HS marching band show controversy

Edit: Just saw something funny about the Daily Mail article. The band show is actually about the Russian composer and his name isn't even in the article. Well nothing about the show is in the article either. :doh:

Talk about getting your high school band show in the news....

Some of the comments on the Daily Mail article are stretching this to interplanetary proportions.

What was the worst thing to ever get complaints in a DCI show? IIRC, wasn't there something back in the mid-80's where some people complained that Spirit of Atlanta's male guard members were not wearing shirts during a portion of their show?

Edited by LincolnV

Some of the comments on the Daily Mail article are stretching this to interplanetary proportions.

Gotta rememebr this one. :tongue:

What was the worst thing to ever get complaints in a DCI show? IIRC, the only thing I can think of is that back in the mid-80's there were complaints about Spirit of Atlanta's male guard members not wearing shirts during a portion of their show so by the end of the season, they had to put something on to cover their bare chests.

DCA shows but remember two controversies (at least for some people):

1) Buccaneers had a show in the early 70s where they had flags of different nations. Supposedly they had the Soviet flag in there somwhere. Never saw the show just hear some griping few years later.

2) Rochester Crusaders played Jesus Christ Superstar a lot in the 70s with Garden of Gueseminee(sp) as a slow stand still middle piece. One year they had a corps member dressed as Christ being whipped during "Garden". Not sure they ever did it more than once as it got REAL quiet..... except inour area where the corps BM said "you think we've tought when you're late for practice.... Rochester beats you". :devil:

I find this story especially funny because it features the works of Shostakovich...who was pretty vehemently anti-communist. So really to say it's a celebration of communism over one depiction of the hammer and sickle vs. a whole show full of music composed by a man fully against the Soviet regime is quite hilarious. If only people wouldn't jump to conclusions over such small things.

• Like 2

Pretty funny to use the music of Shostakovich in a show about the 1917 Russian revolution. He was 11 at the time. Regarding Shostakovich's anti-communism, he was educated in the system and enjoyed the benefits of the government for most of his adult life.

Another example of the tail wagging the dog.

Personally I don't blame those who complained, we're all entitled to out opinions. I blame those who thought the opposite but said nothing....

finally, being a Brit I feel I must apologise for the Daily Mail. They are a famously right wing publication, this kind of story is just their bag... inaccuracies are also a speciality as you have read.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 1

Hammer and sickle makes me think of VK '92. Now that's art!

• Like 3

While we can debate the nuances of free speech, art, or pageantry, there are really only two issues for me: 1) Show presentation as what could be considered as a 'promotion' of the 1917 Soviet Revolution which brought Joseph Stalin into power; and 2) The venue being an extracurricular scholastic marching band halftime/contest show. Folks, the Soviet Revolution which brought Stalin into power was just as atrocious as the beginnings of Nazi Germany or the era which brought Pol Pot into power that degenerated into the Killing Fields within Cambodia/Vietnam; all of which purposely, without equivocation, had regimes which attempted to commit a form of genocide. Imagine, if you will, a show entitled Berlin 1942 with swastika flags and frames on the field representing gas chambers with German music and presented in what could be considered as a 'positive' presentation; and do this at a scholastic halftime/contest show (or even in DCI); and that is the same, yes the same as a 'positive' presentation of Russia 1917.

While we can debate the nuances of free speech, art, or pageantry, there are really only two issues for me: 1) Show presentation as what could be considered as a 'promotion' of the 1917 Soviet Revolution which brought Joseph Stalin into power; and 2) The venue being an extracurricular scholastic marching band halftime/contest show. Folks, the Soviet Revolution which brought Stalin into power was just as atrocious as the beginnings of Nazi Germany or the era which brought Pol Pot into power that degenerated into the Killing Fields within Cambodia/Vietnam; all of which purposely, without equivocation, had regimes which attempted to commit a form of genocide. Imagine, if you will, a show entitled Berlin 1942 with swastika flags and frames on the field representing gas chambers with German music and presented in what could be considered as a 'positive' presentation; and do this at a scholastic halftime/contest show (or even in DCI); and that is the same, yes the same as a 'positive' presentation of Russia 1917.

Ay Dios Mio!

It's marching band. Flutes, clarinets, drums and spinning flags. No one has bothered to pay attention to the activity unless a band was run over by a football team - and even that didn't make the Daily Mail.

This show is not the first to use such props.

• Like 3

But is the show a "promotion" of the Soviet revolution or a really bad choice of props that make "that" picture look like a promo for the Revolution. Was tired when I saw the news report last night (should be the same clip as what's in the link I gave). LOL - show title is being changed to contain the composers name and the props are being removed and or changed. IIRC, the year was chosen because the revolution props stood out better.. but need to watch the clip again. IMO - kind of a dumb call by whoever designed the show, especially in a conservative white bread area like Adams County.

I find this story especially funny because it features the works of Shostakovich...who was pretty vehemently anti-communist. So really to say it's a celebration of communism over one depiction of the hammer and sickle vs. a whole show full of music composed by a man fully against the Soviet regime is quite hilarious. If only people wouldn't jump to conclusions over such small things.

a) You really expect the audience, whether at a football game or a contest, to capture and understand that very subtle nuance?; and b) You really think that marching band/drum corps is a great place to teach academic understandings of historical aspects?