HS marching band show controversy

It was a Vietnamese flag at the end of the SCV show, Mike; red field with a yellow star, not a hammer and sickle.

Which made sense, Saigon (aka "Ho Chi Minh City") not being located anywhere in the old USSR and all... :tongue:

I remember SCV ending their "Miss Saigon" show with a giant unveiling of a hammer and sickle that offended some outspoken people.

Are political sensibilities too hot to handle with shows that aren't meant to offend some values or praise controversial ideals?

I believe this is a legitimate issue that could possibly sneak up on some designers who don't anticipate such a reaction. What are your thoughts?

I find it inconceivable that a reasonably intelligent show designer that incorporates a hammer and sickle into a show routine, or some other political insignia would not be aware of the potential audience reaction of such an introduction of a political insignia and/ or statement. I believe that both the audience as well as the show designers posesss sufficient foresight and intelligence to immediately recognize a political element that is, or will be, incorporated into a Corps show. Thats how I see it anyway, Michael.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I find it inconceivable that a reasonably intelligent show designer that incorporates a hammer and sickle into a show routine, or some other political insignia would not be aware of the potential audience reaction of such an introduction of a political insignia and/ or statement. I believe that both the audience as well as the show designers posesss sufficient foresight and intelligence to immediately recognize a political element that is, or will be, incorporated into a Corps show. Thats how I see it anyway, Michael.

Your post is so funny!

For crying out loud. This has nothing to do with the show design and everything to do with someone taking a show design and making it a complete political statement. What is the next step - removing historical references in history books?

This is so smalltown....people who have no exposure to anything. God forbid they could have seen WGI`s Fantasia routine earlier in the year.

• Like 5

This 'audience' reaction didn't happen at a contest. In fact the band was warmly received at their last competition.

The 'controversy' was one yahoo at a football game who probably paid no attention at all to the program or performers but decided on his own that it's unpatriotic to have the hammer/sickle appear on a football field.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

This 'audience' reaction didn't happen at a contest. In fact the band was warmly received at their last competition.

Think they won that competition in their class too.

Heaven forbid the Daily Mirror finds THAT out..... Poor conservative, rural Adams County will get labled a hotbed of Communism. What next... USSR flag at the Gettysburg Square?

Your post is so funny!

For crying out loud. This has nothing to do with the show design and everything to do with someone taking a show design and making it a complete political statement. What is the next step - removing historical references in history books?

This is so smalltown....people who have no exposure to anything. God forbid they could have seen WGI`s Fantasia routine earlier in the year.

My guess, you didn't understand Michael's Question and/ or my response to his question. Michael asked if its possible for a show designer to have an issue that ( quote ) "could possibly sneak up on some designers who don't anticipate such a reaction " ( with a political statement or insignia, symbols, etc) My response said it would be " inconceivable ". I took no position on the efficacy of a politcal statement being made one way or the other in a show.

Edited by BRASSO

While we can debate the nuances of free speech, art, or pageantry, there are really only two issues for me: 1) Show presentation as what could be considered as a 'promotion' of the 1917 Soviet Revolution which brought Joseph Stalin into power;

The other issue for you Stu might be one of History as well. Stalin did not come into power in Russia in 1917. Lenin ( and Trotsky ) did. Stalin did not come into power until 7 years later ( 1924) after he seized power after the death of Lenin, and his exiling of Trotsky.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

My guess, you didn't understand Michael's Question and/ or my response to his question. Michael asked if its possible for a show designer to have an issue that ( quote ) "could possibly sneak up on some designers who don't anticipate such a reaction " ( with a political statement or insignia, symbols, etc) My response said it would be " inconceivable ". I took no position on the efficacy of a politcal statement being made one way or the other in a show.

I do not think what the band did was inflammatory nor should the designer and instructors of this program be so accountable after so many other groups including SCV have used this concept before with no repercussions.

After all, this was part of history. History is taught in schools. History is full of moments that we all don`t like.

It`s not like they did `Caligula - The Musical!`

Think they won that competition in their class too.

Heaven forbid the Daily Mirror finds THAT out..... Poor conservative, rural Adams County will get labled a hotbed of Communism. What next... USSR flag at the Gettysburg Square?

And here's a drum corps tie-in :

Drill Designer - Gilles Ouellette (Marching Momentum Designs)

Music Arrangements - John Meehan (JKS Music Productions)