Cadets show to be edited

Geoff

Just curious...would anyone be upset, if, to keep the flow of the recording going, towards the end of the season a corps would record those snippets of the show that might present licensing problems and then offer them for audio substitution if the need arises? Yes, it wouldn't be a pure Finals performance, but it would be more seamless than hearing total silence for several seconds. Thought?

I was thinking a similar thought. I heard that Cavaliers last year also had a good idea they wouldn't clear copy rights, and anyone who is in the business of having to clear copy right hurdles annually has a good sense of what will and will not be easy to acquire. I would be 100% fine with corps making an audio recording of the offending "phrases" minus the samples and then having producers splice it into the show if copy right permissions become unobtainable. DCI cuts & pastes audio & video from Prelims - Finals all the time anyway, so I don't think this would be a huge deal. I'd rather have that happen than an audio drop of a few seconds (or the debacle of Madison Scouts' 2011 show, where there is no video for the closer). I think this would be fairly easy for corps to do, and if it's handled with the stipulation that this ONLY happens in cases of questionable sampling that permissions might not be granted, I think there wouldn't be problems.

audiodb? Doesn't it make sense that the voice track would be captured separately, or at least segregatable on the master?

I'll clarify with my audio-EE brother, but I'm expecting that they edited out just the voice.

As someone else has mentioned, the way DCI records their shows the voice can't be removed without removing all of the audio. You can do the reverse (record a live show and then add audio samples in post-production), but you can't just take out the voice samples.

Let me get this straight, they're editing out voice?

And the problem is?...

The problem is (as I'm sure you've realized by now) cutting the voices means everything else going on audio-wise underneath the voice samples will also be cut. In one instance it would seem there will be no audio and just video; in another case they simply cut the entire audio AND video from the production - like the phrase never existed.

I'd rather have that happen than an audio drop of a few seconds (or the debacle of Madison Scouts' 2011 show, where there is no video for the closer).

Don't forget, Madison "expected as much" as well. I don't understand the mindset, honestly, and I don't really get those who are ok with it, either.

Mike

• Like 1

Maybe DCI should start asking corps to NOT use samples and voice overs on Thursday or Friday of finals week. That way they can get a clean recording on the books without the potentially troublesome material?

When I used to interview figure skaters, I was sometimes at shows that were being recorded for later television broadcast. Those shows that were not judged competitions were not free of falls and other tumbles. After the public performance, the skaters who wanted to clean up something they did would come out and one by one would take turns skating to that section of the music. The clean run of the troublesome spot in their show would then be spliced into the video for broadcast.

Perhaps...and I'm only suggesting this as a possibility...corps could apply for a do-over of such possible voice-over segments of their shows for Thursday's Prelims. They would have to apply for this prior to the final show that determines the Prelims line-up so the schedule could be modified. Each applicant would receive one extra minute upon completing their show for the recorded do-over, which would be done in standstill formation. (If it's a part of the drill where the horns are facing backwards, they could just turn around to play, and if the drums are off in a corner, they could set up there.) And then, while recording, the guard could be moving sets and other stuff off the field. Equipment tractors would have to be silenced during this time.

Not every corps would need this, and it would only be for the segments of the show using copyrighted audio material. So...I'm guessing it would add just a few minutes to the entire contest, which I admit is already pretty long. I know this could cause a situation with the theater broadcast, but I believe that could be worked out.

If a corps didn't need the full minute, the next corps could start set-up as soon as possible. If they needed more, they could apply for an extension. But again, it would have to be done prior to the show that determines the Prelims schedule so that schedule would accommodate the extra time. The show seldom runs to the exact timing, anyhow.

If a corps in the final fifteen groups that is on the theater broadcast needs the extra time, Rondinaro and DeLucia can vamp on each other's hair.

• Like 3

they should be able to edit out just the voice

That'd be a neat trick.

• Like 1

Don't forget, Madison "expected as much" as well. I don't understand the mindset, honestly, and I don't really get those who are ok with it, either.

Mike

May I beg to differ?

ESOM was a theme cap to a theme show. Care to suggest an alternative that would have been as effective?