Hello Choreography, Goodbye Marching

funny, i have hundreds of tapes from back then and I never remember hearing that the pit was too loud.

now I know visual people whine about the pit's placement, but hell, visual people whine about everything being in the way of their art

:tongue:

well i got alot of tapes that say it....alot.many on DCA tapes too ( that was constantly)..may not be on a drummers tape but sure as hell was on visual tapes and brass tapes......well drummers seem to be in their own world anyway.....must be all that white noise....oh and the use of the word DUDE...lol..that would be another question....lol :tongue:

Edited by GUARDLING

well i got alot of tapes that say it....alot.many on DCA tapes too ( that was constantly)..may not be on a drummers tape but sure as hell was on visual tapes and brass tapes......well drummers seem to be in their own world anyway.....must be all that white noise....oh and the use of the word DUDE...lol..that would be another question....lol :tongue:

dude is a word that can have many meanings dude.Kinda like yo.

andif a visual judge is complaining the pit is too loud, he's on the wrong #### caption.

and, IMO, part of the problem with many DCA pits back then was #### technique with concrete implements

dude is a word that can have many meanings dude.Kinda like yo.

andif a visual judge is complaining the pit is too loud, he's on the wrong #### caption.

and, IMO, part of the problem with many DCA pits back then was #### technique with concrete implements

well look Dude... :tongue: .lol...cant do it.....lol....ughhhhh thats worse than the throwing babies words...lol anyway..whatever the pit reasons were I just find it interesting now we Mic what was once considered too loud..oh by the way..if it weren't for art we would still be Neanderthals beating on things with a stick....lol....OH WAIT... :tongue: .............lol.......I also did think that music was art..hmmmmm..but again its 2012...things change

Edited by GUARDLING

I tend to be an "anything goes" type of guy. There is a place for tradition and strict rules, but I don't like it stifling my entertainment ... and for me, drum corps is highly entertaining. BD's show is one of the best I have seen in a while.

If you want an old 1970s version of American Legion/VFW drum corps, go to the American Legion and have them start a drum corps. If there is enough demand for that style of drum corps, I'm sure it will flourish. I don't think the current artistic achievement and beauty of drum corps should be stifled by traditions of the past.

well look Dude... :tongue: .lol...cant do it.....lol....ughhhhh thats worse than the throwing babies words...lol anyway..whatever the pit reasons were I just find it interesting now we Mic what was once considered too loud..oh by the way..if it weren't for art we would still be Neanderthals beating on things with a stick....lol....OH WAIT... :tongue: .............lol.......I also did think that music was art..hmmmmm..but again its 2012...things change

Dude! Dude? Dude?? DUUUUUUUDDDDE

there's a million ways to do it. in fact one year we counted 125 ways to properly use dude and what each meant.

Personally I never found the pit to be too loud before, tho at times not loud enough. sadly, now I find it to be too loud far too often because people think it should be at 11 all the time and no judge has the balls to call them on it

Dude! Dude? Dude?? DUUUUUUUDDDDE

there's a million ways to do it. in fact one year we counted 125 ways to properly use dude and what each meant.

Personally I never found the pit to be too loud before, tho at times not loud enough. sadly, now I find it to be too loud far too often because people think it should be at 11 all the time and no judge has the balls to call them on it

STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP NO DUDES.................LOL IT'S funny when I hear a drummer say it when I pass by im like get down and give me 20...and of course now they do it all the more...lol

well as far as sound Im sure we will hear something new yet again in a few years..........whatever that may be and we'll hear why the change was needed and how todays thing did or didnt work......been like that from the beginning...lol..oh well

Edited by GUARDLING

STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP NO DUDES.................LOL IT'S funny when I hear a drummer say it when I pass by im like get down and give me 20...and of course now they do it all the more...lol

well as far as sound Im sure we will hear something new yet again in a few years..........whatever that may be and we'll hear why the change was needed and how todays thing did or didnt work......been like that from the beginning...lol..oh well

I hear ya dude

:devil:

As a relatively new fan, and an outsider to all the traditions of drum corps's past, I only think there should be two rules governing show design:

1. The corps is judged according to the music they produce on the field (and not on something pre-recorded). Electronic accompaniment is fine for effect, but should have no impact on music scores.

2. No woodwinds.

Beyond that, I am 100% in favor of innovation in design and style.

The reason I started this thread is because I attended the Rockford TOC show and saw (and heard) the Blue Devils. First of all, I've LOVED this corps since it burst upon the DCI finals scene in 1974. I was there. I still love them. The quality of their members and staff, year after year and decade after decade, is amazing. I've always thought that the Blue Devils, by virtue of all their DCI titles, was the best marching musical group in the world.

But even though we've all witnessed the changes in the visual (marching) styles over the last couple of decades, the last few years of the Blue Devils shows, and their continued competitive success, will accelerate the change until one very important aspect of the activity has all but disappeared---marching, in the traditional sense. In my original post I stated that the new breed of instructors don't want to march. They want to perform Broadway type "stage shows" on a football field, replacing marching with choreography and staging and props. So, they proposed and voted in favor of new rules for the Visual scoring sheets whereby now it's possible to get maximum Visual (and GE Visual) scores without having to perform strenuous marching shows.

If you don't think the activity in general is going to drastically reduce marching, read Chuch Naffier's post (arrangerX) on the first page of the thread. He has been around the activity a long time and has served on the DCI Judges/Instructors Taskforce. He ends his lengthy response with this, "Marching is going to disappear. Music isn't going to disappear. It will look different. It will sound different."

Some posters say it's just a matter of "style". Really? No, it's much more than that. It's a fundamental change to the activity. It's not that the new Visual rules ban marching, but if corps want to get the highest scores and placements, it would be foolish to have a fast-paced drill that is extremely difficult to execute cleanly as well as very tiring for the brass players and marching percussionists and that affects their ability to play music well and thus hurts their scores in the Music captions as well as Visual.

Under the current rules, having a strenuous marching show will be a competitive handicap versus the corps that perform less physically demanding shows. That's why, in the last paragraph of my original post, I said that with the Blue Devils winning yet another title by virtue of their staff taking advantage of the new rules more than other corps, the others will realize they can concentrate on putting on "stage shows" instead of traditional drum corps shows to maximize their scores. That's not a copy of style, but of substance. Success breeds imitation.

Do you want to see more and more stage shows and less and less marching? It's coming, soon to a football stadium near you. I'm sure you've seen the DCI slogan over the years, "Marching Music's Major Leagues". Now what? Let's have a contest.

I think the way to address this issue is to incorporate a difficulty score into the judging sheet, not to stifle design by creating a bunch of rules based on tradition. This is just my opinion though, and I understand why people might disagree with me. I admit I am not as tied to the tradition of drum corps as many other people here.