DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Agreed....

DCI needs a serious overhaul, but it begins with what is being rewarded. If the show that receives golf claps is the champion, then we have an issue. The judging sheet change didn't fix it.

They also need to align DCI with BOA to not only bring more groups into the fold, but to get schools around the country to be more willing to allow corps to house at their facilities. (DCI/BOA show fee discount for the school that houses a World Class corps)

Then the touring model needs to go back to regional touring until at least July 15th. National touring should only take place in the final month.

I agree with your suggestions, but I disagree with your disdain for dinos (I am one). The only thing more frustrating than arguing with dino is arguing with kids who think they know everything. My Dad used to say "Son, the older you get the smarter I'll get"; it applies here as well.

As to the bolded above, you appear to not have fully thought through this contention. An alignment of DCI with BOA would not incent a school board to admit corps for housing. Their motivations are money-oriented only because they have to turn on the lights and a/c, pay custodians, etc. Any group that approaches a school board these days to donate those costs should not be surprised when they are voted out the door.

School boards don't give a hoot about DCI and/or their relationship with BOA. They care about not spending money, period, and approaching them with anything else in mind is useless. If you want school support, find a way to make the cost of housing corps LESS than the revenue they receive by doing so. Then you could put DCI/BOA/USSBA/WGI/... or any other name on it and be relatively certain that the school board will go along.

• Like 1

Sigh...it's so much easier fighting with you Blue Devils fans than arguing with the dinos :sad:

Boy, ain't that the truth!

But when you consider they had their geologic period snuffed out, and all those actors poking and shooting at them all the time, and those really tiny arms.....no wonder they're cranky.

• Like 1

Boy, ain't that the truth!

But when you consider they had their geologic period snuffed out, and all those actors poking and shooting at them all the time, and those really tiny arms.....no wonder they're cranky.

Come on, Plan. By any definition you are a BD dino, which is what makes you so hard to argue with.

(And you thought it was the strength of your arguments? Ha! The only thing different about you and the other dinos is that the drool dripping off your chin is blue. :tongue: )

I agree with your suggestions, but I disagree with your disdain for dinos (I am one). The only thing more frustrating than arguing with dino is arguing with kids who think they know everything. My Dad used to say "Son, the older you get the smarter I'll get"; it applies here as well.

Dinos are corps fans that stuck around.... Imagine where DCI would be if everyone over <pick an age> just left. And I'm including volunteers, staff and BoD....

As to the bolded above, you appear to not have fully thought through this contention. An alignment of DCI with BOA would not incent a school board to admit corps for housing. Their motivations are money-oriented only because they have to turn on the lights and a/c, pay custodians, etc. Any group that approaches a school board these days to donate those costs should not be surprised when they are voted out the door.

Also worries about liability, damages, questions on what would it do to the fields and headaches with the neighbors. Have a family member with the local teachers group and one big headache is getting the board to consider anything new or that takes extra effort. I can picture "Never done before... no idea what would happen... NO!".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Me too! It needs to go back to the local level again.

Smaller corps are dying left and right, so the solution is to bring abouy more of them? I know the benefits of Open class but I have always been of the consolidation train of thought. Fewer corps, better quality. This could allow increased membership numbers as well.

I have also seen the G bugle debate come up in here. No matter how you spin it, you have to choose: volume of the Gs or tone of the Bbs. Crown is achieving both but they are a needle in a haystack of corps. I will ALWAYS ALWAYS choose the tone and balance of Crown and Bloo over earbleeds anyday.

103 corps? HOLY CRAP!!!! I can barely make it through an entire day at Atlanta. Could you imagine having to watch 103 mostly boring ### corps? I mean really only a handful were really GOOD anyway. Who cares how many marginal corps we lost.

Survival of the fittest. Run a better business and your corps will thrive

you're right! Why...let's have no smaller...err marginal corps...the future members of the WCcorps today! Let's eliminate a training ground, as well as a future fan base to replace us when we all die!

:rolleyes:

Look, there were bad business people yes. But there were good business people who couldn't continue to do things the wayDCI wanted to do them and be a decent corps that could take care of their kids.

Hence why I said, DCi could have helped, but is not entirely to blame. And let's be honest, your beloved Crown was once of those marginal corps. Imagine if we had 10 more like them.

as for fittest...you do realize some of the corps at the top of the rankings are in the worst financial shape right?

• Like 1

Agreed....

DCI needs a serious overhaul, but it begins with what is being rewarded. If the show that receives golf claps is the champion, then we have an issue. The judging sheet change didn't fix it.

They also need to align DCI with BOA to not only bring more groups into the fold, but to get schools around the country to be more willing to allow corps to house at their facilities. (DCI/BOA show fee discount for the school that houses a World Class corps)

Then the touring model needs to go back to regional touring until at least July 15th. National touring should only take place in the final month.

One more thing...

What makes you think that a DCI/BOA alignment would get more "groups" on the field? What groups, drum corps or marching bands? Are you suggesting joint band/corps shows?

I wonder...

A band director has discouraged his kids to march corps because... (pick a reason). But, now that there is an alignment between DCI and BOA, that band director starts sending his kids to corps tryouts?

'splain that to me.

One more thing...

What makes you think that a DCI/BOA alignment would get more "groups" on the field? What groups, drum corps or marching bands? Are you suggesting joint band/corps shows?

I wonder...

A band director has discouraged his kids to march corps because... (pick a reason). But, now that there is an alignment between DCI and BOA, that band director starts sending his kids to corps tryouts?

'splain that to me.

Our band director not only has encouraged 11 kids to join BDB but we have an all Blue Devils staff and bought BDB's drums from 2011.

Booo Yahhhh!