Another open letter to DCI.

As for liking older things- I have no issue with that. Many folks like myself love to see a nice Model T Ford, vintage race car, or Yenko Camaro. Vehicles evolved. So has this activity. DCI stresses innovation. It's stressed pushing the envelope from Day One. It's why it was created in part- to get out from the goofy VFW rules.

Sometimes when one pushes the envelope, you can get it right, or get it wrong, and fail pretty specatcularly. Competition and the harsh realities there usually straighten out the mistakes.

There were some fantastic and very enjoyable shows out there this year. There were some stinkers. I thought BD was pretty cool myself, and I do understand why many people may not enjoy it, but at least this guy did.

Like going to an art museum. I don't expect you to like all the paintings. I don;t expect all fo them to affect you, or expect all of them to affect me, either. I enjoy a lively discussion about them, and about the shows in DCI as well.

I'm still finding the gold nuggets in the stream when I pan for gold. I'd think many of the gripers are also finding some whether they care to admit it or not. Or maybe they think there's more gold in that thar stream than there really might be. I don't know. :satisfied:

• Like 1

How about just leaving quietly?

This activity ignites strong passions within people, both for good and bad. It's one of the reasons I marched and still enjoy performing with my alumni corps. Sometimes, you gotta gripe. I can see both sides of the coin, but I'm seeing more upside than down myself. :satisfied:

• Like 2

When you consider the 20th place corps got some of the best reactions all summer long, that should send a huge message

This, IMO, brings up a more interesting discussion point:

where SHOULD this activity be headed? Should corps focus more on entertainment and less on innovation, or vice versa? I honestly think that corps strive for both, and obviously different people have different ideas of "entertaining." I personally did not like Surf much, and none of my friends/colleagues who saw them thought anything more than "it's cute how that corps is aping a corps from the early 80's" type of way. I think that DCI clearly strives for innovation, setting new standards, exploring new ground design-wise, etc. If DCI wants to radically change and shift things toward entertainment, I think it's plausible that just as many people would be unhappy with that direction.

Again, there's a fine line w/both, and tastes vary. I would be FAR more interested in a show that aims high and misses the mark (an example for that, IMO, is Bluecoats the year they did 'Imagine' - I really couldn't get into the show, but I got what they were going for and applaud the effort) than I am interested in a show that shoots for "low brow" type of design/effect (for example, I REALLY rolled my eyes at Phantom's "hey, we need a few more tenths: lets kill someone else!"). I fail to see a reason why EVERY corps should shoot for broad-appealing popular shows, when it seems like every year there are several corps who aim for that stuff, several who go for "out there" experimental type stuff, and a whole lot in the middle that are maybe entertaining but 'harmless.'

I also think people are just bitter that a show they liked lost and a shot they didn't like won. If Crown had cleaned their vis and percussion significantly finals week and pulled off the win, I don't think there'd be nearly as much drama and "I'm leaving" drivel. The simple fact is that Blue Devils won because they were incredibly clean and had no weaknesses. Crown lost because they had more weaknesses than strengths. I think if Crown were just as clean as Devs performing, they would've (easily) won. Once Crown figures out how to write challenging/effective visual books that are also achievable they'll win. I think they're really close (this year was, I think, obviously their best design ever), and could be there in a season or two. It took Cavaliers a bit to find their 'formula,' as it took BD in the early part of last decade. When/if Crown figures out their formula they'll be rocking/knocking on the door for their gold medal.

true. but paying fans pay the bills. it is a fine line to walk.

many corps go all out trying to straddle that line, and several do well.

some, IMO don't even try

In my opinion, it isn't really a fine line at all. I could care less if the crowd is entertained or not. Yes, keeping fans buying tickets is important, and I understand why people would be concerned at making sure paying fans still find the activity accessible. If every corps was doing shows like BD did this year, that would be a disaster (I loved BD's show this year, by the way). But I am not addressing the general trend of show design. I am addressing the attitude of "I am not entertained, therefore I am going to stop supporting DCI and the opportunity it is offering to young people." I find that very selfish, and I don't think it is a fine line at all.

If we want to talk about increasing the fan base, I would be happy to do that in another thread. I just think people need to think about what their priorities should be with respect to drum corps. Everyone can make their own decision, but for me ... while I find drum corps very entertaining ... I find the opportunity for growth and achievement that is offered to the participants far more important. That is why I plan to continue supporting the activity for a long time to come.

While it is great to use this forum for discussion, if you are truly serious, I suggest you post on DCI's Facebook wall or writing them a handwritten letter.

in blood. thumbup.gif

• Like 1

It is how they are cliniced.Also, look at the new sheets on the DCI website. "innovation" figures prominently on the GE sheets, I also believe it is also to be seriously considered on every other World Class sheet. Who was the most 'innovative' this year? Only one real answer to that, whether anyone likes that answer or not.

The judges doing what they are asked to do as best they can do it by the DCI members. BD read the sheets a bit more thoroughly and exploited the bejesus out of the innovative angle, whether anyone likes the outcome or not.

Performance issues also hurt the two more enjoyed contenders this season. People forget that there's more to the total score than a powerful as heck horn line that played at an insane level or a marvelously engaging story and horn book. 3rd and 7th in percussion really hurt those contenders.

Or are we to just forget that the percussive art is also to be considered in "DRUM Corps?" :satisfied: It may not be well understood by many fans... but how much does one care to weight it? And I'm a horn guy speaking out for the percussionists out there.

Bingo! A lot of the confusion over the GE scores could be alleviated by simply looking at the GE criteria on the judges' sheets.

Edited by jasgre2000

Was there this much angst after The Cadets won in 2011? I'm guessing there wasn't. Which kind of undermines the argument that this has nothing to do with BD.

• Like 1