Cadets 2013

VERY nice, Boo!

I want to plead to the visual staff to work a Mobius Strip into the a design on the flags. It would be a great visual pun.

Wow. Off the top of my head (and with some followup research on Corpsreps.com), based on MFA's restricted list there, the following drum corps shows would be blacked out today -

Restricted Compositions: Not Available for Video Recording

If your band chooses to perform the songs listed below at a MFA event, you will need to sign and return the Video Waiver Form acknowledging that you are aware that the audio will be muted or edited.

Cavaliers 2004, VK 1986 -

1.Music from any James Bond film

Vanguard Cadets - 1998

2.Music from the film Titanic

Phantom Regiment 2003, Star of Indiana 1993

3.All works by Bela Bartok

Phantom Regiment 2004, Bluecoats 2003, Cascades 2003, Madison Scouts 2007, 2009 Mandarins, 2011 Jersey Surf, 2012 Cascades

6."Libertango" by Astor Piazzolla

Bluecoats 2009

8.Non-Beatles' songs by John Lennon

Madison Scouts 1998

13.Music from the Japanese animé series Cowboy Bebop

Kiwanis Kavaliers 2003 (wait, it *was* blacked out back then, wasn't it?)

17.Any Beatles song by John Lennon or Paul McCartney

Allegiance Elite 2000

28.Music by Nobuo Uemetso

Troopers 2010

29.All Works by Bon Jovi

VK 1990

30."20th Century Fox Fanfare"

Crossmen 2004

31."From Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell

Madison 2011 (well, it was blacked out)

36."Empire State of Mind" by Alicia Keys, Shawn Carter, Janet Sewell, Angela Hunte, Al Shuckburgh, Bert Keyes, Sylvia Robinson

Boston Crusaders 2001

42.Gabriel's Oboe from The Mission by Ennio Morricone

-Mike

Wow. Off the top of my head (and with some followup research on Corpsreps.com), based on MFA's restricted list there, the following drum corps shows would be blacked out today -

Phantom Regiment 2003, Star of Indiana 1993

3.All works by Bela Bartok

Don't forget that SCV's entire show in 2010 wasn't only based on his music, but was titled for his name.

Aha! Very true.

I guess the questions to ask are -

- Did DCI cause a lot of these works to be added to the list by their corps playing them?

or, as I suspect may be the case -

- Did the fact a gazillion marching bands copy DCI shows cause these works to be added to the list?

Mike

[...list...]

I don't think that Music For All's list can be taken as the final word. For instance, much of "4. Music by Charles Ives" is in the public domain, having been composed prior to 1923.

I don't think that Music For All's list can be taken as the final word. For instance, much of "4. Music by Charles Ives" is in the public domain, having been composed prior to 1923.

Correct.

You need to research things yourself. A lot of stuff can be negotiated or takes a long time or costs more than average or whatever.

MFA (and WGI's) lists are things that *they* won't clear for you.

Edited by corpsband

Aha! Very true.

I guess the questions to ask are -

- Did DCI cause a lot of these works to be added to the list by their corps playing them?

or, as I suspect may be the case -

- Did the fact a gazillion marching bands copy DCI shows cause these works to be added to the list?

Or on the gripping hand,

- Did a bunch of lawyers realize there's money to be made surfing youtube?

Edited by corpsband

That being said, I have become so sceptical of paying attention to anything coming from Cadets this early

I agree.

Nothing against the Cadets... but it certainly does seem they throw a whole bunch of "hey, how about this for a show" ideas out there in the offseason. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose... but IMO, it gets old after a while.

When I see them on the field next summer... that's when I'll know they have chosen a 2013 program concept. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2