HS marching band show controversy

So I suppose everyone who gets married and uses the Wedding March is promoting anti-semetic thought....since it was composed by Wagner....right???

Or I suppose I'm a devotee of Satan because of where I marched??

This is the kind of idiot thought that would make me rip my hair out, if I had any.

Since drum corps are private organizations they're a lot less vulnerable to this sort of thing than marching bands. We have people on hear all the time making petty, inane complaints. Phantom Regiment is too violent! Cadets guard uniforms were taken from a violent movie! Marc Sylvester is wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt! Etc. None of it effects the corps in any way whatsoever. But when you get schools, "children", and local media involved it doesn't take much to raise a stink. What's amazing is that this doesn't happen more often. I'm from an extremely conservative area and I've seen a blue billion of these Russian shows, some complete with pictures of Lenin, Stalin, and the whole gang. Never heard one complaint. I guess most of the people who might complain are usually at the concessions stand during halftime. Shame that the band director buckled to this one crackpot.

Of course the hammer and sickle has sweet ####-all to do with Stalin as it predates his raise to power. Not at all the same as the swastika which was very much integral to Hitler's ideology. Though if the band really wanted to depict 1917 then they'd use the hammer and plow which was more prevalent during the actual Revolution.

Show Designers are " held accountable " by both judges, audiences, and the Corps Management.

Say I`m a show designer and I want to do a particular themed show.

Wouldn`t a lot of other people have to give their approval to do said show? Aren`t there discussions before hand regarding what the best avenue would be for the group prior to the show being designed?

Also, once a concept has been decided - aren`t there steps implemented to measure the progress and direction of this concept or does everyone suddenly show up and say `What the hey?`

Maybe someone should do a show on how greedy American capitalist have started wars all over the world and killed hundreds of thousands, all in the name of profit. Pink Floyd’s “Money” would work for the music.

Sure, why not ? And the public would have the right to respond to this in any peaceful manner that they so desire too... whether its a letter to an editor, peaceful protest, boycott, verbal hostility, or recommend it for show of the year, and throw babies in squealish delight... and anything, and everything in between. People even have a right to ignore others too. Whether its a disgruntled audience goer, a news station, or a Show Designer that wants to ruffle the feathers of audiemce goers or whatever.

Edited by BRASSO

Say I`m a show designer and I want to do a particular themed show.

Wouldn`t a lot of other people have to give their approval to do said show? Aren`t there discussions before hand regarding what the best avenue would be for the group prior to the show being designed?

Also, once a concept has been decided - aren`t there steps implemented to measure the progress and direction of this concept or does everyone suddenly show up and say `What the hey?`

Sure. It happens every day of the week in the Performing Arts, whether its Drum Corps, Stage, Theatre... and everyone responsible for the show is " held accountable", although the responsibility is elevated for those most rersponsible for its creation. I'm surprised you would ask me this. Lots of very capable people sit around a table and agree to do a show with its blueprints clear to all., and that show when brought to production might have to close down in a matter of days, or it becomes a Classic, or something in between. You can bet your life that banks that provided loans to show designers on shows that lost money will be " held accountable ". Lots of very good collective minds put together collossal flops for shows. And they are all " held accountable " for these flops. And every bit as much as the ones who takes a bow on a stage for winning an Emmy or a Tony. Show Designers in Bands and Drum Corps are likewise held responsible for what goes out in show design, theme. Was Michael Gaines " held accountable " for his show Design whren he was with The Cavaliers doing Show Design ? Was Allen Hinshaw the Cavaliers Visual show designer for the 2012 Cavs show likewise" held accountable " for this year's edition of The Cavaliers ?

Edited by BRASSO

Gotta rememebr this one. :tongue:

DCA shows but remember two controversies (at least for some people):

1) Buccaneers had a show in the early 70s where they had flags of different nations. Supposedly they had the Soviet flag in there somwhere. Never saw the show just hear some griping few years later.

2) Rochester Crusaders played Jesus Christ Superstar a lot in the 70s with Garden of Gueseminee(sp) as a slow stand still middle piece. One year they had a corps member dressed as Christ being whipped during "Garden". Not sure they ever did it more than once as it got REAL quiet..... except inour area where the corps BM said "you think we've thought when you're late for practice.... Rochester beats you". :devil:

I thought that was the Hurricanes around 72-73(?). Opened that portion of the show with America the Beautiful then did maybe 4 songs from different countries (Britain, France, China or Japan and Russia) then closed with What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love.

Maybe the band should have copied VKs version of the 88(?) show were Communism is overthrown.

Dont quite remember the particulars, but I do remember guards, workers with a hammer and a sickle and a sign saying "Now Thats Art".

I'm surprised you woould ask me this.

I don't think the show designer is 100% responsible but hey, someone's gotta' be to blame.

I'm also surprised by many things - for example, why does NBC think it's such a good idea to do a remake of "The Munsters"........

Edited by LincolnV

Sure. They are held accountable. A few Show Designers get fired after every season for subpar show designs from what was expected of them by Corps Directors and their Board. Others get rave reviews, promotions, raises in income, etc. This is no revelation to anyone, I would imagine. As far as audiences are concerned, here as well, Show Designers get all sorts of feedback on what people think of their show design, and they are most certainly " held accountable " by audiences for its show concepts and overall show design.

well if we're saying fans being offended gets people fired, Scott Chandler must have pictures of BD board members with farm animals then.

• Like 2

An early comment here pointed out that HS is a publicly-funded enterprise, which exposes it to taxpayer's wrath (even if it's just one). Very true...

But, but, but...

Drum corps is also publicly-funded as a tax-exempt organization under the rules of a government entity (the IRS). So, logic would suggest that someone could complain about a particular drum corps show design or representation and stop it from taking the field.

"In addition to being anti-war, Dada was also anti-bourgeois and had political affinities with the radical left." (Wiki)

Dadaism may not raise eyebrows in the current administration, but it certainly might offend the senses of at least one fan in the stands.

It's just a matter of time.

:tongue:

what's in it for me if I give my FanNetwork log in to Fox news?

• Like 2

I don't think the show designer is 100% responsible but hey, someone's gotta' be to blame.

Absolutely. The one person that chiefly gets " the blame " when it goes awry is also the same one person that gets to take the principal bow when it all goes well too. Thats how its supposed to work.

Edited by BRASSO