Little to No Love for Christmas Music

Hi All,

So...am I one of a very few who was interested to see what the Cadets would do with a Christmas themed show in 2012? When the Cadets first started releasing hints (info) about doing a Christmas show in 2012.....there was so much negativity and uncertainty and speculation about performing a Christmas themed show. Why?

Also....if i read it once this season...I read it dozens of times.....'you know....i wasn't at all thrilled about this show idea...but the arrangements are really good...and it is far different (better)than i was expecting.

The other item is......what do people have against Christmas music? Really....there are probably thousands of them....you can't tell me there is nothing out there Christmas related you don't like. :blink: And if there is music you like...how come you think it wouldn't sound good in a drum corps show?

I have determined the following,

Non-religious favorite - Nat King Coles Christmas Song

Religious favorite - O Holy Night

No religious intent here at all folks....but give this a listen...and if you don't find this hauntingly beautiful....i give up.... :satisfied:

Light a couple cinnamon scented candles, turn down the lights...and crank it up

This is a beast by the way (28,400 + pipes smallest smaller than a pencil...biggest over 32 feet)

If you dont like the sound of the chimes (tuning) skip to 1:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ky2mn674Iw

Let me be the first to say.....Merry Christmas :santa:

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

I love Christmas music. There is so much great stuff written for Christmas, classical and popular . . . much of which would be perfect for drum corps. Cavies 91 is one of my favorite shows from that corps, and other than a few little things here and there I really enjoy Cadets this season (that Charlie Brown clip was so loud and unexpected I jumped out of my seat the first time I heard it).

The problem most people have with Christmas music stems from the phenomenon of Christmas creep. Each and every year we get Christmas crammed down our throats a little bit earlier. It's pretty annoying, and two months of it is enough to drive anyone over the edge, especially if you work somewhere that pipes in Xmas music.

Another issue is that a lot of Christmas music falls into the novelty category. This leads many of us to classify all Christmas music as novelty, even when much of it is very serious, quality stuff.

Maybe they really wanted Pearl Harbour?

Well, the attack DID happen in December...

• Like 2

I guess everyone is different. One of my siblings can't stand any music during the Christmas season. They truly hate the thought of all that music...it could be the playing over and over of the same tunes every where you go.

As for me, I love carols. I was the guy on Christmas Tree lane with the wind quintet playing home made arrangements in freezing cold weather, with :xmas::santa: Santa hats on and battery powered lights/garland decorating all of our horns; not to mention the tip stocking! hahaha!

I agree with an earlier statement that Christmas is getting attention earlier and earlier every year. Especially now with Nightmare Before Christmas being more popular than it was almost 20 years ago when it came out, you can't have Halloween without Santa shoving his nose into October.

So point one for me would be that I LOVE Christmas music/carols, but because they are a reserved genre (if you will) for a reserved season. When it's the holidays, it's that time to break it all out; and for musicians, music is usually a great way to do that! Point two would be that as an arranger, I get almost protective of other people's original songs when wondering what happened during a certain arrangement. So many arrangers take what is great and evolve it amazingly. But every blue moon you'll run into that cheesey version of a song that some people already may find annoying. That's probably why so many people were grumbling even before the season started.

I only saw the Cadets show in the theatre in June, and it was done ok. I actually really like Jingle Bells, the song, and have always argued that it is one of the hardest songs to keep from sounding annoying when you arrange it. Next to Disneyland's Small World Holiday, I've heard few great Jingle Bells renditions (for my taste) that truly got me singing or humming along! I've never been a fan of Jazz on the field, as I love both corps and jazz but somehow I can't enjoy them mixed together. Maybe it's all the body bending (fan of posture here hahaha!) So, needless to say, I wasn't tooooooo thrilled with their show SOLELY because of Jingle Bells. And THAT is why I'll never be a DCI judge hahahahaah! :hehe: