"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

you're killing me :smile:

Don't forget, it would be the corps that set up the rules...I don't see corps staffs wanting to go backwards from where they are today just to remain "as is" in the traditional division. I can see them not wanting to add WW, strings, choirs, etc...that the new division would permit, but that doesn't mean they want to get rid of elements they have wanted for a long time, and were just recently implemented.

I know... I just expected a little more...

:smile:

I am constantly amazed by some that when a word like "traditional" is used, they automatically go sputtering off into the extreme. I'd hazard a guess no one expects members to strap on tympani and march it up and down the 50.

What line in time would "traditional" be? Gah, I don't know - the one where the music was the priority.

How would you get members to sign on for this? Easy - for brass: ask them if they'd rather play 10 solid minutes of music or if they'd rather do 6 minutes music, 6 minutes dance. For percussion: would you prefer a more melodic approach to drumming or a more technical score? Guard: no real problem with what today's guard is doing.

The New Wave would be the splendiferous visual free-for-all while the traditional would be a high-flying, pulse pounding brass and percussion bonanza.

:blink::w00t::thumbup::tongue: everyone wins.

i think drawing any line, seperating any corps styles wouldnt be good at all. How boring to see a contest of all avante Garde totally out of the box shows and also how I would want to shoot myself watching all traditional type shows ( which ever decade anyone deems acceptable ) the best part , and I think it should be encouraged not looked down upon, is that DCI as a whole accepts ALL styles of designs.. I think it basically has done this otherwise you would not have BD, Crown and PR in the top 3..they are 3 destinct styles and as from 4-12 you will see a big variety as it should be. I see most pople want seperation more due to the toys, which a corps should be able to use or not. Piegon hole corps to a specific type and then seperate and I believe it all dies. We are a small enough niche as it is, break it up even smaller and it goes away....JMO

BRASSO... I'm glad you like to write and think you're a genius but I am not a fan of your idea. I dont like your idea on your two divisions and I got a big laugh out of your horn idea.

You can disagree with this 2 tier system suggestion of mine... and get a kick out of my horn idea. But I would appreciate your retaining of your keen observation skills that I am a genius. I can't disagree at all with you on this, Kevin.

I am constantly amazed by some that when a word like "traditional" is used, they automatically go sputtering off into the extreme. I'd hazard a guess no one expects members to strap on tympani and march it up and down the 50.

What line in time would "traditional" be? Gah, I don't know - the one where the music was the priority.

How would you get members to sign on for this? Easy - for brass: ask them if they'd rather play 10 solid minutes of music or if they'd rather do 6 minutes music, 6 minutes dance. For percussion: would you prefer a more melodic approach to drumming or a more technical score? Guard: no real problem with what today's guard is doing.

The New Wave would be the splendiferous visual free-for-all while the traditional would be a high-flying, pulse pounding brass and percussion bonanza.

:blink::w00t::thumbup::tongue: everyone wins.

There you go !

i think drawing any line, seperating any corps styles wouldnt be good at all. How boring to see a contest of all avante Garde totally out of the box shows

You wouldn't. You'd get 3 or 4 Avart Garde Division Corps in a show, and 3 or 4 Traditional Division Corps in the show. 2 scores.. one for each Division. We already have some Corps in Open Division competing in shows where the World Class Division Corps compete...,with 2 scores.. so its not something entirely new where Corps from 2 divisions are performing and competing in the same show, and under different judging sheets to boot.

Edited by BRASSO

You wouldn't. You'd get 3 or 4 Avad Garde Division Corps in a show, and 3 or 4 Traditional Division Corps in the show. 2 scores.. one for each Division. We already have some Corps in Open Division competing in shows where the World Class Division Corps compete...,with 2 scores.. so its not something entirely new where Corps from 2 divisions are performing and competing in the same show.

if were having some of each in a show..then whats the difference? leave it as it is....seperating scores only makes everyone go home with a trinket which sounds very high school like in some HS Band circuits. Also it makes some happy on each side.( spectators ).maybe.....these debates on who was best, what style was best , what was real drum corps, what wasnt, who is innovative , whos old fashioned have been going on since the beginning of Drum corps BUT thats what makes it good I think.. AS long as either or style can win ( which it has ) as long as deserved thats how it should be. Seperate even within the same contest and were doomed for sure...and as one bleeds into another or what becomes ok to use in the other what a nightmare of specifics. Judges have a hard enough time as spectators understaning sheets do this and OMG. jmo

Edited by GUARDLING

Don't forget, it would be the corps that set up the rules...I don't see corps staffs wanting to go backwards from where they are today just to remain "as is" in the traditional division

And of course, this is not what is being proposed at all here. Although if a Corps WANTED to go retro in their style of show, music, etc that would not by its very nature prevent them from placing highly or scoring well in the Traditional Division. Staff would be still encouraged to be creative and forward looking in their show design... but in a Traditional Division framework. There is LOTS of creativity available to staffs with music that is familiar, accessible, etc. LOTS of available source material. As mentioned, the Traditional Division would not be against ALL change. It might have a judging system that is more music oriented. It'd be a work in progress. But all done in a framework of general audience appeal and where performance and execution would STILL carry the day.... and new and creative show designs within the Traditional based context would still get the creative juices flowing for staffs. I KNOW there are staffs out there in DCI right now that would be on board with this type of Tradition based DCI Division. And those like BD ... and you... that want an " anything goes " DCI could have that too in your own separate DCI Division. Everybody's happy then. And we grow the activity and the fan base. I realize its all pie in the sky stuff. But its not as impractical as you think, imo

Edited by BRASSO