BD narration

Yep!

I think it was '95 Scouts (I know it was Masison not sure about the year) that Cesario was talking about when he said "they don't need a concept - they ARE the concept." I wish he would shake that particular club over the design teams for next year.

Seriously - I'm not feeling like the FN membership has been worth it this time around....

Well, you CAN just go back and listen to the shows from 1974 to 1989... so there's that... :tongue:

I agree - and up here in Canada we're not that close to anything (no show in Buffalo this year...)

But the product has to be something you want to see enough to pay money. I wonder if the success of BD's show will spawn a whole raft of over-narrated artsy shows next year. Not something I could watch.

Well, we haven't seen a raft of Dance Derbys.

Or Absurdity shows.

Or Mirror shows.

Or Door shows (to include other corps)

So I doubt we will see many people trying to copy this one...

True - I've been doing some of that. 85 SCV opener still brings the goosebumps! :worthy:

Always will.... always.

I have to say, for me, the entertainment factor across the board is way up this year. Give credit to the new sheets if you want, or just call it a great year.

I'm enjoying this year's BD production more than anything they've done since 2004.

They have an outstanding hornline and drumline with performance levels that are absolutely stellar. They also have imho the best brass soloists by far. I will be listening to this a lot on my ipod.

They tend to lose me with their visual program. I still find fault with their design team for the following:

- designing so as to minimize simultaneous demand of marching and playing

- designing a visual program that is intentionally difficult to judge, in that there are very few transitional forms to critique, too much "individual movement" of members which cannot be critiqued member-to-member, etc.

I wish their visual design team would show the same kind of faith in their members that the staffs of other top 5 programs like Crown and Cadets do, and write something that is both excellent and risky. Something that would push the performers to their limits, with fewer shortcuts designed to win and more wow factor for the audience.

All that being said, I think they have the most talent and will likely win at finals.

Crown's show is amazing to watch. They are pushing their kids to perform something as difficult as I have ever seen on the field. The comparisons to '91 Star are deserved. Their brass has that wonderful sound they have become known for when they are playing the Copland , but for the rest of the show they leave me a little flat. Sometimes it seems like they are playing difficulty for difficulty's sake and it has less "soul" than their shows of the past few years. They have written a monster of a show, and if it was performed flawlessly they would be a shoe-in. While some corps shoot for a perfect swan dive, Crown has opted to try for a slightly messy triple-lindy. More power to them for tackling the nearly impossible and doing a #### good job with it.

Cadets have one of the best all-around packages for me this year. The music is wonderfully written, the theme runs the range from fun to sentimental to goosebump city flawlessly, and their visual package is (pun intended) a sight to behold. Most fun Cadets program in years and a huge crowd favorite. :babies:

Regiment and Vanguard live up to their reputations as well. Turandot is lush and wonderful. Starry Night is gorgeous. They both have fantastic visual programs, tons and tons of audience appeal, and are hugely successful.

This is my favorite top 6 in a long long time, and the medals are within reach of all of them. It's going to be a very exciting finish to the season!

• Like 3

I have to be honest, on the live feeds it sounds like Charlie Browns teacher and coveres up good musical moments. maybe live i'll feel differently

I didn't... The narration was much clearer (and louder) live, but it made the brass sound like mush to me when the two sounds were competing. The opening narration was the worst in terms of this. The English narration that runs over the opening of Gymnopedie works better, I think because it and the pit is all coming through the same mixer and PAs. But, the narration itself is more annoying because I can understand it. :ph34r:

Edited by skywhopper

Also, what if a judge agrees with the position, put forward by some on these forums, that the entire Dada movement represented a cowardly abandonment of duty to country in WWI -- can she find fault with BD for using Dada themes? What if a judge hold the opposite view, expressed by others on these forums, that the Dada movement represented an valuable response to the insanities that led to WWI -- can he praise BD for adopting themes of that movement?

Most of the key influencers of the movement were expatriates from all over Europe who suddenly were placed in a situation where there was a conflict between nations of their peers. At that time, migration in europe was confined mostly to academics, artists, nobility and gypsies. Their unique perspective (close friends, collaborators and confidants from a mix of nations) highlighted the absurdity of the very idea of nationality and any associated sense of loyalty.

It is always the artists that are well ahead of a society, that see a vision of what might be and provoke and persuade those that might not be there yet. Sometimes they are even generations ahead, as in the case of Dada.

Today there are no borders between these once conflicted nations. There is a common currency, a uniform constitution and a shared system of law. The very idea that these people were ever at war with each other now seems entirely absurd... which was sort of the point of Dada. It just took almost a hundred years for the rest of society to catch up.

• Like 2

Most of the key influencers of the movement were expatriates from all over Europe who suddenly were placed in a situation where there was a conflict between nations of their peers. At that time, migration in europe was confined mostly to academics, artists, nobility and gypsies. Their unique perspective (close friends, collaborators and confidants from a mix of nations) highlighted the absurdity of the very idea of nationality and any associated sense of loyalty.

It is always the artists that are well ahead of a society, that see a vision of what might be and provoke and persuade those that might not be there yet. Sometimes they are even generations ahead, as in the case of Dada.

Today there are no borders between these once conflicted nations. There is a common currency, a uniform constitution and a shared system of law. The very idea that these people were ever at war with each other now seems entirely absurd... which was sort of the point of Dada. It just took almost a hundred years for the rest of society to catch up.

Great Post Daniel! yin-yang.gifbluedevil.gifyin-yang.gif

so then, by not digging the show, I'm behind the times.

cool

Look, its a competition, right? BD's winning, right? They must value winning over being univerally loved, right? What's the problem? If they are satisfied with golf claps, that's on them. Personally, if I had given it my all for 11 mins and all I got out of it was golf claps I'd be like, "well, what was the point of that?"

RM

• Like 3