Isn't there a major show tonight in Allentown?

Surf owned the crowd tonight, above all other corps

If true ( and I have no reason to believe otherwise as I've seen Jersey Surf this year live myself ) then Jersey Surf " won " the show tonite in Allentown.

Its way more important in my view to have several thousand evaluators on your side in a show than 10 other evaluators.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

If true ( and I have no reason to beliive otherwise as I've seen Jersey Surf this year live myself ) then Jersey Surf " won " the show tonite in Allentown.

Its way more important in my view to have several thousand evaluators on your side in a show than 10 other evaluators.

The whole place was a sea of yellow Thunder Stix. I was really something to be apart of.

Hey all,

Thanks for the complements on my tweets (I am @loudbrass). My wife was tweeting as @michelle_ad. I apologize for the all-thumbs typing and auto-correct nonsense. Hard to type on an iPhone while watching the corps.

I'll type up a full review of both nights, but in the meantime...

By far, no-bull, hands down the best Allentown crowd I've ever seen, both nights. Unlike recent years, they gave it up for everyone from Pioneer on up to Blue Devils. No one got ignored.

And a short rant:

And as for "audience engagement", if it was TRULY being judged correctly, Jersey Surf would have been scored in the top 5 in effect music and effect visual. Sure, they were 19th in all three performance captions and both ensembles, but they were absolutely, without a doubt SCREWED by the effect judges.

It's clear to me now that the new sheets are worthless if it's the same old judges doing what they do. Surf owned the crowd tonight, above all other corps, which again wasn't easy with performances by Madison, SCV and Cadets.

I am now officially on the bandwagon in favor of a MAJOR overhaul of the judging system.

thanks for the tweets!

The whole place was a sea of yellow Thunder Stix. I was really something to be apart of.

Its DCI that loses out that Jersey Surf is not in the theatre next Thursday live. Potential future fans lose out.. DCI loses out. But thats not Jersey Surfs fault. It is what it is.. Jersey Surf is THE DCI Drum Corps story of 2012 in my opinion. If people want something " different " from all the other Corps and shows, well,.. " whoomp.. there it is . "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

If true ( and I have no reason to believe otherwise as I've seen Jersey Surf this year live myself ) then Jersey Surf " won " the show tonite in Allentown.

+1

I wish I could give green ticks on the iPhone.

[Edit: On the computer--fixed.]

Edited by CrownBariDad

Hey all,

Thanks for the complements on my tweets (I am @loudbrass). My wife was tweeting as @michelle_ad. I apologize for the all-thumbs typing and auto-correct nonsense. Hard to type on an iPhone while watching the corps.

I'll type up a full review of both nights, but in the meantime...

By far, no-bull, hands down the best Allentown crowd I've ever seen, both nights. Unlike recent years, they gave it up for everyone from Pioneer on up to Blue Devils. No one got ignored.

And a short rant:

And as for "audience engagement", if it was TRULY being judged correctly, Jersey Surf would have been scored in the top 5 in effect music and effect visual. Sure, they were 19th in all three performance captions and both ensembles, but they were absolutely, without a doubt SCREWED by the effect judges.

It's clear to me now that the new sheets are worthless if it's the same old judges doing what they do. Surf owned the crowd tonight, above all other corps, which again wasn't easy with performances by Madison, SCV and Cadets.

I am now officially on the bandwagon in favor of a MAJOR overhaul of the judging system.

Great thoughts, and thanks for tweeting all night for us!!!!

I always loved the Allentown crowd, but it sounds like tonight they were really giving it up for the performers. :thumbup:

I think you're honestly right, and I've been saying the same stuff. The new sheets are cool and all, but as long as we have the same judges reading them, nothing is going to change. Surf's show really knows how to get everyone on their feet, and really connects with fans young and old (I mean, combining Chuck Mangione and LMFAO in the same show?) and it's a joke that they aren't scoring better in the effect and audience engagement sections of the sheets. But I'm one of those people who would rather have the fans standing and clapping and cheering for me than having a medal around my neck Saturday night. I'd rather influence the 20,000~ people who came to see me at Finals rather than the 10 judges who think they know what the fans really want. GO SURF! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Not buying The Academy's score without the penalty.

I'm with you. I think part of the thing that people don't realize, is you go from a show that required audience participation to something that didn't. (They handed out thundersticks for crying out loud) Of course the audience is going to be more engaged with JS's show over Academy. And then I think the fact that they were late just caused a spiral effect. From what I heard they had a consistent show with their other shows.

They used to be scoring relatively high in GE, but no longer the case it seems. And how is that? If a panel of judges ask to see changes and you make them why should scores be going backwards instead of forwards? But even then I haven't heard of them making huge changes, so I don't see why GE would be going backwards when they are performing at the same level.

Yes the penalty should be there from what I hear, but the score without the penalty is definitely way too low.

• Like 3