Troopers 2013

While I'm just as happy for Troop right now, it was a very small margin and we all know that everyone within striking distance is going to be gunning for Blue Stars' current position. It's going to be all out battle!

They need to set their sights higher. Cavies are within reach. And there is a historically relevant scenario - in 1979, at this part of the season Troopers were in about 16th place, Crossmen in 6th. We all know how it ended -

• Like 2

While I'm just as happy for Troop right now, it was a very small margin and we all know that everyone within striking distance is going to be gunning for Blue Stars' current position. It's going to be all out battle!

You're right Terri. Troop still has a lot of cleaning do. I hope that color guard can excel. Weapons seem weak and lack that black b.... attitude. That should come with time.

• Like 1

They need to set their sights higher. Cavies are within reach. And there is a historically relevant scenario - in 1979, at this part of the season Troopers were in about 16th place, Crossmen in 6th. We all know how it ended -

As cool as that would be, this isn't the 70's anymore and jumping from not making finals to 7th/8th just doesn't happen. Sorry. They shown last night they are still in the finals race, but they far from proved at being able to keep up to competition that is 5 points ahead of them.

• Like 3

As cool as that would be, this isn't the 70's anymore and jumping from not making finals to 7th/8th just doesn't happen. Sorry. They shown last night they are still in the finals race, but they far from proved at being able to keep up to competition that is 5 points ahead of them.

You may be right, but being "realistic" does something to my bowels and gives me the runs...so, I'm gonna forego that attitude.

It's time for the Troopers to shed the mindset of, "maybe, just maybe we can make Saturday night," and instead don an attitude of, "We're the Troopers and you're not! Do you see the sun? It's high noon and we're gonna kick some ###!"

There is no reason that this corps can't do what the Scouts have done over the past few years.

• Like 7

Before I begin my honest assessment of the show and Troop's chances, this show is fantastic. They wouldn't have to change a thing and it's easily going to be on the theater broadcast for Prelims at this point. After last year, I assume that the goal was the re-energize the base and the members with a great show and use it as a stepping ground for 2014. Using that view, the design team exceeded all expectations and I thank them for it.

However, there are a few elements that are missing that could keep the corps from making it into Finals this year. It's a lack of two things:

1. Obvious difficulty - Show design will get you a long way, but showing off your chops helps get you in there. I love the show, but it is missing those in-your-face difficult sections that help improve repertory scores.

2. The opening/closing minutes - From the start of "Magnificent 7" to the end of the Sunburst, the show is wonderful. It's just those first and last minutes that seem to sit there, more the first. The last minute is great, but I'd love more crazy drill (see #1 above).

I have a feeling a new ending is incoming post-Sunburst based on the music changes from Minneapolis, and I hope that there will be some changes in the fanfare incoming... the corps has two days off before San Antonio to slot those changes in. Everything else can be added as they travel.

Troop's real strength is the fact that this show hit the field fully-formed, unlike Xmen or BStars. Except for the ending with the pseudo-flag, the staff has been able to focus on cleaning instead of fixing. There's no reason that if the corps can get their execution up that the new judging sheets will favor a Finals berth.

I'm really excited to see them perform on Saturday. Bring on the next evolution.

• Like 2

History won't repeat itself. I was there in '79 and it won't happen again.

• Like 1

History won't repeat itself. I was there in '79 and it won't happen again.

I too was there in '79 and think it very well could.

• Like 1

By the time we get to DCI East, if not sooner, I have a feeling Troopers and the rest will be chasing Spirit, not Blue Stars. Blue Stars are a solid No. 12 and on the verge of moving into No. 11.

Even my bias for all things Blue Star aside, I really agree. Spirit is looking a repeat of last year's stagnation, and finishing just .1 ahead of 12th at Minneapolis, any judging or performance specific problems aside, is not where they want to be. They're going to have to fight hard to stay in 11th.