Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

no my young friend... I've made my OPINION clear... I'm retired... I have no idea what DCA wants or doesn't want to do...

Hi Tom, just to make clear since opened my big yap to your earlier post. My concern is any future problems that may arise. Also not having a policy that ensures (IOW makes) corps check and follow thru is not good for recruiting and DCA reputation. Of course I don't know any specifics of DCAs stated policy.

I didn't know about any problems from 20 year ago in DCI until now....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The reason I stay away from DCP is some people read a post but really don't READ that post. They change the meaning around, spew it back a different way and it starts this mess that you have been reading.

Why the moderators allow this post to continue is beyond me! Is it a HUGE problem in DCA? Where are the facts that it is happenening in DCA. Some of you are on a witch hunt or more like the WMD's that were NEVER found in Iraq but the government said so.

Tom P. is right! This discussion is bad for drom corps and since it is on DCP about DCA all of you "die-hard" DCA fans are trashing your activity. Aren't there other topics to discuss that are MORE important than this? Has anyone in a DCA corps been charged with a crime? FACTS!!!! JUST THE FACTS!!!!

• Like 2

The reason I stay away from DCP is some people read a post but really don't READ that post. They change the meaning around, spew it back a different way and it starts this mess that you have been reading.

Why the moderators allow this post to continue is beyond me! Is it a HUGE problem in DCA? Where are the facts that it is happenening in DCA. Some of you are on a witch hunt or more like the WMD's that were NEVER found in Iraq but the government said so.

Tom P. is right! This discussion is bad for drom corps and since it is on DCP about DCA all of you "die-hard" DCA fans are trashing your activity. Aren't there other topics to discuss that are MORE important than this? Has anyone in a DCA corps been charged with a crime? FACTS!!!! JUST THE FACTS!!!!

With all due respect Keith, what the Hell difference does it make if it happened before in DCA? My opinion is it COULD happen and DCA should get it's act together better before it does happen. This is NOT trashing DCA, this is informing DCA that there is a problem out there that could affect it and unless DCA takes action BEFORE anything happens, DCA could be NO MORE.

Do you buy insurance after it is needed or do you get your act together before the crap hits the fan?

Facts? The danger is out there and DCA needs to protect itself better (IMO).

Oh I'll say it: A supposed PSU quote was "Let's wait until it blows over". I want DCA to make sure it is in a postion where "it" never happens. And leaving it up to the corps is not the way to do it IMO. If that bothers people that I say it out loud or bring up a sensitive subject TOUGH!!!

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Instead of just B-wording let me offer a question and suggestion. I'll let others with more legal training (Liz?) to say if this is good or not.

Question: DCA protects itself by making the corps prove they have legal ritghts to the music they play. How is this done? Do the corps send DCA all the paperwork with the proof or do they sign something stating that this has been done?

Suggestion: Could not DCA create a legal document that states, "The representatives of this corps state that all staff and volunteers have completed background checks for sexual preditors and all staff/volunteers have been cleared" followed by corps BusMang sigs.

Not a lawyer but seems to be the easiest way for DCA to protect itself. Then at least DCA can wave the paper and say "Well they signed that they were following the rules".

Instead of just B-wording let me offer a question and suggestion. I'll let others with more legal training (Liz?) to say if this is good or not.

Question: DCA protects itself by making the corps prove they have legal ritghts to the music they play. How is this done? Do the corps send DCA all the paperwork with the proof or do they sign something stating that this has been done?

Suggestion: Could not DCA create a legal document that states, "The representatives of this corps state that all staff and volunteers have completed background checks for sexual preditors and all staff/volunteers have been cleared" followed by corps BusMang sigs.

Not a lawyer but seems to be the easiest way for DCA to protect itself. Then at least DCA can wave the paper and say "Well they signed that they were following the rules".

<- not a fan of creating a document just for the sake of CYA when the easier/more rational solution is address the issue directly and decisively. but that's just me. I think in order to get close to developing a position statement like that, you have to first recognize the problem exists, and set the guidelines or expectations as to how the group will collectively address it....then it is just a short step to go ahead and suppport and implement it anyway.

I think the same situation exists with DCA as in DCI - the organization is composed, driven and represents the member organizations. very hard to distance DCA the organization from DCA the members, IMO....Pogo's "they is us" conundrum....

morning pre-coffee thoughts...

<- not a fan of creating a document just for the sake of CYA when the easier/more rational solution is address the issue directly and decisively. but that's just me. I think in order to get close to developing a position statement like that, you have to first recognize the problem exists, and set the guidelines or expectations as to how the group will collectively address it....then it is just a short step to go ahead and suppport and implement it anyway.

I think the same situation exists with DCA as in DCI - the organization is composed, driven and represents the member organizations. very hard to distance DCA the organization from DCA the members, IMO....Pogo's "they is us" conundrum....

morning pre-coffee thoughts...

Agree with the first paragraph, thanks for rolling that ball a little bit more. Not to be comparing two totally opposite things but wonder how DCA set up their current policy of knowing that corps compile with copyright legalities. Will start thread on that someone else unless there is a quick answer.

Need my coffee before thinking thru the second but think I get it....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Fact, mid 90's a DCA corps Tom P. was in involved with had a young girl join (15 years old) mother helped some with the corps, did not march and did not attend every event or trip. Youg girl became very involved with a member of the corps (mid 30's). Fact it did and does happen.

I'd be happy to offer what knowledge I have for this cause. It is very important for the long term survival of this activity.

"You've made it clear DCA wants nothing to do with it. Cool."

no my young friend... I've made my OPINION clear... I'm retired... I have no idea what DCA wants or doesn't want to do...

ok. Well I hope it doesn't blow up in their face.

Have the specifics of any incident come up in this thread??? If they have, can some one point them out to me?

And I hope a google trail leads to this. And hopefully DCA and DCI act on it.

I don't care how long the person has been out of jail. I don't care if they served their time. I wouldn't want my kid, if I had a kid (god help the world if that ever happens) to be in a corps with someone on the list. My kids will NEVER be around that close family member of mine no matter how much he wants to be a part of my life when he gets out of jail. Yeah it's different case to case. But a corps that marches kids under the age of 18 should not have anyone on that list in or around the corps.

Maybe I am just less forgiving... but the safety of kids is something I get very serious about. And there are kids who march in DCA and DCI.

And really all it takes is one lawsuit in this day in age, and say bye bye to DCA or DCI. I see no problem with DCA and DCI covering their ##### on this manner. And it's not just covering their own #####....

no names have been mentioned on these boards, by me at least. I'm not sure they have, though I do know I've seen a name or two mentioned on Facebook