Cadets 2013

I believe Hop dropped that they were seriously considering Trittico earlier as well. Not sure if/how that would give any idea into what this show concept means.

Wish they would just announce something when it's finalized for once instead of playing the hint-dropping game. Especially when their show ideas are so often not what they originally started out as.

I'm sure they mean well, but it's a bit like crying wolf. No one really expects their initial concept to be what's on the field when the season starts any more....

What is the big deal? It's not like they haven't been doing this for years now. Geez.

Anyways, to a lot of other people's points, I'll wait for around March to comment on the show concept since that's when things should be finalized.

What is the big deal? It's not like they haven't been doing this for years now. Geez.

Anyways, to a lot of other people's points, I'll wait for around March to comment on the show concept since that's when things should be finalized.

Good point, and if I might take things from the specific to the general, drum corps as a group have been doing this for decades.

I think it's a tradition, as corps in the earlier years liked to get a "buzz" going about their shows. BITD we didn't have show concepts or themes, but many corps were very tight lipped about what they were playing so fans would speculate and gain interest in what they were doing. Blue Devils were pretty good about NOT disclosing, even to this day. It's perfectly OK for BD to do this, just as it's perfectly OK for Cadets (and others) to release show themes or song choices, even if they show is not 100% set for the year.

Then came the age of electronic media, and there was more information about what tunes and themes would be used. Then George Hopkins (my hero in this regard) started openly discussing show themes and releasing snippets of music. In this day and age it piques my interest to know the tunes before the season starts. There has been more than one show I have driven the extra miles because I had to see THAT special show, when a certain corps is not touring close by in my region at that time.

Not that we're voting, but George Hopkins is the best communicator with us fans of any of the directors. I think it would be good if other directors communicated a little more, because it helps us connect with our favorite corps, and understand some of these shows.

Edited by wvu80

It's not a big deal. Hop does this all the time, that's true.

I guess my deal is, why not just announce the show when the show is ready to be announced? I'm all for creating buzz, but there's a point where "buzz for buzz's sake" gets tired.

Either would be good.

I don't think that Music For All's list can be taken as the final word. For instance, much of "4. Music by Charles Ives" is in the public domain, having been composed prior to 1923.

And I suppose the rules may be different in Europe: Black Knights, who took third in the DCE championships today, opened with "1. Music from any James Bond film", specifically "Live and Let Die".

And I suppose the rules may be different in Europe: Black Knights, who took third in the DCE championships today, opened with "1. Music from any James Bond film", specifically "Live and Let Die".

What's more, Jubal, who finished fourth, played "17.Any Beatles song by John Lennon or Paul McCartney" -- that would be "Eleanor Rigby".

I believe Hop dropped that they were seriously considering Trittico earlier as well. Not sure if/how that would give any idea into what this show concept means.

Wish they would just announce something when it's finalized for once instead of playing the hint-dropping game. Especially when their show ideas are so often not what they originally started out as.

I'm sure they mean well, but it's a bit like crying wolf. No one really expects their initial concept to be what's on the field when the season starts any more....

Trittico is nice! I'm sure they would do it very well too.

It's not a big deal. Hop does this all the time, that's true.

I guess my deal is, why not just announce the show when the show is ready to be announced? I'm all for creating buzz, but there's a point where "buzz for buzz's sake" gets tired.

Maybe they should keep quiet for the entire year so people can complain about shoelaces and the price of spaghetti instead.

Maybe they should keep quiet for the entire year so people can complain about shoelaces and the price of spaghetti instead.

:)

Spaghetti IS a tad overpriced in my opinion.

• Like 1