SCV Drum Prelim Scoring

In total percussion, five corps including SCV were separated by only 0.5 (which gets divided in half in determining total score). You think SCV had it rough, Cavies were 4th and 6th in the two percussion subcaptions and yet that was only good enough for 7th overall in percussion... but like SCV, they're giving up almost nothing there in total score to their peer group. JJP obviously thought these five drumlines were very, very close overall.

I think it's a combination of JJ being more willing to place corps a little crazy, and just the cramped nature of a 40-corps prelims scoring stack. I mean, consider their performance order against their scores:

Boston, okay, 9.0/8.9

Cavies, better, 9.2/9.2

Bluecoats, better, but we gotta leave room for five more corps... 9.4/9.4

SCV, uh oh, not quite up to Bloo, but better than Cavies... 9.3/9.3 is the only option.

After that, who knows. :huh2:

Not a big worry, though, Allan K will be able to spread things out a little better on Finals night.

What I find more surprising than SCV in 5th is Crown's drums in 3rd.

• Like 8

I never saw Pipitone near the pit. EVER. The entire night. Any time the battery was on camera (not even close-ups, wide overhead shots too) JJ was chasing the snares or the tenors. Every corps for five hours.

That's MY explanation for why the drum scores are whack-a-doodle. :thumbdown:

• Like 2

I never saw Pipitone near the pit. EVER. The entire night. Any time the battery was on camera (not even close-ups, wide overhead shots too) JJ was chasing the snares or the tenors. Every corps for five hours.

I was there live (quite close to the field) and I saw him in front of the pit all the time. He usually stood on the left side of the DM podium, right next to it, and was hard to spot sometimes. But believe me, he was running back and forth between battery and pit for the entire day.

• Like 1

Anybody else watching the theater feed notice JJ during BD's big drum break? He was doing the body work with them! It was a little hard to see because he was tucked up behind the pit, but he was literally holding up the mic to capture the sound, and doing the body work complete with the two hops to the side at the end. I started laughing, turned to my friend and said, "well I know who's winning drums tonight."

• Like 2

It was very obvious to me that JJ had really done his homework in terms of knowing where to be on the field for each of the last group of lines. He spent MUCH time in front of the pits

with each corps.