gain more fans. But when people see someone not from a Big Conference making noise in the rankings, it gets people excited, because it stirs the pot. It would be the same is Pacific Crest started knocking Blue Stars and Blue Knights around and getting a Finals Spot. Have you seen all of the hype surrounding Crossmen this year making a move up? Same kind of situation.

As much as people like seeing consistency, a storyline or a Cinderella every now and again gets people excited. If you need more evidence, see DCI Finals 2008 and 1996. Strangely enough, both times Phantom Regiment won, but some of the biggest crowd reactions I've ever heard or seen when they were announced, because they were the underdog and the Cinderella, even though they had been hovering near the top many times before, always the bridesmaid situation.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I think that's why we're seeing so much hype around Crown. I want the best corps to win this year, whoever it is. Will I be happier if Crown wins, sure. But I'm not going to go riot in the street if Devs take the title

hmmmmm...who wants to win other than if they were the best..I see what youre saying but no reason for wanting someone to win. If thats the case then forget the scores and just pick the underdog of the year..........Although winning is cool unless you have truly beat the best, at their best..what does it really mean...JMO...........just not saying who should win , just the winning thing in general

Edited by GUARDLING

I am not going to get dragged into a p%$%ing contest with you. Your idea of defending one corps is to annihilate the others. I refuse to play.

How did I annihilate the others? Did I make a negative comment about Crown or any other corps? No! I said that both books are equally as difficult! EQUALLY! Did you even read the conversation like you said you did?? I, in no way, said that CC "sucked", or that their book isn't as difficult. I freaking love that show, as well as others. I'm a fan of DCI not just one corps, and I don't like to single them out brother.

Edited by kaseyW
  • Like 3

They can keep knocking because the door is shut, locked, and barred and shall be for many years to come. If you put your ear up to it, you'll hear the constant roar of "SEC!!! SEC!!! SEC!!!" ;P

• Like 7

Who is going to smash BD's smoke and mirrors? I don't hate BD I just hate how they are being judged! There is no way that I will accept a show designed like BD's to be the core/pinnacle of what drum corps is. There is no synchronicity, no emotional content, and no visual or musical risk. It's designed to be "clean". (or atleast appear that way)

Whoooo! May have had 1 too many to drink tonight! :D

Why don't you give a shot at judging? If you do, I would take caution in ANY bias that you have for or against certain corps. And you wouldn't get to drink while watching! :P