Cadets show to be edited

Geoff

Before all trace of the sampled audio vanishes, can someone identify one of the pieces for me? This is what I make out in Cadets' 2012 show:

1. Preshow

Stephen Fry reading, from The Night Before Christmas (aka A Visit from St. Nicholas): "Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse." (9 seconds) - TO BE RETAINED

2. Just before "Jingle Bells"

Lucy speaking, from A Charlie Brown Christmas: "Look, Charlie, let’s face it: we all know Christmas is a big commercial racket." (5 seconds) - TO BE CUT

3. Just after "Jingle Bells"

Jazzy choir (of Cadet members?) singing: "Oh, yeah! Oh, yeah! … Oh, yeah!" (10 seconds) - TO BE RETAINED?

4. During "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing" (and some other tunes in quick succession)

4.a. Charlie Brown and Linus speaking, from ACBC: "I guess I really don’t know what Christmas is all about" // "Sure Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about." (8 seconds) - TO BE CUT

4.b. Followed quickly by the Narrator (Boris Karloff) speaking, from How the Grinch Stole Christmas!: "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more." (10 seconds) - TO BE CUT

4.c. Followed after a few seconds by four overlapping voices (5 seconds):

4.c.i. Linus reading from ACBC: "Behold! I bring you tidings of great joy." - TO BE CUT

4.c.ii. unidentified (male voice) speaking - TO BE CUT* (presumably)

4.c.iii. Buddy (Will Ferrell) speaking, from Elf: "Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear" - TO BE CUT

4.c.iv. Rudolph speaking, from Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer: "It would be an honor, sir" - TO BE CUT

5. At the beginning of "Angels We Have Heard on High"

An "angelic" voice, singing "In excelsis deo" (4 seconds) - TO BE RETAINED?

All told it looks like about 35 seconds will be cut.

*What is the item I have bolded, that overlaps Linus and Buddy? I thought perhaps Jimmy Stewart from It's a Wonderful Life, but I can't be sure.

audiodb? Doesn't it make sense that the voice track would be captured separately, or at least segregatable on the master?

I'll clarify with my audio-EE brother, but I'm expecting that they edited out just the voice.

Well, first of all, it sounds like they are removing all audio for the offending portions, either by editing those spots completely out, or by muting the audio while the video remains.

Now, as for whether you can selectively remove the voice part from the recording, leaving the rest of the audio behind it intact....not really. I have performed that kind of magic on recordings myself, but only with 50-year-old monophonic material. It gets far more difficult when the recording is:

- in stereo, or multitrack

- professional quality

- acoustically live venue (especially a dome....dome....dome)

Granted, sounds coming from the corps' speakers are selectively recorded by dedicated mics at world-class championship week events. You can tell how much of a difference this makes from some of the recent APDs that were mixed without those speaker mics. But the speaker sounds are still picked up by the other mics. The question, then, is not whether you can remove those sounds to your own satisfaction, but whether you can satisfy the rights owner that they are completely gone.

That leaves two choices. Spend hours and hours of unpaid labor detuning those voice samples (and their echoes), and hope the original artist doesn't object....or spend a few minutes removing all audio from those segments, leaving no doubt. Guess which one DCI's lawyer will recommend....and rightfully so (pun intended).

Well, first of all, it sounds like they are removing all audio for the offending portions, either by editing those spots completely out, or by muting the audio while the video remains.

Now, as for whether you can selectively remove the voice part from the recording, leaving the rest of the audio behind it intact....not really. I have performed that kind of magic on recordings myself, but only with 50-year-old monophonic material. It gets far more difficult when the recording is:

- in stereo, or multitrack

- professional quality

- acoustically live venue (especially a dome....dome....dome)

Granted, sounds coming from the corps' speakers are selectively recorded by dedicated mics at world-class championship week events. You can tell how much of a difference this makes from some of the recent APDs that were mixed without those speaker mics. But the speaker sounds are still picked up by the other mics. The question, then, is not whether you can remove those sounds to your own satisfaction, but whether you can satisfy the rights owner that they are completely gone.

That leaves two choices. Spend hours and hours of unpaid labor detuning those voice samples (and their echoes), and hope the original artist doesn't object....or spend a few minutes removing all audio from those segments, leaving no doubt. Guess which one DCI's lawyer will recommend....and rightfully so (pun intended).

I appreciate the challenge of the situation, but if it takes hours of unpaid labor then it takes hours of unpaid labor. It is DCI's responsiblity and, after last year's debacle, I don't think inconvenience is going to sound like a decent excuse to many people.

To their satisfaction? Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect this is such a small deal to the copyright holders they are unlikely to care enough to spend the time listening to determine whether it is to their satisfaction. They may well just say no automatically to concerns this small because it isn't worth their time to investigate compared to licensing opportunities that could bring in serious money. If DCI says they edited out, or even if they don't say anything but just do it, I suspect that would be the end of it.

If DCI can't get the relevant voice samples cleanly enough out of the finals audio, I would note that many of the voice samples in the prelims are at a much lower volume, such that it is not easy to hear them to begin with, so I would think they could get there if they sub in the prelims audio for those spots.

And as far as professional quality is concerned, compared to a big ugly jarring gap of silence I think I am OK with not quite perfect.

can we be lucky enough to hope BD didn't get clearance for the dada doodoo too?

• Like 6

can we be lucky enough to hope BD didn't get clearance for the dada doodoo too?

Since its Dada, they could not get clearance for any portion of the show, lest the show is discovered as fake by conforming to rules and thus being required to return the title. Therefore, DCI I am sure was forced to take on all liability by BD (again Dada) and use the full recording no matter the outcome.

Hint: Don't get your flugelhorns all in a fuss if you don't understand sarcasm.

• Like 2

Since its Dada, they could not get clearance for any portion of the show, lest the show is discovered as fake by conforming to rules and thus being required to return the title. Therefore, DCI I am sure was forced to take on all liability by BD (again Dada) and use the full recording no matter the outcome.

Sarcasticorps!

• Like 1

So it will become even more important in the weeks following Finals to frantically scour "that web site" and download all those unauthorized full show postings before they get taken down...just in case ... :hmmm:

Sigh...

Or just buy the semifinals APDs when the bundles come out! :)

(I have all of the top 25 in their pristine, night before finals glory!)

True, but that doesn't help for those who would like to watch, correct? (not fully up to speed on what you get from Fan Network)

or just get rid of narration since it hasn't added anything positive to any show yet, imo.

• Like 1

:spitting: