2013 Predictions

Okay here we go....

Blue Devils-Suffer competitively in 2013 after their entire design staff resign from the corps to help Racine Scouts get back on the field! Racine is in for a very big year BTW!

Crown- Corps Director Jim Coates is admitted to a mental hospital after flipping out when someone mentions the number 2. Doctors are surprised to find that even while in a straight jacket Jim's cell is covered with the name Devils and Blue painted on the wall in blood.

Phantom- Misses making finals in 2013 after performing the entire 15 hours of Wagner's The Ring and receiving record number of overtime penalty points.

Cadets-perform the music of The Cadets--no not the drum corps, the doo wop group from Los Angeles. Look it up.

SCV- design a show based on the potato featuring audio clips from Hell's Kitchen Gordon Ramsay.

Bluecoats-Move to Hawaii to get away from the winters in Ohio. The only problem is they forgot to arrange transport back to the mainland for tour. Marc their new corps director apologizes to the members in June when he announces tour is canceled.

Boston-do a tribute show to Berklee school of music. They miss making finals because all performers are seated for the entire show and they score 0's in all visual captions.

Cavaliers-perform a tribute show to Dennis Rodman of Chicago Bulls fame. Imagine the uniforms!!

Madison-decide to really exploit their all male status with an all disco show featuring their opener "It's Raining Men".

Blue Knights-I got nothing!

Spirit-design a show featuring the music of Vanilla Ice. Uniform changes include flat top wigs and parachute pants.

Crossmen- perform the music of Chuck Mangione's Children of Sanchez and win DCI!!

Edited by Legolaus
  • Like 1

- SCV finds their groove and put it all together to take the title

- Cadets come out with another great show but fall just short

- BD plays latin jazz, but their percussion has a down year so they drop 2 spots

- Phantom is terrifc in the music captions, but their visual program holds them back (they take high guard at Finals!)

- Madison is strong in all captions while still being a crowd favorite

- Cavies have a cohesive program and start their climb back toward the top

- Crown does more of the same from the last few years, but their show stays too dirty, their perc. is weak, and they get 4th in brass.

- Bluecoats come out with a dud of a show, The talent of the corps is wasted due to poor design

- Boston is solid and would have placed higher if there was more time left in the season.

- Crossmen continue to improve

- SOA Spirit starts the season with a horrible show and has to do major rewrites during tour. They are happy just to make Finals

- Blue Stars change some staff and improve enough from 2012 to sneak into finals

• Like 1

- Crown get 4th in brass.

And pigs will fly.

• Like 4

I'll play along, but I'll add that mine are not predictions ... they are just what I'd LIKE to see happen next year. Obviously, this is only counting WORLD Class Corps ... assuming they are going to continue the Prelims format next year.

1. Carolina Crown - I was lucky enough to witness the most incredible and mindblowing performance, I feel, that I've ever witnessed being there on Finals night this year. I am, in no way, saying "Crown is entitled to the Gold" as some (a small percentage) BD fans on here say (i.e. "I don't know why Crown fans feel like they're entitled to a Championship."). I just feel like they've had two seasons now where, I feel, they earned it. It was just that the judging community didn't feel the same way for whatever reason. However, I really feel that, after this incredibly successful season, they will build an even more amazing show and can hopefully be the first new Champion since Phantom in 1996.

2. Santa Clara Vanguard - It has been way too long since Santa Clara last medaled. If I remember correctly, it was 2004. Santa Clara seems to be on the right track now to get back into the Top 3, I'm hoping as early as next year. With all the staff changes for the 2012 season, if there is a large amount of staff retention for 2013, I think this is actually possible. In fact, I am going to go ahead and say that I want to see Crown win in 2013, but Santa Clara in 2014 with Crown second. :)

3. Madison Scouts - This years corps shows that something special is happening at Madison. If they keep it up, next year, though I know it's a huge stretch, I would love to see them back in the Top 3 -- especially for their 75th Anniversary season.

4. Blue Devils - I know I'll probably end up getting flamed or red neged for this ... but, this is what I'd like to see. Now, if they would start doing shows like 1999-2003 again, I'd love it! However, I know this is still probably unlikely. The only way they'd finish out of 3rd place would be if it was really close, score wise, between 2 and 4.

5 or 6. Phantom Regiment - Though they had an amazing year this year and deserved their medal, I just really want Madison and Santa Clara to get medals along with Carolina Crown in 2013. So, knowing that Blue Devils would probably not drop lower than 4th, this is where I'd like to see Phantom. I just don't know whether I'd want them in fifth or sixth.

5 or 6. The Cadets - This is not meant as a way of saying I have something against The Cadets. No. I really loved their show this year. I just know that, with where I'd like to see other corps, The Cadets would have to drop. I just don't know whether I'd want them in fifth or sixth.

7. Bluecoats - Basically, this is just where they'd have to be with Madison popping up into the Top 3. That's the only reasoning behind me saying I'd want to see them here -- that and that I wouldn't see them beating Phantom or Cadets this year ... unless they have an amazing show.

8. Spirit of Atlanta - I think, though it's probably asking too much, that I'd love to see Spirit place in eighth next season. Earlier in the season this year when Spirit was placing close to eighth, I thought they had a chance of doing it this year. It's sad that they ended up 11th. However, I would love to see them do it next year.

9. Crossmen - Something amazing is happening at Crossmen. Seventeenth to twelfth in one season's time? Yeah ... there's a fire rising (no THE DARK KNIGHT RISES pun intended) in the Crossmen and it's AWESOME! I would love to see them come out even more on fire next year and pop up to ninth.

