Madison Scouts 2013

The most interesting thing for me about the percussion score was I believe they topped Crown?

Two years or so ago it was essentially a swap of percussion staffs between the two.

I believe Lee Beddis is top notch and an excellent caption head

frankiE

Yes--everytime Lee has worked with our guys we show marked improvement. I think it paramount to hold on to this staff..

I certainly don't see any surprise in Madison beating Crown in drums. Better writing - and now they are performing better as well. Now if only the guard scores could improve.

• Like 1

I certainly don't see any surprise in Madison beating Crown in drums. Better writing - and now they are performing better as well. Now if only the guard scores could improve.

What's disappointing is that it was strongly believed early on this year that the Scouts had taken a major step forward in fixing Madison’s ever present guard problems...12th place in guard last night would seem to scream "back to the drawing board"! Also, Madison’s percussion was putting up nice numbers early in the season, and then they seemed to fade. Let's hope that Madison's "big" drum score last night continues in that direction over the next two nights...If not, we'll probably be discussing 9th place come late Saturday evening.

What's disappointing is that it was strongly believed early on this year that the Scouts had taken a major step forward in fixing Madison's ever present guard problems...12th place in guard last night would seem to scream "back to the drawing board"! Also, Madison's percussion was putting up nice numbers early in the season, and then they seemed to fade. Let's hope that Madison's "big" drum score last night continues in that direction over the next two nights...If not, we'll probably be discussing 9th place come late Saturday evening.

I wouldn't say back to the drawing board. It can take a looong time (especially these days) to build a mature/experienced

and consistent Color Guard, so I would say, keep building. Keep in mind, we are competing with programs like the Cavies

and Boston. In the former case, that's a program that took a long time to build up to contender level....and has remained at

that level for literally decades! We won't just get there overnight. It may take 4-5 more years before we have a consistent top

5 Color Guard. And in my opinion after seeing about 15 shows this season, they are improved over last year. There is another

factor here (not screaming conspiracy either), judges have long memories....sometimes their opinion - and you can hear it

come out in the tapes - holds over from the year before, or even back in the early season. You really have to strive to convince

them otherwise. Tonight we have Debbie Torchia judging the caption. We will need to convince - a skeptic - big time!

After the reaction they got in the theater I was in yesterday, they shouldn't give a #### how they place. They are phenomenal this year. Yes the visual program is a little lacking, but it's not terrible. I actually quite enjoy the drill this year, and the guard is not as bad as we are making them sound. They're just not top 6. Who cares, too late to fix it this year. Take care of that in the off season Let's enjoy the last two performances of this incredible show this year. Let's not jump ship when there are still two nights left! Come on! I thought Madison fans were some of the most dedicated in the activity, don't let up now!

Then there is this part of it. I had NO idea this was based off of a real life story. That made it so much more real for me. I had a huge lump in my throat after they finished and I could hear people crying around me. THAT'S HOW YOU DO DRUM CORPS. One of the directors at the school I assist at was in the military, he really appreciated the show. Of the about 40 kids from my old high school I asked who their favorites were, Madison was in just about everyone's top 2. Another one of the kids I teach has a brother in the military, hit her home pretty hard too. So maybe the visual design and guard are not up to par with the rest of the corps, but like I said, worry about that next year and enjoy the hell out of this years show while we still can...by far my favorite Madison show along with 1992 and 1996.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say back to the drawing board. It can take a looong time (especially these days) to build a mature/experienced

and consistent Color Guard, so I would say, keep building. Keep in mind, we are competing with programs like the Cavies

and Boston. In the former case, that's a program that took a long time to build up to contender level....and has remained at

that level for literally decades! We won't just get there overnight. It may take 4-5 more years before we have a consistent top

5 Color Guard. And in my opinion after seeing about 15 shows this season, they are improved over last year. There is another

factor here (not screaming conspiracy either), judges have long memories....sometimes their opinion - and you can hear it

come out in the tapes - holds over from the year before, or even back in the early season. You really have to strive to convince

them otherwise. Tonight we have Debbie Torchia judging the caption. We will need to convince - a skeptic - big time!

Using "drawing board" as a rather broad brush...Recruiting, retention, design,...And man, it would be nice to see some top retention more than a year or two just with instruction. It took Sal Salas a number of years to produce at the time one of the best guard programs in the Country when he was at the helm directing the Scouts Guard (and State Street Review) (He’s now running SCV’s guard). And during his era, Madison's guard was in many ways considered the bench mark. So, you are dead on...It does take a while, and then you have to exhibit consistency. Here in lies your other truism...These human beings called judges have biases, they have likes and dislikes based upon programs which align with their personal belief systems...It's the unfortunate human element we're dealing with. I believe Madison's percussion is dealing with this aspect of changing minds in a very real way as well...This is why we've seen the Scouts percussion scores all over the place this summer. The positive difference here though, is that I believe the percussion caption is on the right track and just needs to keep plowing forward!

Here's wishing the Scouts a wonderful last performance tonight!

• Like 1

Ok Scouts....on to 2014....with a better visual package! Missed out on a top 6 finish this year because of it. Keep improving!

• Like 1