Cadets show to be edited

Geoff

they should be able to edit out just the voice

That isn't how the letter sounded to me but I really hope they can. Something needs to be there before the big hit.

If it is a little rough maybe they can smooth it over with one of those winter wind sounds. Even if it isn't quite perfect, it would be much better than a big gap of silence or an abrupt skip at a moment of emotional impact in the show.

• Like 1

That isn't how the letter sounded to me but I really hope they can. Something needs to be there before the big hit.

If it is a little rough maybe they can smooth it over with one of those winter wind sounds. Even if it isn't quite perfect, it would be much better than a big gap of silence or an abrupt skip at a moment of emotional impact in the show.

well, judging by the reaction, it doesn't really seem that the Cadets put an importance on having their best product on the DVD. I'm not really sure why, but that's what seems to be the case...

• Like 1

This may not be a huge problem. I downloaded the prelims from DCI and some of the voice overs including Cadets, Bluecoats, and Blue Devils are barely audible, especially when compared with the San Antonio downloads. That being said, I will miss the voice overs from the Cadets show. While I'm generally not a fan of the voiceovers, I did find it worked for the Cadets. Keep in mind even at fifty, I'm still a sucker for "A Charlie Brown Christmas," "Rudolph," and the Grinch!

A state of confusion, most days.

You missed your calling then. You could've been an NFL Replacement Ref.

Audio engineer here...

They will not be able to edit out JUST the voice without taking out all of the corresponding frequencies in the rest of the recording .

They have stereo mics capturing the entire show, they hear everything. They could certainly dampen the sound of the voice, but not remove it completely without wrecking the rest of the recording.

The thing that sticks for me are the words "we expected such."

I agree that music/recording rights are getting out of control. I also completely understand that it's a lot of work AND takes a lot of time to apply/fight for said rights.

What I don't understand is the above comment. The person who sent the letter has indicated the effort to get the rights and because they were not attainable, the additional effort to modify the audio/video contents because they were not attainable.

Knowing everything the activity has been through lately because of this issue, why would the expectation be on DCI to have to go over and above the effort to get these rights when the opinion was "we expected such" ?

I totally agree with this. As a drum corps consumer, it feels a little annoying to hear designers/directors imply that the only thing that is important is the effect which brings points/helps them win: everything else (videos, CD's, streams, etc) is secondary and seemingly not really that important. I stopped buying WGI DVD's when designers stopped worrying about obtaining rights. I hate stretches of show where there is no audio or video because designers failed to get the legal permissions.