For Dinosaurs Only

Emotional ... Intellectual ... Aesthetic. Okay. Here's how I'd rate the top four shows last year.

BD - High on Intellectual and Aesthetic. Lower on Emotional.

Crown - High on Intellectual and Emotional. Lower on Aesthetic.

Phantom - High on Emotional and Aesthetic. Lower on Intellectual.

Cadets - High on Emotional and Aesthetic. Lower on Intellectual.

So where does that leave me (us?).

HH

Crown... high on the Intellectual and Emotional... lower on the Paradiddles.

• Like 1

I thought the customer was always right.

I have no idea what scares you so much about the audience having real input into the results of the contest. Even at 10%, that only gives the entire audience the same influence as one judge. That will not turn the competitive outcome upside down.

what makes you think im scared of anything...just because i dont agree?.....i dont care if its 5% or 1% shows are decided by 1 tenth...how could you be in this activity and say , that one judge doesnt turn things upside down , of course it does as I said 1 tenth changes things and to leave that thrown up in the air randomly and whereever things fall thats fine is IMO crazy

what makes you think im scared of anything...just because i dont agree?.....i dont care if its 5% or 1% shows are decided by 1 tenth...how could you be in this activity and say , that one judge doesnt turn things upside down , of course it does as I said 1 tenth changes things and to leave that thrown up in the air randomly and whereever things fall thats fine is IMO crazy

The Blue Saints would not beat the Blue Devils no matter what one rogue judge does.

Now, if you are concerned about a pair of corps within a tenth of each other, that is hardly more than a tiebreaker. And if the battle for 29th place between Genesis and Legends flipped on that account, that is not what I would call turning things upside down. Is the possibility of flipping a one-tenth decision unaccceptable to you? (If so, you must have been a barrel of laughs when the colorguard caption was being introduced.)

The Blue Saints would not beat the Blue Devils no matter what one rogue judge does.

Now, if you are concerned about a pair of corps within a tenth of each other, that is hardly more than a tiebreaker. And if the battle for 29th place between Genesis and Legends flipped on that account, that is not what I would call turning things upside down. Is the possibility of flipping a one-tenth decision unaccceptable to you? (If so, you must have been a barrel of laughs when the colorguard caption was being introduced.)

lets see if you dont call it turning things upside down if you were on the losing end of this....and on any level top 5 or bottom 5 doesnt matter things can shift quite a bit and not only call a championship but also it could change night to night which is fine but things can change for no apparent reason other than a given corps happend to have more fans that night....which has nothing to do with good or bad

Can you explain that debunking please? The readers digest version is OK if you've had to do it before.

OK. His claim is that most corps had "nothing to do with DCI". In reality, as early as the mid-1970s, the majority of corps participated in at least one DCI-sanctioned contest each year, and thus had something to do with DCI. In fact, so many local corps were participating in DCI events that they lobbied their local circuits to adopt DCI rules.

Fix the economy, so people have more surplus money to spend on entertainment.

This is simplistic and unfounded. I posted a chart some time back that compared DCI's budget to GDP and, at best, there was a very low corollation between the two. DCI's revenues have stayed remarkably consistant through good economies and bad.

The 1990's was a massively good economic environment, with profits flowing (led by the tech industry before the crash), investors cashing in, low unemployment, and an astonishing viewpoint of a "new normal" of endless capitalistic success. Drum corps didn't get much of that.

Drum corps was always the turtle in the race. It survived the crashes as the turtle, too. It can be said that drum corps is almost completely non-corollated to the economy.

Having any fan involvement in the decision of placement is really an idea that will only create chaos, and a more frustrating competitive environment for the corps as well as the fans IMO. The judging system, today or any other time period, is subjective and will rarely land the way all of the fans can agree no matter what changes are implemented.

The real issue as I see it, is the entertainment of the fans. From reading posts, especially ones over the last several weeks, I feel that fans in general (not speaking for everyone) are disappointed in the lack of accessibility to the show music, and sometimes the theme, for those that seem to be at or near the top on a regular basis. It is a feeling of "corps X is playing to the sheets, not to the fans" and to some degree I think that is a fair assessment (and this is not a BD bash. Other corps have been guilty of this over the years as well). Some corps have clearly attempted to push the activity, yet try and be more fan friendly in the process. What I would like to see, and I suspect is the feeling of several others, is to have the fan friendly portion be more important.

I am not sure how this would be achieved, however I feel VERY strongly that allowing any portion of the competition be decided by fans is not the answer to this issue.

I do enjoy the dialogue on how we get what is desired. It would be nice to have "the powers" listen to some of us fans on this issue. And I also think the Cesario project is a step in the right direction, but I fear Michael is so close to the inside that what we desire may never be seen on the field. I hope I am wrong, and I will stick around to see how it all plays out.

• Like 1

Right now, competition is so stagnated that just about anything that rocks the boat would be a positive. Granted, audience voting wouldn't be my first choice....but I think we need some small portion of the 100 points given out by people outside of the long-time DCI judging pool. They can be entertainment industry professionals, performers, musicians, music teachers, or even trained judges from other marching music circuits....anyone that brings a fresh perspective, and won't be guided by last night's recaps.

• Like 1

Right now, competition is so stagnated that just about anything that rocks the boat would be a positive. Granted, audience voting wouldn't be my first choice....but I think we need some small portion of the 100 points given out by people outside of the long-time DCI judging pool. They can be entertainment industry professionals, performers, musicians, music teachers, or even trained judges from other marching music circuits....anyone that brings a fresh perspective, and won't be guided by last night's recaps.

This. Or, I would also say persuaded to what is good and excellent by very connected staff, vendors and administration.