10. The Cavaliers - This is where I really thought The Cavaliers should have finished this season. Not a knock on the marching members, though. I just felt like they were not the same without Michael Gaines. So, I'd want them down here. Plus, with Madison and Spirit popping up into the Top 8, two corps would have to fall out. Also, without Michael Gaines coming back, I think it would take them a LONG time to rebuild.

11. Boston Crusaders - And, as much as I love Boston, to see the above results come to fruition, I'd want them out of the Top 8. It'd be the only way that outcome would even be remotely possible.

12. Blue Stars - I love Blue Stars ... and I really didn't want them out of Finals this year, but as the season wound down, I knew the only way I'd see Crossmen back in Finals (which I personally wanted to see more than I wanted to see Troopers back in Finals in 2009 ... and I wanted that REALLY bad!) would be if they knocked Blue Stars out of Finals. That being said, I would want them back in next year, but with absolutely no information about the next season, I just don't have the confidence to put them any higher. I know I'm one of the few who loved it, but I just really wish they'd do another show like ReBourne! I loved the aggression of that show! I thought it was a travesty that they didn't stay in the Top 8 with that show. But I digress.

13. Blue Knights - Obviously, by wanting Blue Stars back in Finals, someone else had to be knocked out. I knocked out Blue Knights just because there was no one else that I would want to see out of the Top 12. This is nothing against the Blue Knights ... I love Blue Knights. It's just that, to see Crossmen AND Blue Stars remain in Finals, I thought this was the only logical outcome for my list of "things I'd "like" to see." Again, none of these are predictions.

14. Jersey Surf - After the success of "Bridgemania," they adapt a new identity ... doing more fun shows in the same vein as "Bridgemania." They also have a huge jump in membership thanks to "Bridgemania." This is what I'd like to see happen so that they can rise. I really want them to keep doing more shows like "Bridgemania." I think the activity needs it. I also think that, if they do and are continually successful with it, they will eventually be in the Top 12 ... possibly as early as 2014.

15. Troopers - I would love to see them start to surge back up and make their way back towards Finals.

16. Teal Sound - I know this is the most "out there" and least possible of all of what I've said here, but let me explain why I said this. I would love for them to find some kind of financial sponsor that could help them get back on the road and hire an incredible PR Guru that can quell all the bad PR out there thanks to their folding this season so that they could come back in 2013 stronger and with even more talented membership, finally placing them in the area I wanted them to place in 2010. I know we probably won't see them again in 2013 ... maybe not even in 2014 ... but one can dream.

That's where I'm going to stop. I don't really have any opinions about the others right off the top of my head because the way I feel about those corps always depends on the show they put on the field and how well they perform. For example if Mandarins show next year impresses me, then I'd want to see them rise. I was just using Mandarins as an example, though. Just a hypothetical. I loved their show this year and wanted them higher, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

I feel like a lot of people are really underestimating how well the Bluecoats could do next summer. They are gonna have a TON of vets in the hornline, and I would think they'd have the whole staff (or most of it) back next year to build on what they did this year. Not saying they'll be pushing to the top, but I could see them moving up.

• Like 2

Okay here we go....

Blue Devils-Suffer competitively in 2013 after their entire design staff resign from the corps to help Racine Scouts get back on the field! Racine is in for a very big year BTW!

Crown- Corps Director Jim Coates is admitted to a mental hospital after flipping out when someone mentions the number 2. Doctors are surprised to find that even while in a straight jacket Jim's cell is covered with the name Devils and Blue painted on the wall in blood.

Phantom- Misses making finals in 2013 after performing the entire 15 hours of Wagner's The Ring and receiving record number of overtime penalty points.

Cadets-perform the music of The Cadets--no not the drum corps, the doo wop group from Los Angeles. Look it up.

SCV- design a show based on the potato featuring audio clips from Hell's Kitchen Gordon Ramsay.

Bluecoats-Move to Hawaii to get away from the winters in Ohio. The only problem is they forgot to arrange transport back to the mainland for tour. Marc their new corps director apologizes to the members in June when he announces tour is canceled.

Boston-do a tribute show to Berklee school of music. They miss making finals because all performers are seated for the entire show and they score 0's in all visual captions.

Cavaliers-perform a tribute show to Dennis Rodman of Chicago Bulls fame. Imagine the uniforms!!

Madison-decide to really exploit their all male status with an all disco show featuring their opener "It's Raining Men".

Blue Knights-I got nothing!

Spirit-design a show featuring the music of Vanilla Ice. Uniform changes include flat top wigs and parachute pants.

Crossmen- perform the music of Chuck Mangione's Children of Sanchez and win DCI!!

You've got WAY too much time on your hands. Don't quit your day job...oh, I forgot, you don't have one!

Edited by madalumni

You've got it backwards. The Blue Stars and Troopers OPERATE with plenty of respect. It's that they are SHOWN no respect by dci as they near their 50th seasons. You don't let the Crossmen sneak into the Finals at the 11th hour after beating them and others ahead of you all summer long if you truly respect them. Blue Stars got thrown under the bus and the Troopers have been kicked around for several seasons. How much longer do you think they will take it? Lots of butts are kissed and calls for help are answered when you're in the world of the cake-eaters. But try to get them to listen when you're the Racine Scouts or a corps that is 50+ and helped to build the building you now call HOME.

Not sure how to react to this...

Any tips, DCPers?