Cadets 2013

Story Here

"Both Sides Now" can be a very beautiful song if they choose to play it.

Edited .... Guess they won't be playing this tune if this information is correct:

Restricted Compositions: Not Available for Video Recording

http://www.musicforall.org/resources/copyright/restricted-compositions

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

I believe Hop dropped that they were seriously considering Trittico earlier as well. Not sure if/how that would give any idea into what this show concept means.

Wish they would just announce something when it's finalized for once instead of playing the hint-dropping game. Especially when their show ideas are so often not what they originally started out as.

I'm sure they mean well, but it's a bit like crying wolf. No one really expects their initial concept to be what's on the field when the season starts any more....

Hate the hint crap. Just wait and give us a full announcement. They think this will build suspense and interest, nope. It just pisses me off. Why?

A) We will speculate, unless we are lucky we will probably have no idea what it's about.

B) It would be so easy to change it. Example - Last year.

Sorry to be feisty, but unless you are going to do what Madison did with a full announcement, just wait...

Edited by DrumManTx

Hate the hint crap. Just wait and give us a full announcement. They think this will build suspense and interest, nope. It just pisses me off. Why?

A) We will speculate, unless we are lucky we will probably have no idea what it's about.

B) It would be so easy to change it. Example - Last year.

And to think that in another current thread, someone asked if the word "hell" would be allowed. Well, they didn't exactly ask, but they hinted at it since they thought it might not pass muster.

We've still got a few body functions to go, so I hope everyone doesn't just give up. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Correct.

You need to research things yourself. A lot of stuff can be negotiated or takes a long time or costs more than average or whatever.

MFA (and WGI's) lists are things that *they* won't clear for you.

One reason is what's referred to as "Favored Nation Clause," which most often states in the music industry that no party can be paid more by an entity for rights (by the permissions seeker) than another party, and if a higher rate is agreed upon for one rights holder, all contracting parties would get the same rights.

Therefore, for groups like Music for All and DCI, if they were to agree to pay a higher rate for someone who was holding out for more, the rates would automatically go up for everyone's permissions. That would be financially devastating.

I want to plead to the visual staff to work a Mobius Strip into the a design on the flags. It would be a great visual pun.

In an attempt to outdo the cube in Crown's closer this year, they'll make one on the field.

Edited by tubabeard42
  • Like 1

Wish they would just announce something when it's finalized for once instead of playing the hint-dropping game. Especially when their show ideas are so often not what they originally started out as.

1)

Hop: "I'm thinking maybe 'Both Sides Now' would work for us."

DCP: 20 pages of discussion about the merits of using pop music in drum corps.... questions and debates about obtaining music rights... arguments/speculation about the possible use of props/different uniforms in such a show.

2)

Hop: "The other day I was in a music store that sells old records, and I heard 'Boogie Till Ya Puke' from Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band. I wonder..."

DCP: 30 pages of heated discussion about whether or not an artist such as Root Boy Slim is appropriate for drum corps.... whether or not the Cadets are sullying the tradition of Holy Name by playing such music... will Root Boy's estate give up the music rights... and who the hell is Root Boy Slim, anyhow??

3)

Hop: "Zamfir. Hmmm. No drum corps has ever used pan-flute music, to my knowledge."

DCP: 50 pages of discussion about who is Zamfir, and why his music would or would not be relevant to a modern-day drum corps audience... what type of percussion writing would be needed to support such a brass book... would a "typical Cadet" high-speed visual show be appropriate for music that tends to be soft and lyrical... and perhaps the show could be designed as a "storyline" concept, taking fans inside the days of easy-listening radio, with Zamfir as the recurring theme.

First show, June 2013:

Cadets unveil their updated "West Side Story" show theme. :tongue:

• Like 7

Cadets unveil their updated "West Side Story" show theme. :tongue:

Well, they've done music from "WSS" in every decade since it's been out, and they haven't touched it yet in this decade...

But besides that, I really chuckled at that.

I'm feeling Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" for the ballad. Calling it.

No, Judy Collins...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jGFu7ys64

It's Jethro Tull part two... tongue.gif