Madison Scouts 2013

Word is that Madison is shaping up well this season. Gonna shake things up this summer!

Preseason hype is awesome. There must be 12 corps gonna be in the top 5 this year.

Personally I prefer a more guarded approach. I am thinking the slotting has already happened for this year. :cool:

• Like 2

Wow. This is a shame. The Scouts Corps jacket is sacred. No one else should ever wear it. It saddens me to see this.

Night on Bald Mountain, also known as "Night on the Bare Mountain" is definitely an unexpected choice. Madison has never played it before, but the choice of this particular work might be due to its odd history:

From Wikipedia:

"Although Mussorgsky was proud of this youthful effort, his most ambitious and only significant orchestral work, his mentor Miliy Balakirev refused to perform it. To salvage what he considered worthy material, Mussorgsky attempted to insert his Bare Mountain music, recast for vocal soloists, chorus, and orchestra, in two subsequent projects—the collaborative opera-ballet Mlada (1872) and the opera Sorochintsï Fair (1880).

However, the work achieved fame and is still best known in Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov's edition, a 'fantasy for orchestra' titled A Night on the Bare Mountain (1886), composed 5 years after Mussorgsky's death.

A Night on the Bare Mountain was never performed in any form during Mussorgsky's lifetime.[3] The Rimsky-Korsakov edition premiered in 1886 in Saint Petersburg, and has become a concert favorite. The original tone poem by Mussorgsky was not published until 1968, and although it is seldom heard, it is gradually gaining exposure and popularity.

Many listeners became acquainted with Night on Bald Mountain through the Disney animated film Fantasia (1940), which used an arrangement of Rimsky-Korsakov's edition made by Leopold Stokowski."

BRING IT!

I would think that anyone willing to sell it doesn't deserve to wear it. But I don't know their situation either.

i wish I wasn't in my hospital bed so that i could do a bit more research. I have never been involved in Ebay. I am thinking that I (or with some DCPers) would buy the jacket.

If the seller was a Scout alum in desperate straits, I'd arrange for the jacket to be loaned back through chris and jim for their brother. If that wasn't the situatuation, I'd look to donate the jacket to chris and jim for a current member without one who might be in financial struggles and could not afford one. These two guys arranged for me to do something similar for a past member several seasons ago who was trying to do summer tour with sneakers/tennis shoes held together by duct tape....and still have good feet ready for shows.

Do you know how hard it is to find size 13 quadruple EEEE New Balance in the middle of nowhere in the state of somewhere on tour?!?!

What say you DCPers? Not complaints, but solutions.

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 2

On rare occasion a jacket will come up on eBay or Craig's List for sale. Dann and I monitor these sites for things like this. We first politely ask the seller to remove the item and not sell it. If they were a corps member, they often comply. Sometimes these jackets come to sellers through estate auctions or through abandoned storage lockers. If the seller won't comply, then the corps will offer to buy the jacket if it's reasonable to do so.

One problem we've had is that there are black-market jackets being made in Japan and being sold online. And it's not just corps jackets, but other corps merchandise as well. That's been a bit more difficult to battle, but we try to stay on top of that as well.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps

• Like 7

I guess it's true: Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

i wish I wasn't in my hospital bed so that i could do a bit more research.

Can't rush things. Its always best to follow the doctors orders.