Another open letter to DCI.

Was there this much angst after The Cadets won in 2011? I'm guessing there wasn't. Which kind of undermines the argument that this has nothing to do with BD.

Infact I remember people on DCP commenting that after champs in 2011 things were "quiet" on here. everyone was content with the winner. After 2010 and now after 2012 you have a lot of angst. Which obviously nobody wants.

ah! found it! T

There is this thread from 2011 called "first week after finals traffic" where people say traffic on DCP is LOW after Cadets one last year. Even posters saying there was no controversy to stir the pot and people were content with the champion and had nothing to complain about.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/148188-first-week-after-finals-traffic/

Edited by charlie1223

Interesting, n'est-ce pas, that we've had two shows in five seasons (2008 and 2012) that incorporate essentially the exact abstract visual 'design' you speak of from the same corps?

BDs visuals are not the major design criticism. IMHO, 2008 visual design was supremely more entertaining. That said, despite my heart's longing for Crown to have won, the best corps prevailed Saturday. I would hope that next season, Wayne and all his cohorts could come up with a Cirque type show that can we ALL can cheer loudly for:)

I don't know how many new fans were created this year, but I know there are at least two...myself and a young lady from Kansas that I met through BK's FB.

I'm a fan because, through my son, I've discovered a musical entertainment medium that I find just as enjoyable as a symphony orchestra performance, albeit for different reasons.

The young lady from Kansas traveled to Indy as part of her high school marching band to participate in the parade. She's a Freshman this year and she is determined to become a Blue Knight.

The two of us will take up the slack two of you quitters leave behind.

Cya.

Grandpa wrote:

Most people generally feel there's no need to [reinvent the wheel] :tongue:

Guardling answered:

theres that " MOST PEOPLE " thing again :rolleyes::tongue:.

and mellodude countered:

And he would be correct in saying that unless you can prove otherwise. :lookaround::devil:

But neither can Grandpa prove it to be true. Looks like it's a standoff :yin-yang:

Peace,

Fred O.

How about just leaving quietly?

Many people do that. Actually my countersuggestion is to keep it to keep a rage quit letter to six sentences or less, because that's all a lot of people are going to read before moving on. Time is precious, and if you've already decided to go, many people are not likely to invest the kind of time it takes to distill your much longer letter down to six sentences for you. Writing the six-pager suggests you're trying to justify it to yourself more than anything else. Write the long one first if you have to, and then cut it down. It will have more impact that way.

[Writing shows for the way judges interpret GE rather than the way many fans interpret GE] is how they are cliniced.Also, look at the new sheets on the DCI website. "innovation" figures prominently on the GE sheets, I also believe it is also to be seriously considered on every other World Class sheet. Who was the most 'innovative' this year? Only one real answer to that, whether anyone likes that answer or not.

The judges doing what they are asked to do as best they can do it by the DCI members. BD read the sheets a bit more thoroughly and exploited the bejesus out of the innovative angle, whether anyone likes the outcome or not.

I agree with you. I just think this disconnect is a (potential $$$) problem for DCI, because it's leaving many people feeling disconnected and dissatisfied. Supposedly the new sheets were going to address this disconnect. I don't see that they did at least in terms of how GE got rewarded. I do think there is support for your suggestion that the new sheets may have influenced what got written, just not the way many fans wanted.

• Like 1

and ............. now it's getting ugly.

Certain corps make no bones about the fact that they are there to win and that's their only purpose. They've been vocal and public about it. Are their wins tainted because that's their goal ... nah. They won .. so what? Another year is just around the corner ... and at some point, their approach in show design will either be embraced or rejected ... in which case they'll change. If it's continued to be embraced .. then they won't change .. and more and more people will lose interest in DCI .... lots of money going with them.

That's all the OP is saying.

He could have just said that, without calling out corps by name and going on about his military service and all that. If you've gotta get it off your chest I guess that's OK, but the o.p.'s tone is a bit too self-righteous for my taste.

Fred O.

Attending a 2012 show and moaning and groaning about how it isn't like the distant past is an uneducated opinion regarding modern drum corps (IMO, anyway). Why would anyone in 2012 go to a DCI show and wish it were like 1972? Would anyone attending a 1972 show expect that it would be like 1932?

There's rule one of "ignorant, stupid or evil" again - "if they don't agree with me, they must be ignorant"....

Rules one and two fall under the "hubris" category.

See - it works quite well for all circumstances, both sides of the fence.

The simple fact is that Blue Devils won because they were incredibly clean and had no weaknesses.

Yes, scatter drill is very easy to clean.

But I agree based upon what the judges want these days, BD did the best job of delivering that.

As to the BD souvie trailer making a lot of money.....remember, this is America and people like winners. Why do you think the Lakers, Yankees, Giants, Cowboys, Manchester United, Real Madrid all sell more stuff then their counterparts? People like consistent winners. So selling a bunch of T-Shirts does not equal an audience liked show. To figure that out go by the applause. And if you do that, BD was certainly not tops on most people's list at finals.