Madison Scouts 2013

What is the drum major doing to the four guardsmens at the beginning of the show? It looks like he is pounding their chests. There is a custom in the Army Airborne school, after the graduation jump the Airborne wings are pounding into the chest without the keepers on the back. That means the pins are going into your skin. That is the only thing I can come up with. Anyone have an insight?

Hu-yah....

You got it.....Blood Wings! And it's Hooah!

• Like 1

You got it.....Blood Wings! And it's Hooah!

So Hooah...is there a variation on that, like "Hoorah"? Or is that

more of a Hollywood embelishment?

So Hooah...is there a variation on that, like "Hoorah"? Or is that

more of a Hollywood embelishment?

In the Army, it's "hooah". In the Navy, "hoo-ra". The Marines use "oo-rah". And in the Air Force, it's "Please adjust the thermostat. I think it's up to 76 in here."

• Like 4

In the Army, it's "hooah". In the Navy, "hoo-ra". The Marines use "oo-rah". And in the Air Force, it's "Please adjust the thermostat. I think it's up to 76 in here."

And if it was the Fall of 66 all over again, when the Army was coming in the front door with my draft notice, I'd still go out the back door with the USAF. Four damm good years, mostly in Deutschland.

• Like 1

Lol. Awesome! Even my Air Force buddies would laugh at that.

For the Scouts from the 70's it was pronounced "Hooh-ka"

Yes, and I've seen pictures to prove it...and I've seen some of those

guys in person recently...to prove that it still applies. Lol.

First of all, I was in Lawrence and Allentown and they complained at both shows about Madison's nostalgic and stale shows--by constant standing ovations! We must attend the same shows. Second anyone who complains about nostalgia is wrong about this show. I firsts started following drum corps in 1975 and I do not recall Madison ever playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" during the DCI era and from what I can see, it was last performed in competition in 1971. So anyone 50 or younger probably does not remember it being performed. There's no way back in the day they were allowed to sing, so the arrangement is totally new. All the other show material is new original, and effective.

I will have to say that I was disappointed with Madison's placement last evening. I am a BAC fan, and I thought BAC's show was phenomenal last night, so I am biased, but Madison moved me once again. I do not think either Madison or BAC should have placed behind Cavies. However, since this is a Madison thread, I won't say which of the two I would have put in third place. However, as long as Madison or BAC is in the top 7 at finals, I'll be satisfied.

Personally, I think this is Madison's best show since 1999, which is one of my two favorite Madison shows, the other being 1985. Oh wait, that includes Gershwina nd Slaughter, I guess I'm being too nostalgic.

The people on this thread quite honestly don't seem to know much about Madison, and I find it amusing. I'm appreciative of your comments, especially considering the fact that you are a Boston Crusaders fan, first and foremost. Yet you appreciate Madison's show. It seems like the folks on this thread were behind Madison at the beginning of the season when they were doing so well. Now that they are in 9th place , all of a sudden, they are finding all kinds of ridiculous fault with the corps. All this stuff about needing a more demanding show, being too nostalgic, etc., etc. I would like to say to these people that I think James Mason and the Madison staff know what they are doing. I have not counted the Scouts out. Let's see what happens. If they stay where they are in 9th place, it will be a real travesty. And I agree with you about the Cavaliers...Boston placing behind them is a mystery to me.

Lol. Awesome! Even my Air Force buddies would laugh at that.

Yep - 13 years USAF here and we really did like our air conditioning! Sometimes we'd even invite the Navy guys in to cool off. :tongue:

• Like 2

The people on this thread quite honestly don't seem to know much about Madison, and I find it amusing. I'm appreciative of your comments, especially considering the fact that you are a Boston Crusaders fan, first and foremost. Yet you appreciate Madison's show. It seems like the folks on this thread were behind Madison at the beginning of the season when they were doing so well. Now that they are in 9th place , all of a sudden, they are finding all kinds of ridiculous fault with the corps. All this stuff about needing a more demanding show, being too nostalgic, etc., etc. I would like to say to these people that I think James Mason and the Madison staff know what they are doing. I have not counted the Scouts out. Let's see what happens. If they stay where they are in 9th place, it will be a real travesty. And I agree with you about the Cavaliers...Boston placing behind them is a mystery to me.

Good post! I don't know if anyone has gone this direction...but in the world of business/money, my guess is that Madison is selling quite well. All good things for DCI, the Scouts, and fans who pay to watch shows, etc. I am sure the members of the Scouts would like higher placements...but I'm certain they are enjoying the crowd response way more than what scores or placements are providing.